Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Question on Beomaster 4400 cabinet restoration

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member
krais Posted: Fri, Jul 16 2021 6:17 PM

Hi everyone, I have a Beomaster 4400 in pretty good condition but with some light scratches in the top cabinet. The plan is to carefully sand the cabinet and apply boiled linseed oil to bring it back to original condition.

What is the recommended approach to sanding the veneer? It seems that the metal strip is glued on and would be difficult to remove. Should I just tape off the metal strip with masking tape so that it won't be scratched when sanding the veneer?

Thanks!

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Sun, Jul 18 2021 8:42 AM

Cover the aluminum strip carefully and sand away, be very careful as the veneer is thin and you don’t want to rub through it, I have used beeswax as the final polish and finish in the past. 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jul 18 2021 8:55 AM

For the dents, you could try to steam it a bit and see, if the dented veneer will rise a little.
Place a soft wet cloth over the dents and then an iron.
Careful of course as you don't want to burn the veneer.

Martin

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Jul 18 2021 5:56 PM

Collect the rosewood sanding dust as you do the sanding (and sand by hand of course). It can be mixed with some wood glue/filler to patch large dents and gaps. That will retain a little of the color to help hide the scar.

-sonavor

krais
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 136
Silver Member

Thanks all, here's a quick update. 

I was able to sand down the scratch as it wasn't very deep. I used some epoxy with sanding dust to fill a small dent and sanded the surface using 220/280/400 grit. After applying multiple layers of boiled linseed oil I'm pretty happy with the result. It's not perfect, the satin gloss is somewhat uneven in certain areas (yes, I did rub off excess oil) but only noticeable in certain light angles from up close. 

Here's the B400 fully assembled...

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Aug 16 2021 6:50 PM

Very nice.  That is a great result. Well done.

-sonavor

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS