Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5 resources future proof maintenance thread

rated by 0 users
This post has 81 Replies | 17 Followers

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
Posts 624
Founder
frog replied on Mon, Dec 23 2019 1:41 AM

Does this actually work?

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
Posts 624
Founder
frog replied on Mon, Dec 23 2019 1:42 AM

Does this actually work?

Aleksei replied on Wed, Jan 23 2019 6:30 AM 

Here's the link to the BS5Service Tool.

Since this is not a normal file sharing, I do not know how long the link itself will be active, but content should be there.

https://yadi.sk/d/VW3xnEWSWMiikw

https://yadi.sk/d/VW3xnEWSWMiikwhttps://yadi.sk/d/VW3xnEWSWMiikw

https://yadi.sk/d/VW3xnEWSWMiikw

https://beointegration.wordpress.com/

1:BV7+BL7.1+BS4+BL6000+BV6+BL2000+MLGW+Beo4

2:BV7+BL7.4+BL3500+BM5+BL3+Lutron GE/Sivoia QS+HikVision+Dune+LinTronic+BLGW+Beo4+Beo5+Essence remote+BeoTime+BeoLinkPC+BL4+KNX+BeoMaster900

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Tue, Dec 24 2019 12:07 AM
Yes

Option 2 contains only the service tool image of the USB-stick.

Option 1 has the same image and the software to create a bootable stick with the image.

There is also a Service Manual for the BS5/BM5 and a copy of the image tools website.
frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
Posts 624
Founder
frog replied on Tue, Dec 24 2019 12:38 AM

Thanks, but I get an error writing the USB. I’ve tried 3, though it seems the files are on the USBs. I haven’t tried booting it yet. 

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
Posts 624
Founder
frog replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 3:27 PM

Thanks Gérard,

got it now. Thanks again!

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Wed, Dec 25 2019 11:31 PM
Glad to hear that it worked!

here you have a listing of SSDs with the name of their controllers:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html
Michael
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 27
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Jan 13 2020 9:50 AM

Hello,

my name is Micha, I'm from Germany. If any phrase sounds strange, sorry for that, a not native speaker can't do it as well as you can

I am a proud new owner of a Beosound 5 with Beomaster 5, which I could buy used at a good price. I didn't know that the Beomaster runs Win XP, so the first surprise was that I was able to get the system running on my network but couldn't get any internet access at all. All network settings were correct, the system was "visible" in the network but I couldn't get into the internet - no matter what I tried - so no software update for the system was possible, nor could I listen to net radio. The goal was the following:  I wanted to integrate the system in the master link, be able to access Net-Radio, and not use the internal hard disk of the Beomaster, but access my QNAP-NAS as DNLA server. 

I am not a very good network expert, but after a few tries I was able to get the whole thing working. If someone else has the problem to not access the internet, I'll post my solution here:

On the Beomaster, as I said, XP runs in the background with an outdated Internet Explorer version (the system was lying unused for 3 years before I bought it...) As soon as on the Windows XP a Firefox version (which is suitable for XP), in addition to the Internet-Explorer was installed, it is suddenly possible to get into the Internet. Then I was able to update the software and also access to the Net-Radio stations was suddenly possible.

The system is running now, I only have to connect it to the Avant 55 in the master link via the converter, then the side rooms should also be able to play music.

So: if someone buys an older Beosound 5 and Beomaster 5 combination and also has problems to get into the internet: in my case the installation of a Firefox fixed the problem.

Micha

bjc64
Not Ranked
UK
Posts 2
Bronze Member
bjc64 replied on Mon, Jan 13 2020 11:10 AM

Micha01:
the installation of a Firefox fixed the problem.

Hello Micha

You must feel pleased and elated with your success. Congratulations!

It would be of great interest to know how you installed the software onto the Beomaster5, please. Also, whether you received a display asking to 'log on to Windows' with the user 'Administrator' plus a required password.

Thanks

Bernard

Michael
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 27
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Jan 13 2020 12:44 PM

Hello,

Okay, let me try to explain. It was not as easy as it sounds now, because I tried different ways (also an update IE, but unfortunately it did not run). 

Finally I put the last Firefox that worked for XP (you can still find it on the internet) on a stick and plugged it into the USB port of the Beomaster. With ><>>Go to the service menu, call maintenance, then you have the Windows interface. The stick is recognized as an external drive, then drag the software to the desktop and install it. There is no query about the administrator or password.

Micha

Michael
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 27
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Jan 13 2020 12:53 PM

Sorry: „><>< Go“ is correct

bjc64
Not Ranked
UK
Posts 2
Bronze Member
bjc64 replied on Mon, Jan 13 2020 6:27 PM

Micha01:
><>< Go“ is correct

So you accessed the Windows Service Menu and by using a keyboard and/or mouse installed the software? Is windows service pack 2 or 3 installed?

When you exit the Service Menu does it load up the BeoSound5 user interface? For myself, when I exit the Service Menu  I have to 'log on to Windows' with the user 'Administrator' plus a required password. This is something that has happened in recent months.

Bernard

Michael
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 27
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Jan 13 2020 6:41 PM

It is servicepack 2. After leaving  Windows the normal overview is shown. There is no need to lock in. I haven‘t had that situation to lock in as an admin with password.... sorry, but therefore i‘am not able to give you any help... maybe the systems are a litle different (i don‘t know). 

For me it was realy clear that the problem was the old version of the IE. So i thougth about how to bring the system online  - and Firefox was the way....

Michael
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 27
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Jan 13 2020 6:42 PM

It is servicepack 2. After leaving  Windows the normal overview is shown. There is no need to lock in. I haven‘t had that situation to lock in as an admin with password.... sorry, but therefore i‘am not able to give you any help... maybe the systems are a litle different (i don‘t know). 

For me it was realy clear that the problem was the old version of the IE. So i thougth about how to bring the system online  - and Firefox was the way....

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Tue, Jan 14 2020 8:27 PM
Hi

I never connect a screen and keyboard to my system as the BS5 is in the kitchen and the BM5 is in the office and connected with 9 metre cables.

To manage the BM5 I am using TightVNC to make a remote connection to the system. It works very well and other users are doing the same.

You still need to start in Maintenance Mode on the BS5 though.
Sjock601
Not Ranked
United States
Posts 43
Bronze Member
Sjock601 replied on Wed, Jan 15 2020 1:10 AM

My BeoSound 5 system is also getting close to 10 years old.  I still love the design and how it functions.  Love MOTS and  I am always listening to music from my personal collection as well as the radio. Really like not having to pay for a streaming service but still able to enjoy nice music.  My internet service was recently down (which tends to happen a lot and is totally unreliable) for 2 days.  I had no landline phone, internet or TV or radio for two days, but I could still enjoy music just like a streaming service.  I just hope that I can keep it running for a long time.  Would be nice if B&O would write new software to make it work it work even better, which can be done.  I thinks there are enough BeoSound 5 systems out there that it would be a source for a considerable monetary gain for them.  
        However, on the. negative side, there were so many software changes made to the system after it was introduced that it is really, really NOT THE SAME SYSTEM THAT I INITIALLY PURCHASED.  That is really frustrating and really makes me skeptical in regards to future investments into B&O products.  Some of the changes were for the better, but there were more things removed than added.  I am still trying to understand the thinking for these issues.  

MJBeo
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 270
Gold Member
MJBeo replied on Wed, Aug 12 2020 2:32 PM

Super old thread but this became relevant for me this week. 

BeoMotion:

Today I had a look at the BeoSound 5 USB communication.
Quite easy and straightforward. 

Wrote a little program and hooked up the BeoSound 5 via USB and HDMI to a Raspberry Pi. 

BR,
BeoMotion. 

Would you be so kind to share this with me?

Beosound 5 Encore + Beosystem 5500 + S45.2; BV7-40 MKV + BL7.1 + BL14.4+ AppleTV4; various link rooms with MCL2 A or MCL2 A/V + RL60.2 / CX100 / CX50 & Cona  / IWS2000; BG4000; Beosystem 1200 + BV1600.

maki82
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Bronze Member
maki82 replied on Thu, Oct 15 2020 1:06 PM

Hi guys

Couple month ago I bought a house where a lot of MasterLink cables are in it. Because of that, I bought a Beomaster 5 and a Beosound 5 with 2 Beolab 8000 and 1 Beolab 3500. Everything seems to work well, I connected the BM5 with my router and I got some web music.

Now I tried to install the whole system in the house. I connected everything and tried to listen to the web music. Unfortunately the screen of the BS 5 went black and the music stoped even if I hear that the BM 5 still is running. I made a restart with the main button on the BM 5 and after the system runs again, I listened again to web music and after around 4-5 Minutes the screen went black again and as well the music stoped.

Couple days later (today) I turned on the whole system and figured out that everything works well as long as no music is playing. The system runs very stable and no surprises. But as soon as music is running the screen went black and the music stoped.

Does somebody of you has an idea what it could be? Would really like to keep the system and to listen some music in the house.

Cheers, Mario

lechatsurletoit
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member

Hi,

could it be a short circuit in one of the masterlink cables?

Are the beolabs 8000 directly plugged in the beomaster or in a seperate room wih a beolink active and IR eye?

maki82
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Bronze Member
maki82 replied on Thu, Oct 15 2020 2:38 PM
lechatsurletoit:

Hi,

could it be a short circuit in one of the masterlink cables?

Are the beolabs 8000 directly plugged in the beomaster or in a seperate room wih a beolink active and IR eye?

The Beolab8000 are directly plugged in and just the Beolab3500 is via ML ... but I tried other cables and other ML cables.

Now I am testing every thing just via the ML and BL3500.

But still the same - black screen and no reply on any action except the main pwr button on the BM5 🤔
beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Thu, Oct 15 2020 3:39 PM
Do you have the same problem if you don’t connect BL3500?

Is the BS5 set to audio master and with correct option?
lechatsurletoit
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member

Did you try just the beolab 8000 without the masterlink?

Is the beomaster set as a master? Is it in option 1 or 2?

lechatsurletoit
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member

Jinx

maki82
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Bronze Member
maki82 replied on Mon, Oct 19 2020 8:15 PM

I opened the BM5 ... for me it looks like one condensator is burned ... but I‘m not a pro, maybe somebody of you sees something else.
riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Mon, Oct 19 2020 10:59 PM

Yep, that capacitor certainly doesn't look happy, and the one next to it looks like it is bulging too (although it may just be the way the light is reflecting in the photo).

The electrolytic capacitors are the usual culprits when the BM5 is shutting down randomly or refusing to turn on. They can be replaced, but it's not as easy as it might seem - it's a multilayer PCB and at least one leg of each of those caps will be connected to the ground plane which acts like a huge heatsink, drawing away all the heat when you try to desolder the old caps.

It's an easier task if you can pre-heat the board, but this maybe a little outside the scope for a lot of DIY soldering setups - without pre-heating it can be a real struggle to clear the holes without damaging the pads or through plating.

Martin.

maki82
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Bronze Member
maki82 replied on Tue, Oct 20 2020 9:38 AM
It seems like there are 2 more capacitors which are not ok, just on the other side of the cooling unit.

I am going to give a try and to replace them, I mean if it‘s the reason why the BS5 screen is going to be black and the music stops than I‘ve no choices - repair the installed mainboard or replace it with the Epia EX 1.5GHz because it looks like it works more reliable. But first I try to repair the capacitors.
Edoardo
Top 500 Contributor
San Marino
Posts 163
Bronze Member
Edoardo replied on Thu, Nov 5 2020 3:31 PM

Totally agree with you. I have had lots of troubles with my BS5/BM5 in the first times; now it works fine, but I need to replace the original HD 1 Tb capacity with a 2 Tb, if possible.

Let's keep in touch

Edoardo

Edoardo
Top 500 Contributor
San Marino
Posts 163
Bronze Member
Edoardo replied on Thu, Nov 5 2020 3:36 PM

Hello Martin, I think you did an excellent (and corageous) job.

I need to do the same, so I hope you will help me in case of trouble.

Regards

Edoardo

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

maki82:
It seems like there are 2 more capacitors which are not ok, just on the other side of the cooling unit.

I am going to give a try and to replace them, I mean if it‘s the reason why the BS5 screen is going to be black and the music stops than I‘ve no choices - repair the installed mainboard or replace it with the Epia EX 1.5GHz because it looks like it works more reliable. But first I try to repair the capacitors.

If you haven't already tried the replacement you might consider trying to cut the existing capacitors out whilst leaving as much of their legs protruding from the pcb as possible, then solder the legs of the new caps to these. This will probably mean securing the new capacitors to the board on their side with some silicone - this will mean you don't have to worry about desoldering the existing caps and avoid any potential damage to the plated holes (be sure to use neutral cure silicone if you go down this route though, as normal silicone releases acetic acid which can damage the pcb and nearby components during curing).

Kind regards,

Martin.

maki82
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Bronze Member
maki82 replied on Fri, Nov 6 2020 7:37 PM
Hi Martin

No I didn‘t yet fixed the issue and it seems like I‘ve to wait the next couple weeks because I‘ve to do some stuff for work.

But thank you for the idea, I thought it‘s going to become complicated but it looks like it could be fixed in a easy way ... we will see Stick out tongueWink keep you updated as soon as I‘ve time to fix it.
Jack
Not Ranked
Poland
Posts 30
Bronze Member
Jack replied on Fri, Feb 19 2021 12:24 PM

SMBCFG Write Serial Number BeoMaster 5 to BIOS

Run SMBCFG.EXE from usb boot stick. Enter the serial number in the tabs: System, Base Board, Enclosure/Chasiss

SMBCFG.rar

maki82
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Bronze Member
maki82 replied on Wed, Jul 7 2021 9:35 AM

Hi Martin

I fixed the faulty condenser and now it seems like the BM5 is almost working fine. Why fine? Well, before I changed the condenser, I got sound out of the speakers ... and now there is no sound. The speakers are not turning on. 

I tried different cables and I do not think it is a cable-problem. According the Maintenance Guide it could be the PCB51 but all the led lights are working.

If somebody else has an idea to fix the problem - you are welcome to share your ideas and your experiences Wink

maki82
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Bronze Member
maki82 replied on Wed, Jul 7 2021 9:37 AM

Hi Martin

I fixed the faulty condenser and now it seems like the BM5 is almost working fine. Why fine? Well, before I changed the condenser, I got sound out of the speakers ... and now there is no sound. The speakers are not turning on. 

I tried different cables and I do not think it is a cable-problem. According the Maintenance Guide it could be the PCB51 but all the led lights are working.

If somebody else has an idea to fix the problem - you are welcome to share your ideas and your experiences Wink

cooldude
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Bronze Member

Check polarity on the replacement condensers.

maki82
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Bronze Member
maki82 replied on Thu, Jul 8 2021 1:42 PM

how can I check them? I gave the platine to a shop which changend me the condensers ... hopping they didn‘t make a mistake.

cooldude
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Bronze Member

You can measure it out with a multimeter.
Sorry can't be more of a help here. My knowledge is limited and only from experience.

Edoardo
Top 500 Contributor
San Marino
Posts 163
Bronze Member
Edoardo replied on Mon, Jul 12 2021 10:05 PM

Hello riverstyx,

you did something great, replacing the original HDD 1 Tb of capacity, with the equivalent 2 Tb model.

Being the HDD of my BS5 (1 Tb capacity) almost full, I need to do the same thing you did.

Unfortunately the official B&O assistance can not help me with that, 'cause they sustain that is absolutely not possible to replace the original HDD with another one with more capacity.

So I'm kindly asking you if you could give me the necessary instructions.

Thank you in advance 

Jens Rendboell
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 24
Bronze Member

Hi Edoardo,

I have read that the easiest way is to use the Service Tool for the Beomaster 5.

With this tool and the instructions in the Service Manual you should be able to clone the old HDD to the new HDD/SSD.

The Service Tool (including the Service Manual) can be downloaded here (It is a very slow download, if you're not paying, but it will be downloaded after 5-6 hours. Just be patient):

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/40103/297888.aspx

There is some guidance in this Beoworld thread:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/22109.aspx

Also this thread in Danish have a guide on how to replace the HDD (second last post in the thread and with help from Google translate):

http://hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23818&PN=0&TPN=50

And this site in Russian (again Google translate is your friend):

https://beointegration.wordpress.com/2018/01/18/beosound-5-500-gb-hdd-to-1-tb-ssd/

Best regards,

Jens

Jens Rendboell
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 24
Bronze Member

My Beomaster 5 and the internal power supply have stopped working.

To solve the problem I have swapped a dead motherboard.

Best regards,

Jens

Jens Rendboell
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 24
Bronze Member

I made a mistake ...

When changing the old motherboard with the new motherboard, I had swapped the connection from the power switch to the ML-PL-module with the connection from the ML-Module to the power on pins on the motherboard, as they have exactly the same type connector.

But to get it up and running I had to perform a "Clone Entire HDD" with the Service Tool, as the system files on the hard drive had probably been damaged.

This procedure resets the system to factory default, and beware that all your files will be deleted.

To save your files you should perform a "Clone HDD" only.

But now it is running as new :-)

Thanks,

Rendboell

Jens Rendboell
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 24
Bronze Member

Hello Beoworld,

It is quite easy to swap motherboard with a new/used Via Epia Ex 1500 Mhz board, so here's a small guide on how to do it.

The only issue is the extra coax and optical spdif connectors on the new board and to get the Beomaster 5 Service Tool.

My solution was:

(1) Drill 2 new holes in the BM5 cabinet / box to fit the extra 2 connectors.

(2) Remove the small noisy CPU fan on the CPU cooling fins. It is not needed.

(3) Buy a new cable with a 3 pin connector to connect to the original cable to the ML-PL-module and solder the new cable to the two soldering points of the optical connector on the solder side of the Via motherboard.

The optical connector has 5 pins, but only 2 are used to connect to the ML-PL-module (right and left audio channel). On the original motherboard there are 3 pins, but the pin in the middle is not used. So solder the new cable to the 2 outer pins of the 3 soldering points sitting in a row.

Assemble the board and the BM5 is ready for the BM5 service tool.

The Service Tool (Service Manual included) can be downloaded here:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/40103/297888.aspx

Be patient, as it is a very slow download, if you're not paying. Download is a 1.7 gb zip file and takes about 5-6 hours.

Use the included ImageUSB to load and write the 3.3 GB bin image file to a USB flash drive (6-8 gb).

Stick the usb flash drive into one of the usb ports on the board and attach a wireless usb keyboard and mouse to the other usb port (there are only 2 usb ports).

Start the BM5 and immediately press "Del" sereral times to make sure you get into the bios.

In the bios go to "Hard Disk Boot Priority". Here you should se the HDD and the USB drive. Set the USB drive as 1st boot device. Save and Exit, type Y to confirm and Enter. 

Now the service tool should load (windows). I had to repeat the bios procedure a couple of times to succeed.

Go to the Service Manual to follow the procedure for replacing a motherboard (section 4.4 and 4.8).

(1) Click the button ‘Restore BM5 Serial From HDD’ and await confirmation.

(2) Click the button ‘Update BM5 BIOS’ and await confirmation.

Now the serials should match and you can reboot the BM5.

When I rebooted the BM5 would not start, but went into unresponsive black screen. I tried several times to use the recovery function without success.

The BM5 could only pass the 1st recovery step and just skipped the 2nd step and went into unresponsive black screen again. My guess is that the file structure on the HDD was damaged.

So I had to load the service tool again and this time I made a total reset to factory default with the function "Clone entire HDD". If you don't have a backup of your files, you could try the function "Clone HDD", which keeps your files.

If successfull, you will have BM5/BS5 restored. If reset to factory default, then set it up again with BM-USER passwords, etc. If you use the same password, you can keep the BM-SHARE and BeoConnect setup on your PC / Mac.

I hope this helps keeping BM5/BS5 systems alive and kicking :-)

Have a nice day,

Rendboell

PS. I now have an optical spdif output and an extra Coax spdif output :-)

Page 2 of 3 (82 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS