Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 2400 'skating' problem

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Jeff
Not Ranked
Vancouver
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jeff Posted: Thu, Mar 1 2012 2:29 AM

Hi everybody!  Forum newbie here.  Of course I'm just getting used to the format so I hope I've posted this in the appropriate spot.

I've got a Beogram 2400 (controls under the cover/MMC20EN) and aside from what seems to be normal problem of the tonearm not lifting at the end of the record (that's how I found this forum) I have just noticed in the past two weeks that my tonearm has begun to skate a little.  Never had this problem before and I find it weird that it would just start.  I haven't done anything unusual lately so I don't get it.  It skates to the right.  Is there an 'anti-skate' adjustment somewhere?  I'm not a technical dude so I don't want to mess anything up without some advice.  Also, records that never 'skipped' before are skipping and I'm noticing a slight sibilance on some of my vinyl.

I love my table but I'm now worried I'm going to damage my vinyl without taking care of this problem.  The whole unit could probably do with a tune-up as I haven't done any upkeep for the last 15 years.

anyway, I would appreciate any advice!

thanks,

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Welcome to the forum.

And yes you are right with "Beogram". Sounds like you will have to open your deck and do some maintenance, clean of all old grease,and dirt, and it may be time to change the belt too, pay special attention to the pick up arms shaft, there clean of all grease or old hardened oil and lubricate with some sewing machine oil, probably this shaft is starting to go a little hard, and the arm will not be transported properly inwards, do NOT start adjusting on the antiskating adjustment before everything is clean and lubricated

If changing the belt, be sure to get the right one, I can recommend member Dillen on the forum, just give him a mail and he will help you.

Good luck, Soren

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Jeff
Not Ranked
Vancouver
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Mar 1 2012 6:31 PM

Thank you for the fast reply Soren!

I will take the table apart and give a good cleaning first.  I know there is another thread that describes turning the table over (the one about the stuck brass pin) so that will help.  Scares me a little thoughGeeked

I'm sure it hasn't been cleaned since it was bought.  Commercial Electronics here in Vancouver should have the proper belt if I need one.

cheers,

jeff

Medogsfat
Top 25 Contributor
Leeds West Yorkshire
Posts 3,896
Bronze Member

Jeff:

Commercial Electronics here in Vancouver should have the proper belt if I need one.

cheers,

jeff

I wouldn't bet on it Jeff!

They may have one of the same size but there is more to it than that, the elasticity & friction qualities of the rubber all play a part here. Personally I would get one from Dillen as it is guaranteed to be of the correct specifications.

Welcome to BeoworldSmile

Chris.

Jeff
Not Ranked
Vancouver
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Mar 1 2012 6:58 PM

Thanks Chris.

how do I know if I need a new belt?

I will contact Dillen then.

cheers

Medogsfat
Top 25 Contributor
Leeds West Yorkshire
Posts 3,896
Bronze Member

You will know if you need a belt as you will get wowing (varying speed) when playing a record. In the worst case the platter won't even start turning without help.

I would sort out any other issues first though or you may end up throwing good money after bad.

Chris.

Jeff
Not Ranked
Vancouver
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Mar 1 2012 11:46 PM

Success!  The skating problem seems to be cured and I even managed to 'unstick' the brass pin.  My only issue was not knowing where to lubricate so I just cleaned and lubed where the 'peanut butter' coloured grease was and the brass pin.

Is there a lube guide in the manual?  If so, I'll try to find one.

cheers and thanks for being here!

jeff

Jeff
Not Ranked
Vancouver
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Mar 1 2012 11:46 PM

oh, and the belt seems fine.  Still supple and no 'wow'.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS