Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 1100 Reel to Reel as an outboard device for music making

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

lackjawtey
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
lackjawtey Posted: Thu, Jan 14 2021 5:02 PM

Hello guys! First post here. I recently moved to Sweden where the local listings are awash with B&O things. I picked up a Beocord 1100 reel to reel recorder for basically nothing. I'm a musician and I like the idea of piping things out of my interface, into the 1100 and back into my interface. It has pesky 5 pin DIN inputs and outputs, which I'm sure you're all mighty familiar with. I'm assuming to get this to work I'll have to do as follows. 

Output of interface -> Jack to RCA -> RCA to DIN -> Input of 1100 

Record 

Output of 1100 -> DIN to RCA -> RCA to Jack -> Input of interface 

Play back

I'm going to assume that DIN -> Jack cables don't exist? Any advice, even more general advice, would be fantastic. I also haven't bought any tape for it yet so any pointers on that would be great. Thanks! 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Jan 14 2021 5:19 PM

Pesky?
Why?

Compared to RCA, there is very little that can go wrong with DIN connectors;
- In most cases, you'll only need one cable between a tapedeck and an amplifier/receiver
- You have both inputs, both outputs and all grounds connected in one go
- You won't mix up left and right
- You won't mix up outputs and inputs
- You can't short anything (unless you really try)
- The ground connection(s) are far better
and they are not as generally flimsy as many RCA cables.

Ask Steve at Soundsheavenly, I'm sure he can make the cable(s) you need, so you won't have to convert and adapt back and forth.

Martin

lackjawtey
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

DIN have never wronged me personally, I've just had to do a lot of adaptation to interface pieces of gear. They're alright in my book. 

I contacted Steve, he unfortunately (or fortunately, if he's busy in this weird time) has a 6 month waiting list! 

Thanks for your input. 

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Thu, Jan 14 2021 7:51 PM

lackjawtey:
I'm going to assume that DIN -> Jack cables don't exist? Any advice, even more general advice, would be fantastic. I also haven't bought any tape for it yet so any pointers on that would be great. Thanks! 

It is good for Steve that he is busy - but then there are many other places you can buy DIN>-Jack cables...

B&O 5 Pin Din to 3.5mm TRS Jack Cable. AUX Interconnect Bang and Olufsen Lead – Custom Lynx (custom-lynx.co.uk)

lackjawtey
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Thank, that's perfect! 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS