Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoVision Horizon officially announced

rated by 0 users
This post has 75 Replies | 0 Followers

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 11:18 AM

I love it and would definitely consider upgrading from BV8-32 to the 40" as a bigger screen would be nice - losing netflix is not a big deal to me as I use Apple TV most of the time - can the Apple TV fit inside it so that there is just one power chord coming out? I don't watch terrestrial TV so wouldn't need an aerial either.

I must be the only person that thinks the trolley is cool as you can move the TV to different rooms if need be quite easily - it so resembles my favourite TV's from the early 80's!

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

Duels:
Slightly bizarrely I drive to the gym and then do 20-30 k on a bike that goes nowhere. Go figure.

LOL that made me laugh! I do the same thing but had never quite thought of it in that way! I'll have a complex now every time I go to the gym!

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

Steve_torque
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 145
Bronze Member
I saw it yesterday and I really like it. I'm glad, as I have been waiting for it, I don't have a BV in my life at the moment. This price point suits me better.

Just need to decide on 40 or 48" screen and if I should keep the essence 2 or not, I think I will. I have a Sony 43" at the moment. It will be wall mounted and the Horizon bracket is great, with full movement away and left/right swivel from the wall. £395 for the wall bracket. I was told they my dealer the speaker is the same as in the V1 40" for both horizon 40" and 48". So it sounds pretty decent.

Must admit, I didn't like it having the new android UI. It's the same as my Sony! Obviously does a lot more, but still. Maybe one of the only users who liked the previous menu system - don't use the smart tv function, it's just about the look and feel. Won't stop me buying one though.
Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 12:18 PM

Duels that's so terrible! Are you one of the guys who sits in traffic jams in order to to use a stationary bike or run on a treadmill at the gym? :) Oh my days, we were only talking about this the other day. It was a hot evening, i'd cycled 40 miles and the gym was fun of people indoors on stationary bikes with LG TV screen in front of them showing English crappy TV serials. 

We all said what a crazy state humans have become :(

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 3:01 PM

I don't particularly sit in traffic jams to do it.  I go early morning or when I've left work which is typically after rush hour.  Also, no TV, just good music through my H3s. 

But I do totally accept the irony!

EgonOlsen
Not Ranked
Posts 64
Bronze Member
Has the Horizon hbbtv?
Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

Can you connect Spotify to the Television and then WISA the sound to different speakers and then control with an iPhone etc?

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

I'd assume it can be operated with Beoremote on iPad or iPhone like V1 and Beovision 11 ?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

Simonbeo:

I'd assume it can be operated with Beoremote on iPad or iPhone like V1 and Beovision 11 ?

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/collection/apps-and-accessories/beoremote-app

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 11:16 AM

I've seen it in the flesh, but more important watched for half an hour to just general HD broadcasted programs (and of course the breathtaking impressive 4K demo) on the 48" Horizon.

This is a winner for me!

It has really a very good picture quality. Accurate colours, brightness and temperature.

This is the first panel I do like and could watch relaxed tv, (just 1 minor tiny thing)  and could replace my BV9 (with it's most natural colours)

Surprisingly was it's weight. Very light and easy to place where you want it to.

My advice is to stop nagging and debating about specifications before you have seen it. (general speaking to the ones who tend to do so)

My only advice for the fabrication process would be to make the cornes/edges a bit less sharp. You can hurt yourself if you walk against it.

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member
Thinking about a BV Horizon 48" with a table stand provided by STBrackets I ask the community: What else should I think about? For surround sound I have a pair of BL 9 and a pair of BL 4000. Sources are the inbuilt receiver, a bluray player, an Apple TV, a cable network (Unitymedia Germany).

Peter the biker

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Sep 3 2016 11:55 PM

Peter the Biker:
Thinking about a BV Horizon 48" with a table stand provided by STBrackets I ask the community: What else should I think about? For surround sound I have a pair of BL 9 and a pair of BL 4000. Sources are the inbuilt receiver, a bluray player, an Apple TV, a cable network (Unitymedia Germany).

I forget what it is you have today - how big a step up will this be for you ?

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Peter the Biker:

I don't think you would need much else.  You could have your BL9 plugged in as left and right and if you can't get to cable the rear speakers you could incorporate Wireless receiver 1 on each of the BL4000 as rears. 

I watched a video on the Horizon this morning and the whole frame is aluminium and as is the speaker grille.  Cant wait to see it. 

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

elephant:

Peter the Biker:

I forget what it is you have today - how big a step up will this be for you ?

It's a BeoVision 8-40 with 2 HDMI sockets. Therefore I think I get a little bit of improvement

@aussie: The BV 8 gets its imput by bluray, Apple TV, and a Technisat receiver. The loudspeakers are arranged: BV 8 centre, BeoLab 9 front (and bass), BeoLab 4000 rear. There only will be a round of plug out and plug in, maybe a little bit of adapting some sockets.

Peter the biker

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Peter the Biker:
It's a BeoVision 8-40 with 2 HDMI sockets. Therefore I think I get a little bit of improvement

At least you dont need a system module any more !

BeoNut since '75

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 3:58 PM
Paul W:

I'm thinking maybe the rich senior citizen who 'just wants a nice TV'.

Sometimes I wonder if you understand the aging process, Paul. Big Smile

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

DMacri:
Paul W:

I'm thinking maybe the rich senior citizen who 'just wants a nice TV'.

Sometimes I wonder if you understand the aging process, Paul. Big Smile

Or how long one has progressed along the process too?

Hero71
Not Ranked
Posts 79
Bronze Member
Hero71 replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 7:44 AM

The Netflix app was initially available on the Horizon line but was removed with a later software update. There is no information available on the reason but dealers are authorized to offer a free Apple TV. It's like taking a step forward and then taking a step backwards again.

Hero71
Not Ranked
Posts 79
Bronze Member
Hero71 replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 7:59 AM

Beautiful design, you really have to go see it in person. The picture quality was very good.

I was NOT impressed with the sound though. It's still better than what you get on most mainstream brands but it's not what I have come to expect from a B&O product (the V1 40" performed much better).

I was also disappointed with the plastic frame, it's a matte looking plastic but they should have used powder coated aluminium.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

the frame is aluminium 

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 9:28 AM

Hero71:

The Netflix app was initially available on the Horizon line but was removed with a later software update. There is no information available on the reason but dealers are authorized to offer a free Apple TV. It's like taking a step forward and then taking a step backwards again.

My dealer said nothing to know about a free Apple tv as compensation for the removal of Netflix. ??? He is advising to use a Chromecast 2 dongle for Netflix.

I told him Chromecast is ok but even if you don't use your TV and keep the Chromecast powered on by the wall powered USB adapter, it keeps downloading Backdrop screensaver pictures in cache. This could be up to ~40GB/month from your Internet plan.

If anyone using a Chromecast for Netflix, power yours only by the USB outlet of the TV set and don't use the wall powered USB adapter.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Chris my dealer told me that they are offering the Apple TV (FYI)
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The reason why the ATV is offered might be, that it can be used 'as is'.

If they would offer a Chromecast, they would have to offer some kind of tablet in addition to get that solution  working.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Hero71
Not Ranked
Posts 79
Bronze Member
Hero71 replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 12:18 PM

Aussie Michael:

the frame is aluminium 

No it isn't ... it's plastic

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

BV Horizon:

MATERIALS
  • Aluminium frame and speaker lamellas

• Plastic rear cover

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Hero71
Not Ranked
Posts 79
Bronze Member
Hero71 replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 12:25 PM

Andrew:

I love it and would definitely consider upgrading from BV8-32 to the 40" as a bigger screen would be nice - losing netflix is not a big deal to me as I use Apple TV most of the time - can the Apple TV fit inside it so that there is just one power chord coming out? I don't watch terrestrial TV so wouldn't need an aerial either.

I must be the only person that thinks the trolley is cool as you can move the TV to different rooms if need be quite easily - it so resembles my favourite TV's from the early 80's!

Up until ATV3 will be fine but I did not see enough room for an ATV4.

Hero71
Not Ranked
Posts 79
Bronze Member
Hero71 replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 12:27 PM

FYI, a Beoremote One BT is included.

Hero71
Not Ranked
Posts 79
Bronze Member
Hero71 replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 12:40 PM

Millemissen:

BV Horizon:

MATERIALS
  • Aluminium frame and speaker lamellas

• Plastic rear cover

Surprise Wow, I'm truly surprised. I stood there, looked at it and felt it, even asked the dealer and we all agreed that it was more of a high end plastic. The lamellas are obviously aluminium.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 2:11 PM

Getting an Apple TV is a poor replacement for the Netflix App, unless the Netflix app originally was "non UHD" (which I doubt).

Hope people are aware of that they cannot get UHD out of the AppleTV Surprise

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 8:09 PM
Hiort:

Getting an Apple TV is a poor replacement for the Netflix App, unless the Netflix app originally was "non UHD" (which I doubt).

Hope people are aware of that they cannot get UHD out of the AppleTV

Try a 4K ROKU
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Sep 11 2016 3:58 PM

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Haha @ Michael

@ Hiort I'd also prefer the native app

Apparently the issue is due to its compatibility with the android tV system (apparently)
spangle
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member
spangle replied on Mon, Sep 12 2016 12:19 PM

I really doubt the issue is due to Android TV compatibility. I have a Sony Android TV and have been using the Netflix app without any issue since I purchased it.

Regarding the Horizon, do we think we'll ever see an HDR firmware update? It has happened on other TVs, and seems to be a bit of an oversight on a TV this expensive - missing out on a hot new feature like this.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
spangle:

I really doubt the issue is due to Android TV compatibility. I have a Sony Android TV and have been using the Netflix app without any issue since I purchased it.

Regarding the Horizon, do we think we'll ever see an HDR firmware update? It has happened on other TVs, and seems to be a bit of an oversight on a TV this expensive - missing out on a hot new feature like this.

Just going on what I was told lol

Well it's interesting regarding the firmware. Remember when the avant with the hdmi 2 and we were speculating will B&O update them with an update. And they did. There was talk back then that technically they couldn't do it

So I wonder if this is the same type of speculation - is it possible ?
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Sep 12 2016 1:42 PM

Aussie Michael:
spangle:

Just going on what I was told lol

Well it's interesting regarding the firmware. Remember when the avant with the hdmi 2 and we were speculating will B&O update them with an update. And they did. There was talk back then that technically they couldn't do it

So I wonder if this is the same type of speculation - is it possible ?

The panel it self has to be capable of delivering an image with HDR. It involve the hardware and not just software.

In this case I´m quite confident that the panel cannot technically show an HDR image.

The panel BTW is the same as in Beovision 14. The difference is that the video engines are different, and that the BV14 has a very good contrast screen.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Sep 12 2016 1:53 PM

Totally agree, it starts from the ground upwards. The Horizon looks as though it has an incredibly basic panel from the tech specs.

This explains all...

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/hdr-welcome-to-the-next-big-shift-in-home-entertainment-1280990

Page 2 of 2 (76 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS