Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MMC4 Cartridge falling apart

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Jack
Not Ranked
Rochester, NY, USA
Posts 41
Bronze Member
Jack Posted: Sat, Oct 9 2021 12:02 PM

I recently acquired a Beomaster 5000 set in fairly good condition. The system came with a spare MMC 4R cartridge which looks pretty good but....of course - there's always a "but".....

The silver end of the MMC4 is separated from the black part. Thus, the question is whether the two pieces can be mated again, perhaps a tiny drop of CA ("superglue"), or should I just toss it away? The cantilever and diamond look to be the good condition but I don't know how to get them back together again.

Thanks,

jackm

manfy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 185
Bronze Member
manfy replied on Thu, Nov 4 2021 6:05 AM

If the stylus is unharmed I see no reason for tossing a part that can cost you several hundred dollars. (A quick google shows that refurbished cartridges are sold from $100 to $500 on the net.)

As far as I can see the black part only protects the needle and yes, superglue should work fine. I'd probably use some adhesive tape first to keep that black part in place. Plug the cartridge in and see if it works as expected.

<Here> I found some interesting info and pictures on the B&O cartridge. The large-scale model proves that the black piece has no other function but stylus protection:

Hope this helps!

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

thanks for re-posting my photo...

If the black plastic part is broken off, then whatever caused it to break could have hit the stylus as well... However, it serves no functional purpose with respect to the audio signal.

Note, however, that the plastic does have mass (as does CA glue that might be used to repair it) so you might want to consider checking the tracking force; just in case...

Jack
Not Ranked
Rochester, NY, USA
Posts 41
Bronze Member
Jack replied on Fri, Nov 5 2021 11:20 AM

Thanks for your advice, guys. Don't know when I'll get to doing this (still working on my Beomaster 6000 4-ch.  - which continues to be a major project). And thanks for the reminder as to checking the mass; easy enough to do that.

jackm

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS