Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 5 Hd upgrade to Samsung EVO SSD

rated by 0 users
This post has 95 Replies | 13 Followers

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Sun, Mar 19 2017 10:46 AM
Thanks for the update.
Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sun, Mar 19 2017 10:53 AM
Hi Robert

Thank you for confirming the 1tb MX300 works.

I can confirm the 512gb MX100 has been working fine since I did it 2 months ago.

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

wantoniak
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
wantoniak replied on Sun, Mar 19 2017 11:12 AM

Good news, please monitor for a while and let us know.

So, you had to upgrade the firmware and no other preparations - right

Thanks a lot

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sun, Mar 19 2017 11:30 AM
wantoniak:

Good news, please monitor for a while and let us know.

So, you had to upgrade the firmware and no other preparations - right

Thanks a lot

As soon as it booted up, I did system recovery and then updated it just to make sure everything is right.

I then pointed the music source to my NAS but this does not work and keeps restarting the BM5 after a day. I think this is because I am using a Seagate NAS with no Twonky.

I need to upgrade to QNAP nas with twonky 👍🏻

Currently, I move music to the BM5 SSD 👍🏻

Everything is lightning quick 🔥💯

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Sun, Mar 19 2017 11:41 AM

Right, no other preparations or attempts have been successful and I reverted to the simple solutionThumbs Up. I also found the cloning device very useful, as they permit access to the drives when connected via USB. My guess is that all similar cloning devices are coming from the same factory in China and will do the job.

best, Robert

CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Mon, Mar 20 2017 5:52 PM

I am still thinking of improving the Windows XP behaviour for the SSD. Has there been anybody who modified the Registry without crashing the system?

I am thinking of the following registry changes (copied from a blog on SSD running on Windows XP). At this stage I do not even know whether the system maintenance menu offers administrator rights:

Disabling background disk defragmentation

Key Name:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction\ Name: Enable Type: REG_SZ Value: N

Disable Background auto-layout:

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout Value Name: EnableAutoLayout Type: REG_DWORD Value: 0

Disable update of filesystem’s “last access timestamps”

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem Name: NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate Type: REG_DWORD Value: 1

Disable Prefetch

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters Name: EnablePrefetcher Type: REG_DWORD Value: 0

UNQUOTE

CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Tue, Mar 21 2017 7:28 PM

Hi,

I am answering to my own, above questionWink:

I attached a mouse and keyboard to the BM5 (using a USB splitter as there is only one free USB slot). Entering the maintenance settings menu "arrow" password key combination RIGHT LEFT RIGHT LEFT GO, entering the Windows XP system menu.

Regedit changes may be made just as with any other Windows XP computer, but on the embedded version there seems to be a simplified registry. I was able to cancel the disk defragmentation and the prefetch setting without any problem (the other parameters listed above were not present).

Subsequently ran the Disk clean up routine and returned to the BM5 Menu.

BM5 is getting SSD friendlier by the dayThumbs Up!

Robert

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Tue, Mar 21 2017 8:14 PM
Did you read this ?

aspecialy the parts concerning XP?

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/ssd-hdd-laufwerke-und-speicher/81317-anleitung-ssd-vom-einbau-bis-zur-konfiguration-und-handhabung-von-windows.html
CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Wed, Mar 22 2017 8:16 AM

Thank you. This link leads to a comprehensive summary. Unfortunately, it will not add to much value to the SSD upgrade of our BM5 as many of the tipps are only applicable for a fresh set-up on a full fledged Windows XP PC.

The issue with the BM5 is, that it is runnng on Windows XP Embedded version with limited functionality. It appears as if the drive serial number is stored in the BIOS. Moreover, B&O does not provide copies of the original OS or BM5 program that would allow a fresh installation. As such, the offline "clone" seems to be the only process that ensures that all data from the old HDD are properly copied on the SSD.

My strategy has been to test what improvements may be done on the SSD after cloning. For instance, the partition alignment seems to be a fairly important issue which improves write speeds on the SSD but is not required on the HDD. So far, the Windows XP on BM5 crashes when the partition alignment is modified.

Having said this, I believe that we have come quite far: By using the "simple" cloning process and some amendments, SSD seems now to be a feasible option, extending the live of the BM5. Some system improvements are possible to the point where the system is reliable and stable (but not more).

Keep on trying other ways to tackle the partition issue (just having tried one utility so far). GPARTED (which is described in your link) seems to be worth a try.

Btw, a subject we have not been discussing here is the missing TRIM function on Windows XP (allowing overwrite of unused SSD sectors). However, newer SSD have a automatic function on the firmware called "Garbage Collection", running in the background when the system is idle. Crucial sells their SSD with special focus on thin clients or systems that do not have the trim function, this might be one of the reasons that the Crucial SSD's seem to be more stable in the BM5 than other products.

best, Robert

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Wed, Mar 22 2017 8:44 AM
Thanks for your information.

I just got my preowned BS5 yesterday.

I've bought the sharkoon clone station and gave it some trials with non BO HDDs.

I copied a ext3 formated 1TB to a 2TB. To remap the 2TB to get access to the unused space on the 2TB , I used geparted-live from a boorable USB-stick.

This did not work, I do not know why.

Then I used my little linux-PC running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, gparted may be instaled using the Ubuntu applications tab.

After the offline cloning, I first did an error research and repair on the disc and secondly resized it to it's 2TB.

This worked like a charmStick out tongue.

Now I want to do the same on the BM5 but I can't manage to open the BM5 case.

I got out all 8 screws from the bottom plate but it seems the resr upper border is somehow glued to the top cover.

I will give it one more try this evening as I just found a service manual and saw that there are no other hidden screws.
CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Wed, Mar 22 2017 9:16 AM

There are no hidden screws, but the case sits quite tight. When you turn it around, you may pull the cover off by connecting a cable to the back (e.g. a display cable).

Btw, the HDD is also screwed very tightly, I used a plier to loosen the two left hand screws..

Good luck, Robert

wantoniak
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
wantoniak replied on Wed, Mar 22 2017 10:55 AM

Hi

Remove only bottom screws and slide the cover to the front. It is tight but will go off.

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Wed, Mar 22 2017 5:03 PM
CooperS:

... you may pull the cover off by connecting a cable to the back (e.g. a display cable)...

Yes - thumbs upYes - thumbs upYes - thumbs upYes - thumbs up That's it Lets have a Party !!!Lets have a Party !!!

CooperS:
Btw, the HDD is also screwed very tightly, I used a plier to loosen the two left hand screws..

Good luck, Robert

No problem here, I took it out with the anti-vibration support so that it was easy to access the HDD screws.

Nice to see the effort BO took to get the less noise from the HDD, especialy the glued mat on the HDD.

Now cloning is on its way from the original

Hitachi CinemaStar 500GB from 10-2008 to a

WD Caviar Green 1.0TB WD10EARS which I had liing arround.

Process going on in the sharkoon USB3.0 HDD docking station.
gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 1:43 PM
How did you manage to resize the new HDD, if this one was bigger than the original one?

The newly cloned disk has 4 partions, 3 of them are B&O Partions, Data, BMSystem, System, these are protected

Did you give all the new space to DATA, or also to System and BMSystem?
CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 3:13 PM

I did not change the size, my HDD was already 1 TB.

This is my interpretation of the partition purpose:

SYSTEM: contains Windows XP embedded (no need to change size)

BM-System: contains the BM5 programs (no need to change size)

DATA: this is where the music is stored. My partition is much larger than yours: 923.7 GB, I would give it a try to change the size.

Good luck, Robert

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Fri, Mar 24 2017 12:39 AM
I just have resized the cloned HDD, but the BS5 does not boot to 100%.

Starting is stoped with an error :

Unable to write to E:\BM-Share\ ...

As I had to gain access to the 1TB on a Windows Pc I've tested several things including rightsmanagement.

I will restart from scratch and keep you informed.

BTW how did you connect a mouse to the BM5, mine did not respond.

CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Fri, Mar 24 2017 5:59 AM

Both problems you described ocurred to me as well - this is where you realise that the embedded version is not a fully fledged Windows XPAngry!

"Unable to write" - always ocurred after I attempted to align the partitions - try first to boot the BM5 with the unmodified offline clone copy of the HDD / SSD (this was my "simple solution" at the end... I did not have to alter the size of partitions but this might be the reason for this error.

"mouse does not work" - I had the same problem. Initially, I attached a monitor to the second display port, subsequently the mouse did not work. Try the following: use a USB 2.0 splitter, connect mouse and keyboard but not a monitor. Then proceed to the Windows XP screen - it worked for me.

Good luck, Robert

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Fri, Mar 24 2017 1:38 PM
CooperS:

"Unable to write" - always ocurred after I attempted to align the partitions

What do you understand by align partions.

There us also a difference using the HDD on Windows or Linux:

Win: DATA and BM-System may not be accessed

Linux: all 4 Partitions may be accessed.

CooperS:

try first to boot the BM5 with the unmodified offline clone copy of the HDD ...

This worked with out a problem.

At boot I was asked if I want to start BM or BM Recovery, with BM at default.

What does this stand for?

After the resizing I noticed that the BM took much longer to start before it brought the error message. Perhaps because of the bigger size?

CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Fri, Mar 24 2017 5:31 PM

"BM or BM Recovery" - the working and default system to boot is BM, I never used BM Recovery which seems to be a rescue option.

Please check my previous post regarding partition alignment on Windows XP, there is also plenty of other posts on this subject (unrelated to BM5). It improves write speed by aligning the partitions to the optimal SSD format. Please note that all my attempts to align partitions failed, creating the errors you describe.

My BM5 now runs very well with an unaligned SSD, so maybe the issue is overrated...

With the optimizing SSD related tasks, there is no need to access DATA and BM-System.

best, Robert

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Fri, Mar 24 2017 7:28 PM

gerard:
I just have resized the cloned HDD, but the BS5 does not boot to 100%.

Starting is stoped with an error :

Unable to write to E:\BM-Share\ ...

As I had to gain access to the 1TB on a Windows Pc I've tested several things including rightsmanagement.

I will restart from scratch and keep you informed.

BTW how did you connect a mouse to the BM5, mine did not respond.

In my experience this error always occurs when any changes are made to the partition table, for example, when enlarging the data partition after cloning to a disk larger than the original, so is not specific to cloning onto an SSD - the changes to the partition table cause XP to become confused as to which partition is which, so the BM-SHARE partition does not get mounted.

You can choose BM Recovery at boot and run through the recovery process which seems to fix this issue, and the system should then boot fine afterwards (you'll need to let it do the software updates afterwards too).

Martin.

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sun, Mar 26 2017 12:37 AM
riverstyx:

You can choose BM Recovery at boot and run through the recovery process which seems to fix this issue ...

Thank's Martin for the recovery Tip, it worked fine.

Before:

After:

Now I will have to learn how the setup works. I think it would be better to start a new threat for that.

I'm thinking about going the SSD way.

Do you think it is possible to wait for the 1TB SSDs price drop, or is it a must to get one of the first 1TB SSDs due to compatibilty issues?

CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Thu, Apr 13 2017 3:12 PM

Hi to all,

as a short update - my BM5 is now running daily for nearly a month on the Crucial MX300 SSD - flawless and faultless!

Robert

wantoniak
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
wantoniak replied on Sat, Apr 15 2017 5:47 AM

Thank you Robert

This is good news. Could you please confirm if this is the drive you are using "SSD Crucial MX300 1024 GB CT1050MX300SSD1"

Thanks a lot

Wojtek

CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Sat, Apr 15 2017 8:44 AM

Yes, it seems there is only one 1TB Crucial MX300, please note that the capacity is 1050 GB. This is the link to where I ordered it: https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/crucial-mx300-1050gb-25-ssd-5896363

best, Robert

CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Tue, Apr 18 2017 5:55 PM

Just a final remark on the Beomaster 5 Architecture, relevant to SSD performance. I was toying with the idea to switch from IDE Disk Standard (default) to the newer AHCI on my Beomaster 5. By visiting the Win XP Device Manager, I meanwhile found out that my Beomaster 5 runs on a single core Chipset VIA C7-D 2000Mhz - definitely not Intel and no comparison to modern multiple core Chipsets. Entering the BIOS menu (by pressing DEL as soon as the B&O Logo shows up during reboot), the BIOS reveals that there is no parameter to switch from IDE to AHCI. So IDE shall be the standard for the remaining lifetime of the systemAngry. There seems to be no major performance or reliability issue with running an SSD on IDE, but again that might be the reason that some SSD brands work well on BM5 and others do not.

I will put my attempts to improve the BM5 system performance to rest and count on a long life of the SSD-equipped BM5Thumbs Up..,

best, Robert

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Thu, Feb 21 2019 11:13 PM
Hi Robert,

how is your SSD equiped BM5 going after 2 years test?

gerard
CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Fri, Feb 22 2019 11:34 AM

Hi Gerard,

thanks for asking - it runs absolutely flawlessly on a daily basis, no problems or faults at all.

best, Robert

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Tue, Feb 26 2019 10:39 AM
Nice to hear,

I've upgraded my HDD to a

Crucial MS500 1TB

worked without problem.
beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Tue, Feb 26 2019 8:44 PM
Great. You won’t regret it.
gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Thu, Feb 28 2019 12:02 PM
managed to get gparted running on BM5 to repartion new 1TB SSD Crucial MS500 1TB

But the SSD is not shown.

(BTW Crucial MD500 1TB cloned with the original 0.5 TB B&O HDD works fine)

ethuijs
Not Ranked
Posts 68
Bronze Member
ethuijs replied on Thu, Jan 2 2020 3:54 PM

Dear Gerard,

How did you clone the Crucilal MX500?

And does it still works fine and fast? No issues?

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Thu, Jan 2 2020 7:26 PM
Hi ethuijs,

unfortunately NO.

My project with the MX500 was very special as I wanted to do it all on the BM5.

Let’s make the story short:

- Cloning on the BM5 is possible without any PC, but since the BM5 service tool is available, there’s even someone selling it on ebay, it is much faster to use the service tool then buying clonestations and repartioning the disc.

- to the MX500, I never got it to work properly, the problem is the boot. When waking up from standby the BM5 mostly did not see the SSD and I had to switch the BM5 On and Off over and over again until one boot went to 100%. It was so frustrating that I even did not use the BS5 anymore.

- Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile Now I have used a 1TB Sandisk ULTRA 3D SSD Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile and it works great !!!!Lets have a Party !!!Lets have a Party !!!Lets have a Party !!!

I used the service tool to clone the original HDD (which had no music on it)

It’s running for one month now and has had no problem at all, showing the cover-art or radiostation logos is as fast as a flash !!!

Even if you already bought a MX500, forget about it!! Buy a ULTRA 3D as long as they still exist as new product. Or take an other one with the same controller.

you may read my experience with the controller here:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/17311/294093.aspx#294093

and here:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/37179.aspx

here you have a listing of SSDs with the name of their controllers:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html
CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Fri, Jan 3 2020 11:15 AM

Maybe I was just lucky but my Beomaster 5 works perfectly well on a daily basis using a cloned 1TB Crucial MX300 for more than three years now, no booting- or compatibility issues whatsoever. I have no experience with the MX500 vs the MX300 but it may well be that there is a HW compatibility issue keeping in mind the very outdated hard- and software (Windows XP embedded..) so I would stick to the MX300 as the system is not equipped to benefit from a more recent SSD hardware. I have not increased the size of the disk (my Beomaster 5 was running on a 1TB HDD) and this seems to be a common source of problems described in this forum.

Good luck, RobertSmile

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Fri, Jan 3 2020 4:29 PM
CooperS:

Maybe I was just lucky but my Beomaster 5 works perfectly well on a daily basis using a cloned 1TB Crucial MX300 for more than three years now, no booting- or compatibility issues whatsoever. I have not increased the size of the disk (my Beomaster 5 was running on a 1TB HDD)

Same for me. And my system is on all the time.
gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sat, Jan 4 2020 8:18 AM
MX300 and MX500 have different controller chips.

MX300 has the same controller ass the ULTRA 3D SSD from Sandisk.

I couldn’t source a new MX300 but the ULTRA 3D may still be found new.
wantoniak
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
wantoniak replied on Sat, Jan 4 2020 10:41 AM

MX300 1Tb works for sure, I have it for 3-4 years and never had one single problem (like what I experienced with Samsung or other drives ). The issue maybe with cloning - I have used EASEUS free cloning software, it has few options, as far as cloning method is concerned, I do not remember exactly what option/method I used, but it worked on two system with MX300 500GB and 1Tb drives.

oskarax
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
oskarax replied on Mon, Jun 1 2020 7:39 PM

Hi! I have a 500gb Beomaster 5 and I want to do the SSD upgrade. I have read all the pages in this thread and there is two SSDs that is being mentioned as the right ones. MX300 and MX500. But they doesn't seem to be able to buy today. What other 500gb SSD will work for me?

Thanks!

CooperS
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
CooperS replied on Tue, Jun 2 2020 1:11 PM

according to another entry in this blog, the Sandisk 3D Ultra 500 uses the same controller as the Crucial MX300 but I have not tried. This product still seems to be available. Please let us know whether this is successful. best, Robert

hfinette
Not Ranked
Posts 34
Bronze Member

Hello, i will get a SunDisk ultra 3d 1TB tomorrow and i will clone it with the B&O software tool. I understand it so that i have to replace the original HDD with the SSD and then boot up with the b&o tool and then clone the entire HDD, is that the right way ??

Thanks for any tips

hfinette
Not Ranked
Posts 34
Bronze Member

Hello, i will get a SunDisk ultra 3d 1TB tomorrow and i will clone it with the B&O software tool. I understand it so that i have to replace the original HDD with the SSD and then boot up with the b&o tool and then clone the entire HDD, is that the right way ??

Thanks for any tips

Page 2 of 3 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS