Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BM-Link Doesn't Work

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

BeoHound9000
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 9
Bronze Member
BeoHound9000 Posted: Sat, Mar 10 2012 12:10 AM

Hello everyone. It seems my finally completed setup isn't without issues. As some of you might have read, my Beo4 was failing. The center has replaced it and now that works, but what doesn't is the BeoPort that they also installed.

I had to restart my Mac and when I did, the BM link program would revert to "Disabled" as soon as I selected N.Music or N.Radio from the remote. If I enabled the program, I still  would get no sound. I restarted everything again and again and finally I would get 4 seconds of music and then it would quit.

Has anyone had this issue? I saw someone who talked about it on this website through a Yahoo link, but the thread no longer exists. Any help is appreciated. I'm running Tiger with BM Link 1.50.1.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 7:35 AM

My Beoport can be a little flaky with my Mac. I sometimes have the disable and enable the BM-Link a few times and if that doesn't work, I have to remove the power cable from the Beoport and then plug it back in. That normally fixes it. I am running Lion 10.7.3 and my BM-Link is 1.31.

Peter

BeoHound9000
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Thank you, Peter. I'll try that process a few more time. Maybe I haven't hit the magic number yet. I was hoping upgrading my OS and BM Link version might fix it, but it sounds like its problematic for you still.

The strange thing is, if I leave the computer on all the time (which I do for SETI@Home), its fine. After a restart sometimes its solid and sometimes its not. Is that that same for you? Or does it go in and out between restarts?

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 7:57 AM

I agree with you - it doesn't like restarts! One the whole I don't restart it very often! It doesn't seem to go off otherwise - I seem to think it doesn't respond to well to upgrades either - just upgrading iTunes now so expect problems!!

Peter

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 9:09 AM

BeoHound9000:
I do for SETI@Home

I used to do SETI, but I changed to World Community Grid.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

I think it is more worth while since it uses your computing power to help solve diseases 

BeoNut since '75

BeoHound9000
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Peter- that's good and bad to hear that BM Link doesn't seem to like restarts. I was worried it was just my computer. I've left iTunes alone (v7.0) for fear of added bloatware. The strange thing yesterday was BM Link was crashing System Preferences forcing me to force quit it.

If I may ask for your help again: Is your BeoPort part of a larger MasterLink setup? With the BeoPort issues has come problems with the 9000. It responds very slowly to the remote, sometimes shutting off then coming back on and not stopping CDs in the correct place. Before it was connected to the MaterLink network, it has zero problems. Have you ever known there to be a defective MasterLink network?

Elephant:  World Community Grid is something I've heard of. I started with SETI in 1999 but should I get a more powerful computer, I'll think about WCG, too. Sadly, most of the news today makes humanity seem like the disease.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 10:46 PM

BeoHound9000:
Have you ever known there to be a defective MasterLink network?

I use LinkPlayer, but I have on occasions used BM-Link, and I have a MasterLink environment that has a junction box with ML cables to BS4, BV8, BeoLink Wireless, and the BeoPort .... not sure if that makes it "a larger ... setup".

I don't have a consistent problem, but sometimes the system seems slow to respond to a command.

I suspect that happens when my Mac is busy ... whether it is doing some disk operation or waiting on an internet operation ... or perhaps even the World Community Grid.

But I also notice occasional slowness on my recently acquired, second hand, iPhone 3GS ... which could be busyness on the phone (when I commute I listen to music while reading an ebook, and some times page turning is slow down).  So I don't know if sometimes the MP3 needs more decompression calculations for certain tracks, or places in tracks ... I had used a higher quality recording rate than the standard Apple iTunes settings, so certainly my files are bigger and so perhaps more complex to handle.  

But if yours is consistently slow, then would either suspect a very underpowered Mac or maybe a loose connection that is causing lots of error retries on the MasterLink.

(Although I will say that my Mac which is now three years old is more and more prone this past month to freezing, so I think the accumulation of upgrades is getting to it, and so I am going to bump up the memory from 2Gb to 4GB and cross my fingers !!)

BeoNut since '75

BeoHound9000
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Thanks, elephant. I'd say that's a pretty large set up. It sounds very nice. On a side note, how do you like the BeoLink Wireless?

Your iPhone might be struggling to decode higher bitrate files. I had to stop using Lossless or AIFF files on my iPod because it couldn't keep up. I know nothing about iPhones but I know my iPod didn't like anything much higher than a max-out ACC file.

My Mac is an '07 MacPro that seems plenty quick for just about everything I ask of it. Your suggestion of MasterLink error retries has me interested. There is a ML box that could be malfunctioning. Just now the 9000 is playing a CD when I raise the volume with the Beo4, the sound vanishes for a second then comes back. With all this latency coming in at the same time as the ML set up, I can't help but point my finger to it. I've checked all the physical connections, which all seem snug.

Good luck with your Mac. Sometimes repairing the disk permissions and performing a PRAM reset helps after upgrades I've found.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Mar 12 2012 7:42 AM

Thanks for your Mac tips, trying some of them now ....

BeoHound9000:
how do you like the BeoLink Wireless?

Once I had the base station properly positioned it worked fine.

Although I experimented with an Airport Express and gave it away, I think these days I would got for an AE or an ATV2/3 and simply use AirPlay because (1) it is more economical (unit costs, plus no base station needed) and (2) it is more flexible that a uni-sourced ML ... individual rooms would be able to be targeted from different iDevice sources

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Mar 14 2012 7:52 AM

elephant:
Although I experimented with an Airport Express and gave it away, I think these days I would got for an AE or an ATV2/3 and simply use AirPlay

I did some checking today and discovered that whilst the AE supports analogue and digital (optical) connections, the ATV2/3s only support digital (optical) connections which means you would need a DAC between the ATV2/3 and any B&O speakers.

So for an audio link room you need an AE and the BeoLabs attached to it.

And for a video link room you use an ATV2/3 and have the BeoLabs attached to the BeoVision.

But you still get to direct the audio to either of the destinations from your iDevice.

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS