Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

SAAB lives on????

rated by 0 users
This post has 82 Replies | 3 Followers

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger Posted: Wed, Jun 13 2012 4:38 PM

SAAB will live on in the form of an electric 9-3.

Graham

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Hurray. 3x Saab 9000 and a 9-5 estate. I had a 97 900 but I don't include that. Hope they make a cool Audi A1 type car.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

Would be nice to see Saab live on! 

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 10:23 PM

Saab deal completed.

New owner will have electric 9-3 Saab on the road in approximately 18 months.

Graham

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 11:01 AM

Electric Saabs to be added soon!

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

Fantastic picture!!!

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 8:21 AM

Chris Harrison:

Fantastic picture!!!

Yep! - shame they took it in an industrial unit cluttered up with cars!Whistle

Ban boring signatures!

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 11:57 AM

Looks as if the Saab rescue has gone through OK.

New vehicles 2014?

www.saabcars.com

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 3:06 PM

Not that long ago a former Saab employee has reportedly leaked images of the car that never got a chance to see production. Pictures of it right here. Not my cup of tea TBH. Saab has produced good cars in the past, but haven't shown a good financial result in years. Anyone investing in it must have very deep pockets and a lot of courage or is just plain mad.

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

beocool:

Not that long ago a former Saab employee has reportedly leaked images of the car that never got a chance to see production. Pictures of it right here. Not my cup of tea TBH. Saab has produced good cars in the past, but haven't shown a good financial result in years. Anyone investing in it must have very deep pockets and a lot of courage or is just plain mad.

Not impressed by that particular fuzzy picture!

Saab are not the only cars to have always had front wheel drive, but as I've posted before, a couple of years ago my friend got his brand new rear wheel drive Jaguar XF stuck on an icy car park and I had to rescue him in my 9-5.  A current neighbour couldn't get his rear wheel drive Mercedes C class to mount a 100mm rubber ramp in the icy weather last week. BMW spent a fortune advertising that you got a better drive with rear wheel drive. 

A few days of icy weather soon reveals the truth!

(It remains to be seen what a SAAB electric car will do!)

Graham

Ƨcɑɽɑɱɑnɡɑ
Top 10 Contributor
Khao Phing Kan
Posts 6,662
Bronze Member

In those situations, I just put my RWD in reverse and drove backwards.

• One B&o bottle opener
  • One fancy gun
vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

ɓʋɾɑɳɫɘɮ:

In those situations, I just put my RWD in reverse and drove backwards.

Oh, and moved your engine to the boot?

(Driving a Porsche by any chance?)

EDIT

The Merc was in reverse.

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 4:18 PM

vikinger:

beocool:

Saab are not the only cars to have always had front wheel drive, but as I've posted before, a couple of years ago my friend got his brand new rear wheel drive Jaguar XF stuck on an icy car park and I had to rescue him in my 9-5.  A current neighbour couldn't get his rear wheel drive Mercedes C class to mount a 100mm rubber ramp in the icy weather last week. BMW spent a fortune advertising that you got a better drive with rear wheel drive. 

Graham

You Brits should use winter tyres. Problems solved! You have to have them by law in countries like Belgium and Germany. Their climate isn't that much different from yours. Last winter I saw A British guy on TV, probably from some motoring organization, that there might be evidence that winter tyres were actually helpful. Can't believe how ignorant that guy was.

And yes, RWD is superior. No torque steer or understeer and no wheels trying to find grip when you accelerate hard from a stand still. 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

beocool:

vikinger:

beocool:

Graham

You Brits should use winter tyres. Problems solved!

Too much effort to change tyres every time the weather conditions change here! Same with snow chains.

I may have to buy a Jag (and snow chains) if Saab don't deliver a new model soon!

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 4:26 PM

vikinger:

beocool:

vikinger:

beocool:

Graham

You Brits should use winter tyres. Problems solved!

Too much effort to change tyres every time the weather conditions change here! Same with snow chains.

I may have to buy a Jag (and snow chains) if Saab don't deliver a new model soon!

Saab is dead. Accept it. And you only change tyres twice a year. In November or there about you switch to winter tyres and back to summer tyres in March. I don't see your point at all.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

vikinger:

Nothing prevents you from driving winter tyres on dry roads. Unlike with snow chains.

--mika

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 4:28 PM

tournedos:

vikinger:

Nothing prevents you from driving winter tyres on dry roads. Unlike with snow chains.

Exactly Cool

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

beocool:
Saab is dead. Accept it.

Hmm. BMW driver by any chance?  Whistle

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

beocool:

tournedos:

vikinger:

Exactly Cool

The point is, I don't need them anyway.

EDIT

The UK climate isn't at all like the continent. The Gulf Stream means we are teatering between sub zero and above zero all winter (at least around the west coast) and an inch of snow can bring the place to a standstill. At least car bodies have improved and can withstand the tons of salt put onto the roads.

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 5:04 PM

vikinger:

beocool:

tournedos:

vikinger:

Exactly Cool

The point is, I don't need them anyway.

Try it and feel the difference. No matter if your car is front, rear or all wheel drive. The difference is huge. Driving, braking and cornering. You will definitely notice the difference.

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 5:06 PM

vikinger:

beocool:
Saab is dead. Accept it.

Yes, that's hardly a secret. BMW makes cars that people actually buy and therefore a profit.

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 5:06 PM

vikinger:

beocool:
Saab is dead. Accept it.

Yes, that's hardly a secret. BMW makes cars that people actually buy and therefore a profit.

soundproof
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 142
Bronze Member

If you want a touch of the Saab driving experience these days, you need to buy an Alfa Romeo. Alfa and Saab were collaborating on platform changes and drivetrains when Alfa was owned by GM. When Fiat/Alfa pulled away from that collaboration, they were able to hang on to a number of the developments that were made, while Saab were stuck with the GM pipeline.

Would be nice if Saab was resuscitated, but GM did all it could to pommel the brand into the ground and bury it.
I'll never forget my conversations with Gillibrand of Saab, and listening to his tales of how they just went their own way, when they were still allowed to. A great shop, at Trollhättan, but they never managed to break into true profitability as cars got more expensive to build. And the marriage to GM was catastrophic. GM wanted a luxury car, and lost out to Ford when they tried to buy Jaguar. Solution: turn Saab into a luxury car. Sigh ...

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

beocool:

Try it and feel the difference. No matter if your car is front, rear or all wheel drive. The difference is huge. Driving, braking and cornering. You will definitely notice the difference.

I've tried and owned them all!

Biggest shock I ever got was the first time I drove a Saab 96 with  a freewheel. The torque steering does require  a different style of driving, and the freewheel was a real shock. (Actually a hang-over from the 2 stroke, where overrunning with the car in gear could starve the engine of oil.)

Anyway, I'm a front wheel drive man!

Graham

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

soundproof:

If you want a touch of the Saab driving experience these days, you need to buy an Alfa Romeo. Alfa and Saab were collaborating on platform changes and drivetrains when Alfa was owned by GM. When Fiat/Alfa pulled away from that collaboration, they were able to hang on to a number of the developments that were made, while Saab were stuck with the GM pipeline.

Would be nice if Saab was resuscitated, but GM did all it could to pommel the brand into the ground and bury it.
I'll never forget my conversations with Gillibrand of Saab, and listening to his tales of how they just went their own way, when they were still allowed to. A great shop, at Trollhättan, but they never managed to break into true profitability as cars got more expensive to build. And the marriage to GM was catastrophic. GM wanted a luxury car, and lost out to Ford when they tried to buy Jaguar. Solution: turn Saab into a luxury car. Sigh ...

Agreed.

At least my 9-5 has a Fiat engine.

The 96 V4 was expensive in its day ((early 70's, choice for me at the time was a new mini or 3 year old Saab). That car lasted me 25 years!

I note, tucked away on the Saab website, that the new owners will restart Trollhatten, but at the same time intend to ramp-up a new production facility  in China. Not sure I've much faith in the electric approach. Most electric vehicles to date have been a failure, and not very environmental when the battery cost/ recycling is taken into account.

Graham

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 6:45 PM

vikinger:

beocool:

I've tried and owned them all!

Biggest shock I ever got was the first time I drove a Saab 96 with  a freewheel. The torque steering does require  a different style of driving, and the freewheel was a real shock. (Actually a hang-over from the 2 stroke, where overrunning with the car in gear could starve the engine of oil.)

Anyway, I'm a front wheel drive man!

Graham

I was actually saying that winter tyres make a huge different no matter if your car is front, rear or all wheel drive. 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

beocool:

I was actually saying that winter tyres make a huge different no matter if your car is front, rear or all wheel drive. 

Sorry. Not reading properly. I might have caught an electrifying infection...... need to give this lot a rest .......

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 7:02 PM

Having owned mostly rear wheel drive cars,I can testify winter tyres make a big difference,I have bridgestone blizzaks on just now,and pirelli scorpion on another car.

Last saturday,I had alot of snow being from scotland,and my neighbour with his q7 and 21" summer wheels was stuck,and me in my rear wheel drive merc,drove past on way to work.

A 4x4 system is only good if the tyres grip.2 gripping tyres is better than 4 slipping.I normally put a smaller wheel on with higher profile and not as wide to aid traction.

We sell snow socks at work and they are very good also and are easy to use.

just my 2 cents.

soundproof
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 142
Bronze Member

I live in solid winter country now, and winter tires are a necessity. But I would use them in Denmark or Germany during winter - they give you better control and grip.

My Jeep has tires with studs (I put them in myself, they're seriously sized studs.) My station wagon has non-studded Continental Viking winter tires, excellent grip. The car is a four-wheel drive and I still wouldn't dream of not using winter tires where I live.

And it's fun to pull people who are stuck back onto the road.

Stonk
Top 50 Contributor
Marlow, Bucks, UK
Posts 2,070
Bronze Member
Stonk replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 11:02 PM

I bought some snow socks this year, they are great. Won't last long but drove home up a steep incline leaving everyone else in our wake. 

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member

beocool:

One mor pic of the car in question

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member

And another one

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

At least 90 % of the Finnish, what ??

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Fri, Feb 22 2013 6:52 PM

Søren Mexico:

At least 90 % of the Finnish, what ??

Google translate can't handle Finnish that well. It should say: At least 90% Finnish...

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 8:54 AM

Saab have restarted production of the 9-3 under new owner NEVS, but it is likely that they will soon move to an electric version.

I don't hold out much hope for a left hand drive car for the UK market: China seems to be the focus.

Graham

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Shame. I'm stuck with what to buy, and I always end up looking at 900 classics!

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 9:38 AM

I used to wonder whether pilots driving Saabs used the night panel and then  maybe drifted off momentarily thinking that they had handed over to the co-pilot ........

Graham

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Funnily enough we were flying over Germany and a bit of Southern Denmark about 10 days ago , and it was such a clear night, we turned all the lights down to minimum. It was almost like a simulator such was the perfection of the visibility.

Like an idiot when I really adjusted to the dark I decided to go and have a pee. Of course the cabin is was bright as hell, so I was wandering around like a blind person unable to see!

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Fri, Oct 25 2013 2:27 PM
Agree Chris, SAAB 900 was the best SAAB ever made. If you have an opportunity to buy one take it... Right either that SAAB should produce a compact sport car like the Audi A1.
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

They could have charged a premium, and it would have sold like hot cakes.

Page 1 of 3 (83 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS