Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Hue Bulbs

rated by 0 users
This post has 53 Replies | 5 Followers

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Aug 5 2016 1:09 PM

Sal:

Seanie_230:
Hi Chris

Check out the new hue dimmer switch

http://www.diy.com/departments/philips-hue-automated-dimming-switch/1266382_BQ.prd?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4827BRDJvpbVuKvx-rIBEiQA2_CzsI8KJvCLYmyfL_uSfQvGCg9HpRxsKBT-hS0s7hmNDG0aAtSY8P8HAQ&ppc_type=shopping&ecamp=SEAPLA1266382_BQ&ss_kwcid=AL!3454!3!%7Bcreative%7D!%7Bmatchtype%7D!%7Bplacement%7D!%7Bnetwork%7D!%7Bproduct_partition_id%7D!%7Bkeyword%7D&CAWELAID=120147360000498558&CAGPSPN=%7Bifpla:pla%7D%7Bifdyn:dyn%7D&CAAGID=%7Badgroupid%7D&CATCI=%7Btargetid%7D&ef_id=VOd7lwAAAIStr0RI:20160629155745:s

It's pretty good

This new dimmer switch is pretty cool. And with apps like iConnect HUE, each button can be programmed with 4 functions which translates to up to 16 functions.

I don't have a BLGW, but I purchased a Hue Bridge and a few bulbs and a Bloom. I'm contemplating a Tap and a couple of dimmers, but want to plan what / how I'm going to have things arranged before pulling the trigger on the switches.

I very much dislike the Tap. Hue's attempt at creating a remote that is powered by kinetic energy is quite a fail. A much more attractive wall remote (although quite costly) is the Moment wall remote. It can be programmed in LIGHT mode to work with the BLGW to control Hue. If you do get a BLGW, that opens up the world of Lutron RadioRa 2 wall buttons that can have backlit-engraving. It's very easy to set up and is as simple as installing a dimmer switch. It's easy to remove if you ever move. Even if you have a Hue lamp connected to that wall switch, you can make it work for you by hard-wiring the light load so that it is always on.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Aug 5 2016 1:11 PM

I meant to say "Essence wall remote" rather than "Moment wall remote." I truly do with that the forum would get fixed so that we can edit our posts from Safari.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Aug 5 2016 1:19 PM

djfairley89:
Hi, enjoyed reading this thread before buying some Hue products. Just installed a pair of Led strips, Go & Bloom integrating with BeoLink Gateway in our showroom today. I must say I'm very impressed with the straight forward yet very flexible installation. I was doubtful when I read the 4 step "instructions" but it does exactly what it says on the tin. Within an hour or so I was getting creative by for example setting the bloom to throw colour up the wall behind a BeoSound 35 relative to the source sensed: Bluetooth (blue), Spotify (Green), etc Having worked with only Lutron Homeworks for a time it's nice to have so much flexibility without the complexity: while I do appreciate they are very different products I can see why Hue will do well for lots of people, especially when integrated with BLGW and IFTTT.

A few people have mentioned personalising the coding to take to the next level, what kind of things can be added/achieved?

Dave

You should see what it looks like putting one of the light strips behind the BeoSound 35 (running the power cable inside the wall). You would want to stick the light strip to the back of the Moment so that the light you see is reflected from the wall. I did this with a wall-mounted BeoSystem 4500 and it looks stunning.

This might actually be the best solution out of everything else:

http://www.dreamscreentv.com

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Aug 5 2016 4:15 PM

beojeff:
I very much dislike the Tap. Hue's attempt at creating a remote that is powered by kinetic energy is quite a fail. A much more attractive wall remote (although quite costly) is the Moment wall remote. It can be programmed in LIGHT mode to work with the BLGW to control Hue. If you do get a BLGW, that opens up the world of Lutron RadioRa 2 wall buttons that can have backlit-engraving. It's very easy to set up and is as simple as installing a dimmer switch. It's easy to remove if you ever move. Even if you have a Hue lamp connected to that wall switch, you can make it work for you by hard-wiring the light load so that it is always on.

Thanks for the thoughts Jeff. I cede to your qualifications as the KING of B&O integration with the HUE Bulbs :-)

I'm still planning where my additions will go, and where the switches would make the most sense before purchasing, but knowing your thoughts on the Tap, can you explain why it is a fail? Is it the forceful press that's required, or is it a multitude of factors?

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Mon, Aug 8 2016 2:33 AM

Sal:

beojeff:

Thanks for the thoughts Jeff. I cede to your qualifications as the KING of B&O integration with the HUE Bulbs :-)

I'm still planning where my additions will go, and where the switches would make the most sense before purchasing, but knowing your thoughts on the Tap, can you explain why it is a fail? Is it the forceful press that's required, or is it a multitude of factors?

Let's start with the form. The Philips Hue Tap would fit in perfectly in Season 1 of "Space: 1999" with it's stark, clunky, white minimalism. NOT, however, in Season 2. That's because in Season 2 Maia would have transformed into a gorilla and thrown her first right into the bloody dimmer. It's a clunky, white disk that fits with Apple during the first generation of the iPod and the first generation of the iMac. Otherwise, it just doesn't look attractive in any decor.

Now let's talk about function. You really, REALLY have to give the Tap a firm, assertive press in order to get the button to be powered by the kinetic energy of the pressing action and send the signal to the Hue bridge. Mind you, this is not a casual "tap" (in irony to its name) that you might give upon entering or leaving a room. This just does not fit in with the lifestyle to which we're accustomed. It certainly does not feel like B&O. While Philips' innovation in creating a perfectly green remote that does not really on batteries or electricity, it just doesn't seem to serve a purpose unless we're recovering from a zombie apocalypse. In which case, we might benefit from the remote, but there would still be no electricity to power the lights. My gods, with today's technology, we should even have a touch-sensitive interface! The B&O Essence wall remote feels so much more natural to use. Plus, it has a wheel that can be programmed to adjust the intensity of the lights.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Aug 8 2016 3:16 AM

beojeff:
The B&O Essence wall remote feels so much more natural to use. Plus, it has a wheel that can be programmed to adjust the intensity of the lights.

Thanks for your thoughts. The Essence wall remote, though, requires a BLGW (or MLGW) to control the Hue lights, right?

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Mon, Aug 8 2016 6:48 AM

Chris Hassell:
TWG:

:-) The OSRAM Lightify system is compatible with HUE (and they have compatible plugs, too!): http://led.osram.com/led_com/lightify/index.jsp

Interesting @TWG ! When you say "compatible with Hue" what do you mean - is it possible to use these in a setup controlled by BLGW for example does anyone know? They seem to have a bit of a wider range of bulbs than HUE which may mean I can fit on some more unusual lights we have etc.

Sorry for the late reply. As they work with the HUE bridge and understand the same standard they should work in a BLGW or MLGW setup, too. But I don't know for sure. It's just an educated guess. :-)

djfairley89
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
This would no doubt give a pretty cool effect too. Might give this a try for next strip we buy in. The bloom is really effective given that its also flexible if I choose to use it elsewhere.

Integrating these Hue products with Lutron blinds and gateway is such a fantastic system. Very impressed.

Cheers
Playlink
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
Playlink replied on Sun, Nov 27 2016 6:32 PM

You can give a name tonthe controle buttons in the new beoremote one ;)

Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 136
Bronze Member
Austin replied on Mon, Nov 28 2016 9:24 PM

I love my hue lights. I would agree that they have been one of the best tech purchases (other than my B&O speakers, of course Wink).

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
Seanie_230:

Hi Chris

Check out the new hue dimmer switch

http://www.diy.com/departments/philips-hue-automated-dimming-switch/1266382_BQ.prd?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4827BRDJvpbVuKvx-rIBEiQA2_CzsI8KJvCLYmyfL_uSfQvGCg9HpRxsKBT-hS0s7hmNDG0aAtSY8P8HAQ&ppc_type=shopping&ecamp=SEAPLA1266382_BQ&ss_kwcid=AL!3454!3!%7Bcreative%7D!%7Bmatchtype%7D!%7Bplacement%7D!%7Bnetwork%7D!%7Bproduct_partition_id%7D!%7Bkeyword%7D&CAWELAID=120147360000498558&CAGPSPN=%7Bifpla:pla%7D%7Bifdyn:dyn%7D&CAAGID=%7Badgroupid%7D&CATCI=%7Btargetid%7D&ef_id=VOd7lwAAAIStr0RI:20160629155745:s

It's pretty good BLGW - Rekindling the love of ML

Hey @Seanie_230 long delayed reply, but I just got 2 hue dimmer switches. Really easy to setup and work well. Have done me a great favour in the wife loves using them which means she won't notice when I take the BLGW out of the house!

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Seanie_230 replied on Sun, Dec 11 2016 11:40 PM
Hay Chris

Yeah I got one in the end it's great.

Why will you remove the BLGW?

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5