Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

How much B&O do you need?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I finally took the time to make a small test setup with my 'new' CDX, my headphone amp (a Project Head Box S) and my favorite headphone (a Grado SR80i)....

....popped in one of my favorite cd's (Howard Fishman - No Further Instructions) - and sat down to listen.

And - WOW!

Immediately I started thinking:

Why haven't I done this before?

Do I really need more than that?

Sure it is not the mobile, versatile PLAY-thing B&O nowadays has (!) to sell.

It is not the 'wanna-be-one-touch-beosound' of 2014, but it is pure joy - never sounded better.

You could call it: B&O STAY

I wonder where I can find a permanent place for this minimalistic setup - gonna use it quite a lot.

No more discussions with Mrs Missen how load to play, or how big the speakers in the living room have to be Stick out tongue

But for now - Mrs calls, she has already turned on the BV in the living room...

....I hear that from far away - I gotta go Big Smile

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 12:09 PM

I don't 'need' a lot but I do want a lot!

Glad you've re-discovered the CDX and have set it up nicely with the headphones and amp.  A marvelous CD player which is only bettered by a CDX-2 in many people's opinions.

For daily use I only 'need' my restored 5000 system set up with a CDX-2 and BG4000 (or Transcriptors Saturn) but as I wander around the house I do actually use an awful lot of different B&O equipment on a daily basis, especially the 608 amp and BM3000 or BM4400 and my 7000 system with Beolab 5000 speakers gets a lot of use.

I've now just realised, I do actually need all of my B&O stuff!

I don't have discussions with my wife about B&O.  As a fan, she just says 'what have we bought now?'.

Dave.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi Dave,

I don't have 'discussions' with my wife either.

And I enjoy ALL of my B&O stuff - which is quite a lot -  including 3. party 'things' (network streamers/iDevices....)

Some of it she enjoys too - she actually would not know how to play a Bluray disc in a non B&O system.

It would be far too complicated - she has got used to the 'easyness of B&O'!

But I did realize that if your priority is music listening, all you need is this kind of small setup.

And I just wanted to share my thoughts about how good this actually is.

MM

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 2:38 PM

Absolutely!  I think we can sometimes go a bit overboard with 'system' set-ups and lose track or perspective of what we actually want to do - play some music and enjoy it in a clear and uncomplicated way!

I have a spare CDX and am now thinking of putting it in the bedroom in a similar set-up to your suggestion.  I can listen to quality sound in bed without disturbing 'the wife' then - until she decides to disturb me somehow!

Dave.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I need every piece I have and some more, its like just looking at these vintage pieces gives me joy, the fun of bringing them back to life and then listening to them, is something beyond description.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 3:17 PM

You're right Soren, it's B&Ogasmic!

Dave.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

B&Ogasmic! - that is a nice word Smile

MM

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

Whatever your situation calls for you at any given time! Smile

Regardless of the old school B&O I use I always enjoy it and I do have some choices setup currently Beosystem 6500 and 6000 both original white. 

I can listen to the 6500 system which I do mostly or go to the next room to fire up the Beosystem 6000 which does have a working CDX in the setup. Then there are the odds and ends with some needs for service(Dillen) but as for use and enjoyment afterwards? Yes if it can be part of the in use on a daily option and as I am to much into old B&O I guess that can't be fully done without it being to nuts for me even.  So what's the 3rd setup we are going to do and what about space?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS