Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoSound 6 with Windows 10

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Opman
Top 200 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Posts 443
Bronze Member
Opman Posted: Fri, Feb 2 2018 10:43 PM

Hi All 

A client brought in his BeoSound 6 and asked if it was still possible to import music. 

I've managed to do this using the store iMac and iTunes but I am struggling to import music from my HP laptop. Does anybody still use their BeoSound 6 and can offer any pointers?

Many thanks

Opman

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Hi Opman,

Would you mind to share how you managed to connect the Beosound 6 to iTunes.

Got a one oh these but I'm unable to connect it to anything other than headphones.

Thank you.

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 5,495
Founder

My guess is your problem could be because of the USB driver.

Windows 10 PC's will all be 64 bit and I expect that B&O only ever made a 32 bit driver meaning that you may only be able to load new music from an older 32 bit PC.

Regards Keith....

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,495
Founder

When looking at this further I had a look at the driver INF file as below which confirms this can only be used on a 32bit Windows OS or IOS

;StMp3Rec_Files_Driver = 10,System32\Drivers

;--------- Manufacturer and Models Sections ----------------------------------

[Manufacturer]
%MfgName%=Mfg0

[Mfg0]
%DeviceDesc%=StMp3Rec_DDI, USB\VID_066F&PID_3410&REV_0083
%DeviceDesc%=StMp3Rec_DDI, USB\VID_066F&PID_3410
%DeviceDesc%=StMp3Rec_DDI, USB\VID_066F&PID_3500
%DeviceDesc%=StMp3Rec_DDI, USB\VID_066F&PID_3600

;---------- DDInstall Sections -----------------------------------------------
; --------- Windows 9X -----------------

; Experimentation has shown that DDInstall root names greater than 19 characters
; cause problems in Windows 98

[StMp3Rec_DDI]
;CopyFiles=StMp3Rec_Files_Driver
AddReg=StMp3Rec_9X_AddReg

[StMp3Rec_9X_AddReg]
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,StMp3Rec.sys

; --------- Windows NT -----------------

[StMp3Rec_DDI.NT]
;CopyFiles=StMp3Rec_Files_Driver
AddReg=StMp3Rec_NT_AddReg

[StMp3Rec_DDI.NT.Services]
Addservice = StMp3Rec, 0x00000002, StMp3Rec_AddService

[StMp3Rec_AddService]
DisplayName    = %SvcDesc%
ServiceType    = 1                  ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType      = 3                  ; SERVICE_DEMAND_START
ErrorControl   = 1                  ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
ServiceBinary  = %10%\System32\Drivers\StMp3Rec.sys

[StMp3Rec_NT_AddReg]

; --------- Files (common) -------------

;[StMp3Rec_Files_Driver]
;StMp3Rec.sys

[Strings]
; English
MSFT="Microsoft"
MfgName="Microsoft"
ProviderName="Player"
MfgName="Generic"
DeviceDesc="Player Recovery Device Class"
SvcDesc="Player Recovery Device Control Driver"

Regards Keith....

Stoobietoo
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
Posts 692
Gold Member

If you have a bit of patience you could set up a virtual machine. I use ORACLE VM Virtual Box. Completely free for home use. I have 4 VMs on there. Windows XP 32bit, Windows 7 32bit, MacOS 10.14 - Mojave and Ubuntu 20.10.

That way I can get most of my older hardware connected. I use it for my Beo5 remote, Philips ProntoNG remote and a few other older items. What is also good is if you want, you can set up a VM for different versions of the software you ant to use, so I have the BEO5 CT 5.12 on one VM and CT 6.62 on another so you can switch easily withou having to install and uninstall.

It basically install a full operating system in a virtual PC and it acts like as if it was fully installed, so you feel like yo are working on Windows XP and you install programs and connect hardware in the same way you would on that version of the OS.

Stoobie

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Thank you Keith, for your prompt answer.

I've tried to connect it to a 32 bit XP PC (the same I use to program the Beo 6), but nothing happens.

After a little bit of search I did believe that the cable (that is not original B&O) is only a charging cable and not a charging/data cable.
I've open it and it looks fully wired. So I dont know If the B&O cable as something special in it and if the fact is it wired doesn't mean it is DATA.

I could like buy a generic cable advertised as DATA/CHARGING but I dont know if it will work as those sold are for Samsung YP-Z5.

Do you or anyone have any experience in generic or Samsung cables with the Beosound6.

(Appart from that, the unit is very in beautiful shape and do work with the music already on it!)

Thanks.

Stoobietoo
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
Posts 692
Gold Member

Looking here it seems that it may have originally come with 2 cables. Maybe one is for  charging and one is syncing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-RARE-CHARGER-SYNC-CABLE-Bang-Olufsen-B-O-BeoSound-6-MP3-Player/224297883200?hash=item3439321640:g:r~UAAOSw1Ylf66sJ

Stoobie

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,495
Founder

What I do know is you need a plug-in to allow the Beosound 6 to work with iTunes regardless of any USB driver issue.

The following is a quote from the launch FAQ dated September 2007

How do I transfer music to BeoSound 6?
You simply connect BeoSound 6 to your PC and use the BeoPlayer software to transfer music and covers from the PC to the digital music player. If you use Mac for transferring music, a special plug-in for iTunes will be available.

Regards Keith....

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

THank you alls.

I believe that even if I can find the plug -in one way or the other it should not be compatible with recent version of iTunes (even more on a 64 bit machine).

Tha manual also say tha on a window machine it should appear like a storage device but I cant see it. 
I'm not handy with PC computers so I dont know if I'm missing something. But because nothing happens at all (no big, no clic, only USB connected on the BS6), thats why I suspected the cable. After opening it I'm confused: wouldn't be the purpose of a charging cable to not have it fully wired?

Would  the connection on a 32 bit machine need any other step than just connecting it?

Do someone ever have connected a BS6 with a generic cable?

Is Beoport just a gateway or does it include some sort of driver which can help? (The manual seems to imply that the use of Beoport software is optional.

Thank you;

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sun, Jan 10 2021 6:15 PM

Good evening,

Following (the pictures of) the Service Manual I did go into the device manager of my windows XP32 computer.
The BeoSound did not show up in any way, confirming the theory that despite being fully wired, the cable is "charging only". Waste of copper.

I'm gonna try my luck and order another cable. Unfortunately all available are more on less Chinese ebay cables: cheap but; you never know what's in it.

Let's see. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS