Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Fix BM5 or Olive one?

rated by 0 users
This post has 40 Replies | 1 Follower

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member
badgersurf Posted: Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:08 PM

Hi,

I am trying to decide what to do with respect to digital music. The options I have are:

Option one  to get my Beomaster 5 fixed (using it as a stand alone product) after the motherboard has died, don't know how much this will cost to fix as my dealer has not given me a price but I think it is out of warrenty. Edit it will cost £465 to replace the motherboard

Option two is buy an Olive one (http://www.myoliveone.com/Ones mentioned a few times on the forum before) and connect this through my BS3000? Edit Olive one cost £290 (including shipping)

Option three is that I also have an beomedia one which I could could get out of storage upgrade the hard drive and use that.

What are peoples thoughts on the way forward?

Thanks in advance

Toby

Iceman10245
Top 500 Contributor
Berlin - Germany Nova Santa Ponsa-Islas Baleares
Posts 186
Bronze Member

I have read your contribution and have ordered myself an olive with 1TB hard disk. I will connect them then in my flat on Majorca to a Beosound 1. I am really curious!!

BeoVision 7-40 HD-Modul, BeoViision 11-40, BeoVision 8 32" white + Floor Stand, 2x Apple TV 4 mit Kodi, DVD2, HDR2, BeoSound 9000 MKIII White Edition, 2x BeoSound Moment + Floor Stand, 2x BeoSound Stage, BeoSound Core, BeoSound 35 brass,  BeoSound 1 MKII + Floor Stand, 2x BeoSound 3, BeoSound 6, BeoSound 3200, BeoSound Essence ,  BeoPlay A9 Nordic Sky twilight, BeoPlay A8 MKII white + Floor Stand, BeoPlay A2 grey, 2x BeoPlay A3 white/bright blue, BeoPlay A1, 2x BeoPlay S3 white,   Beolit 12 (White Edition), Beogram TX2, BeoLab 5, BeoLab 3, BeoLab 7-4, BeoLab 8000 MKII, Beolab 11, 2x BeoLab 3500, 4x LC2, 4x Beo4 - MK1-3, BeoRemonte One BT, 2x BeoRemonte Halo, Audio Terminal, Beolink 1000, BeoLink 7000, 2x EarSet A8, 3x A9 Keyring, EarSet 2, Form2, BeoPlay H6, 3x BeoTime, Beowatch, 2x Lightmanager Pro+ B&o Version, 4x BeoCom5, Beoline2, 3x Speakerphone, BeoTalk 1200, 5x Cabinets, MLGW, BLGW, 

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Thanks for posting the information about the Olive One.

It looks like an amazing product and would be a perfect partner to B&O products.

However how would it connect to beolabs if you don't have an audio master / stereo product?

It says that it has audio out via RCA via a USB dongle, but would this have to connect to say my playmaker ?

I think if your bm5 is going out of life perhaps give the olive one a go, it seems not a bad buy.
Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 10:25 AM
Olive One seems to be a real great product of high quality, made of aluminium and glass, I'm very impressed, also of the technical specs (HD audio via high end DAC). Such an audio product I had expected from B&O instead of silly Beoplay products!

It can be connected to a Beovision via Digital out (Coax).

/Räuber
kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 11:59 AM
Or via an almando powerlink switch...

(autosensing)

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:48 PM

badgersurf:

Option one  to get my Beomaster 5 fixed (using it as a stand alone product) after the motherboard has died, don't know how much this will cost to fix as my dealer has not given me a price but I think it is out of warrenty. Edit it will cost £465 to replace the motherboard

I can`t believe that they want to charge you for the repair!

If your BM5 is an early one, dying motherboards is a well known issue. A lot of boards had to be replaced. There must be threads in the archived forum....(?)

The motherboard of my BM5 was replaced without any costs. No cost for the board, no cost for the work. My dealer just had one telephone call with Struer, and four days later I got my "new" BM5. And it was out of warranty before, too.

Get your BM5 repaired and don`t let them charge you. Then you can think about keeping your BM5 or selling it and buy an oliveone.....

Stefan

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 9:06 PM

badgersurf:
Option two is buy an Olive one (http://www.myoliveone.com/Ones mentioned a few times on the forum before) and connect this through my BS3000? Edit Olive one cost £290 (including shipping)

Yes, it does look very good and well priced. However, remember it's not available until July 2013 at the earliest. Even then I'd like to see some feedback on the production model, first.

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 9:11 PM

Olive has 5 products, with 4 available for preorder and 1 in production.  Every time they sell one, sight unseen, they are closer to manufacturing.  Maybe they will provide sound systems for Fiskar.  

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 11:43 PM

The important thing is whether or not it plays high definition audio files and what kind of DAC it has, not if it exists or not! Erm..

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

srm
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 74
Bronze Member
srm replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 1:13 PM

The only thing that the Olive One still need is Net-Radio and Control via Beo4 :-)

Then it will be perfect and everybody can sell the Beosound 5´s!

BV10-46 -  BL8002 - BL 19 - BeoPlay A1 - Beo4 - BeoRemote One  -  3x Beotime - Beotalk 1200 -  Beocom4 - Beocom 2 (Yellow, Alu) - ATV2 / 4 

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 1:40 PM
srm:

The only thing that the Olive One still need is Net-Radio and Control via Beo4 :-)

Then it will be perfect and everybody can sell the Beosound 5´s!

I think internet radio is available (via Pandora):

http://www.myoliveone.com/Ones/all_in_one

Control via Beo4 and PUC will not be possible because Olive One has no infrared receiver. It can be controlled via Smartphone/IPad or directly via touch screen.

You will be able to connect Olive One to a Beovision (digital Coax) or a Beosound (AUX) and probably to Beolabs.

So I think Olive One will be the REAL Playmaker, in technical and design regard.

Greetings

Räuber
vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 5:36 PM
I can't wait to ditch my playmakers....

Vince
srm
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 74
Bronze Member
srm replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 6:51 PM

Räuber, yeah, you´re right!!!  

That will be great.  Looking forward!

BV10-46 -  BL8002 - BL 19 - BeoPlay A1 - Beo4 - BeoRemote One  -  3x Beotime - Beotalk 1200 -  Beocom4 - Beocom 2 (Yellow, Alu) - ATV2 / 4 

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 1:32 PM
vlohjr1:

I can't wait to ditch my playmakers....

Vince

For what reason, Vince?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I would like to ask the same question!

I don't understand the hype about a product, that no one has ever used - and that has not even been produced yet.

But it surely is clever marketing, I must say. Of cource they are going to sell a lot of them.

Then again - I don't understand why I should buy the Olive.

If you are used to having the iPad in front of you, wherever you sit or stand  - and can choose whatever you want to hear (losless-music, netradio, podcasts, Spotify....etc) by just sending it to the ML-connected Playmaker - it seems quite odd having to use a device like the 'Olive One' that is 'locked' to its place on a cupboard, a wall or a glasstable like in the pictures on the website ..... I wonder where all the cables have gone??

You will need an audioserver and wifi-connection and speakers as well - just like if you use a ML-enabled (or standalone) Playmaker and the iPad - with all the up's and down's of UPnP.

Note: the iPad gives you a lot more than just controlling a UPnP-audio network. AirPlay often is much more stable and gives you the possibility of AirPlay'ing video as well - let's first see how Miracast works with the 'One'?

Ok - the Olive-'thing' looks kind of nice and may impress your visitors. But for every-day-use it would not really live up to my expectations for a modern audio-setup. 

Having a 'One' in several different rooms - as suggested from the 'Olive-team' - would make a 'One' multiroom-setup rather expensive. Just do your own calculation.

if you like the userinterface, have a look at the 'coming' Olive-app:  http://www.olive.us/products/APP.html  

Maybe that App and a Olive-server attached to a ML-enabled Playmaker would steal the show Whistle

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

srm
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 74
Bronze Member
srm replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 8:04 PM

I think people buy B&O because they listen with their eyes too....Smile

Thats why the BS9000/3000,  yes and the 5 still stands in our living rooms!

I'm someone who uses his Ipad to google, to facebook and what else, WHILE i am listening radio or CD's. So i think it is nice to have a look, always i want to my actually played CD or my radio station, WITHOUT change my app! Perhaps that's the reason?

But you have absolutely right: what's about cables etc....

SRM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@srm "I think people buy B&O because they listen with their eyes too.."

Should that be a reason for 'them' to buy the Olive One??

By the way: changing to another app is just a swipe away on the iPad!

If you really do not want to be interupted when 'googling', just buy another iPad (Mini) dedicated for Music-listening.

Would come cheaper than 3 or more table-lock'ed 'One's'.

But - if you only listen to CD's and radio - you would need neither the 'One' nor a 'iPad/Playmaker-combo' anyway Surprise

And if someone wants to have something for "their eyes", a BS5 Encore will do! ---- to support poor old Bang & Olufsen.

Greetings Millemissen

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 8:30 PM
Ok, i forgot the cables.

I remember a picture of Beosound 5 placed on a glass table, without ANY cable. Of course it's a great benefit to put Beosound 5 on a table or on a wall and connect it to Beomaster 5, Masterlink and socket wireless!😃

Greetings

Räuber
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Yes - thumbs up  That would be my next Bang & Olufsen AudioMaster:

Wireless network (NL),  batterydriven for several months, wireless connection to new BeoLab speakers.

That would certainly beat the 'One' and perhaps Whistle even the iPad/Playmaker-combo.

Greetings Millemissen

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 10:25 PM
IMHO anyone who recommends Playmaker in association with wireless technology needs their head examined :)

I would never EVER sell it as a wireless device as its reception is very poor by modern day standards.

However, as a receiving device, when wired with certain makes of routers it performs well as a stand alone player.

Multiroom? B&O you must try harder.
koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 2:09 AM

Wireless!!!

The beocom5 as example.

whahahaha

srm
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 74
Bronze Member
srm replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 8:52 AM

Millernissen, i know you are a big Ipad fan :-) hehee

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Feb 10 2014 8:21 PM

Old thread..... but mostly about Olive One.

Long overdue Olive Ones are meant to now be delivered this month. I am not holding my breath.

I hope that their technical ability is better than their commercial and legal knowledge. They took a lot of orders before a certain date on the basis that they would provide a free 1TB hard disk upgrade. Subsequently they reneged on that promise and demanded extra payment on the basis that they had added other freebies instead. No matter how good it eventually proves to be there is no way I will ever get involved in crowd funding again. The myoliveone.com website carries no up- to-date information and facebook pages reveal a lot of frustrated customers.

Graham

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Since the motherboard hardly contains any software, perhaps you could change it yourself? I'm guessing the MB in the BM5 is a 30 quid board...?

It's hardly as B&O would have a specially developed BIOS in it, but could be a specific version of a BIOS though.

Too long to list.... 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Graham! Big Smile

Very old thread indeed. 

Too long to list.... 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Tue, Feb 11 2014 5:12 PM

bayerische:

Graham! Big Smile

Very old thread indeed. 

And long wait too!

Graham

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

vikinger:

bayerische:

Graham! Big Smile

Very old thread indeed. 

And long wait too!

Graham

Yeah I know. Too bad my friend. 

Too long to list.... 

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member

Hi,

interesting idea, any one know if you could use another motherboard? If so what one?

thanks

Toby

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

I had a look at upgrading my BM5 last weekend.

The MB is now an obsolete Via Mini-ITX EPIA-EX which can only take 1gb of RAM. (I wanted to upgrade the RAM) I will however be looking to change the 3.5 1TB HDD (retrofitted that myself from a 512Gb unit a couple of years ago) for a 1Tb SSD.

Problem with the new Via MB's is the connection board is completely different to the original. Dicided it was al too much faff.

talisman
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 54
Bronze Member
talisman replied on Wed, Feb 12 2014 9:39 AM

You need B & O Service tool for BeoMaster 5 (on a USB Stick) in order to change the motherboard in BeoSound 5 ! 

I have tried to mount a Samsung 840 EVO Basic 1TB disk . But less successful results.

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

talisman:

You need B & O Service tool for BeoMaster 5 (on a USB Stick) in order to change the motherboard in BeoSound 5 ! 

I have tried to mount a Samsung 840 EVO Basic 1TB disk . But less successful results.

To a different type, or even to the same kind of motherboard? I'm sure they're discontinued as 10% says, but could still find NOS somewhere.

Too long to list.... 

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member
badgersurf replied on Wed, Feb 12 2014 10:13 AM

Hi,

What is NOS?

If I could find the same motherboard, would I need the service USB?

If I did get it working either through a second hand board or give it to B&O to repair, would I get Spotify on just the BM5 and will i be able to use a Beo6 through wifi to display albumn art? I know I can update the registry to get MOTS working.

Thanks

talisman
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 54
Bronze Member
talisman replied on Wed, Feb 12 2014 10:18 AM

What I can see in the service manual (see below) you must have a B & O service tools to change the motherboard.

From Service Manuals UK BS5 BM5 page 4 & 59 :

If it is necessary to replace modules in BeoSound 5 or BeoMaster 5.                                                                                                                                   there are 3 modules which require an adjustment after replacement as the serial number has to be transferred into the new module.        

The modules are:                                                                                                                                    

PCB01, Mainboard (BeoSound 5) -                                                                                                                                                                                     PCB01, Motherboard (BeoMaster 5) -                                                                                                                                                                               PCB94, HDD (serial number backup for BeoMaster 5 and BeoSound 5) 

After replacement of modules ESD ESD-Mat Replaced parts Action PCB01, Motherboard Use BeoMaster 5 ServiceTool to serialise the serial number into PCB01,

Motherboard when replaced. Please refer to adjustments page 4.7. PCB01, Motherboard Use BeoMaster 5 ServiceTool to update BIOS in PCB01, Motherboard when replaced.

Please refer to adjustments page 4.7. PCB51, ML-PL Use BeoMaster 5 ServiceTool to update the firmware in PCB51,

ML-PL when replaced. Please refer to adjustments page 4.7. PCB01, Motherboard Please refer to page 4.9 to perform a final check after repair. PCB51, ML-PL Please refer to page 4.9 to perform a final check after repair.

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member
bayerische replied on Wed, Feb 12 2014 10:23 AM

badgersurf:

Hi,

What is NOS?

If I could find the same motherboard, would I need the service USB?

If I did get it working either through a second hand board or give it to B&O to repair, would I get Spotify on just the BM5 and will i be able to use a Beo6 through wifi to display albumn art? I know I can update the registry to get MOTS working.

Thanks

New Old Stock.

Too long to list.... 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member
bayerische replied on Wed, Feb 12 2014 10:27 AM

talisman:

What I can see in the service manual (see below) you must have a B & O service tools to change the motherboard.

From Service Manuals UK BS5 BM5 page 4 & 59 :

If it is necessary to replace modules in BeoSound 5 or BeoMaster 5.                                                                                                                                   there are 3 modules which require an adjustment after replacement as the serial number has to be transferred into the new module.        

The modules are:                                                                                                                                    

PCB01, Mainboard (BeoSound 5) -                                                                                                                                                                                     PCB01, Motherboard (BeoMaster 5) -                                                                                                                                                                               PCB94, HDD (serial number backup for BeoMaster 5 and BeoSound 5) 

After replacement of modules ESD ESD-Mat Replaced parts Action PCB01, Motherboard Use BeoMaster 5 ServiceTool to serialise the serial number into PCB01,

Motherboard when replaced. Please refer to adjustments page 4.7. PCB01, Motherboard Use BeoMaster 5 ServiceTool to update BIOS in PCB01, Motherboard when replaced.

Please refer to adjustments page 4.7. PCB51, ML-PL Use BeoMaster 5 ServiceTool to update the firmware in PCB51,

ML-PL when replaced. Please refer to adjustments page 4.7. PCB01, Motherboard Please refer to page 4.9 to perform a final check after repair. PCB51, ML-PL Please refer to page 4.9 to perform a final check after repair.

OK, so it seems as if B&O uses a modified BIOS then...

Got a bit more complicated, however I think that B&O could provide this BIOS to it's users if the MB are prone to fail. 

Too long to list.... 

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member
badgersurf replied on Wed, Feb 12 2014 10:46 AM

Thank you all for your answers.

I guess i need to decide if I want to fix it or not and get either B&O or AVA to fix it.

Is the BM5 worth fixing (I don't have a BS5 so it will be a stand alone product). What of the new updates will I get, will I get spotify, will I be able to albumn covers on a Beo6?

Thanks

Toby

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member
bayerische replied on Wed, Feb 12 2014 11:15 AM

badgersurf:

Thank you all for your answers.

I guess i need to decide if I want to fix it or not and get either B&O or AVA to fix it.

Is the BM5 worth fixing (I don't have a BS5 so it will be a stand alone product). What of the new updates will I get, will I get spotify, will I be able to albumn covers on a Beo6?

Thanks

Toby

I wonder if the BIOS of the Mother Board is extractable??? 

Too long to list.... 

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Wed, Feb 12 2014 12:36 PM

The BM5 BIOS contains it's serial number in a hidden area, the startup screen and settings.

You can extract the BIOS with Epia's software, but without it's serialnumber.

And without the serialnumber, you will not be able to get any updates. BIOS updates are done on the fly on regular base.

If TS is going to ditch his defective BM5, I'm interessed and happy to receive a pm.

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member
bayerische replied on Wed, Feb 12 2014 12:55 PM

Beobuddy:

The BM5 BIOS contains it's serial number in a hidden area, the startup screen and settings.

You can extract the BIOS with Epia's software, but without it's serialnumber.

And without the serialnumber, you will not be able to get any updates. BIOS updates are done on the fly on regular base.

If TS is going to ditch his defective BM5, I'm interessed and happy to receive a pm.

Interesting.

But it would work then, but not get any updates...?

Too long to list.... 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member
bayerische replied on Wed, Feb 12 2014 12:56 PM

If that is the case, I would definitely go this way, as I think it's a bit crazy to put 600 euros on repairs on an old machine, only to have the next component fail.

What should be done is B&O goodwill on the MB.

Too long to list.... 

Page 1 of 2 (41 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS