Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoSound Core Compatibility

rated by 0 users
This post has 56 Replies | 5 Followers

alee
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Bronze Member
alee replied on Sun, Sep 23 2018 4:07 AM

So, a quick update: BL5s and BS Core are working fine by powerlink. I notice no audio issues at all. I’m using a standard RJ45 to 8 pin converter and my old mk3 cables.

I’ve also linked my NAD M50.2 via optical to the core for streaming with Tidal. The combination is perfect...I get the first MQA unfold through the M50.2 and the core automatically detects the connection, so speakers jump on and off with no clicks. Very happy. 

alee
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Bronze Member
alee replied on Sun, Sep 23 2018 4:30 PM

Really sorry, but it looks like I had been blinded by hope. At low volume, there is still a discernible hissing, as the OP noted, which sounds like a record. 

Its not noticeable when louder, but it looks like my previous post was wrong. That being said, I’m keeping it as is...while the hissing is annoying, it’s something I can live with for the convenience of the current setup. That being said, if I see an essence pop up cheap online, I’ll probably get it to try it out. 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Alee,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems.  Please can you try turning up the Core volume to approx. 50-75% and then using the volume control of the Beolab 5 speakers to reduce the level?  This should remove the hissing issue.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Sounds a bit like a cable problem.

Have you tried different optical cables?

How long is that?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

alee
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Bronze Member
alee replied on Tue, Sep 25 2018 5:32 AM

I’m currently just using powerlink (I have mk3s for my BL5s). 

Steve - I will try what you have recommended, but isn’t the core already set at fixed output and changing the volume through the BL5s when hooked up via powerlink?  Also, according to an email I got back from

B&O:

Hello again,

I was lucky - someone with knowledge about this still had not left for holiday.

The reason is hardware - the Power Link in the BeoSound Core does not support the BeoLab 5 which is why a digital connection is required for transmission of sound.

Kind regards,
REDACTED”
Now, as I noted, audio is getting through, so I’m not sure what B&O means, unless the soft crackling sound is the problem. The speakers turn on and off without issue. 
alee
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Bronze Member
alee replied on Wed, Oct 3 2018 12:04 AM

Ok. After about 2 weeks of listening...I am returning to mu original thought. The “soft crackling noise” is imperceptible at any volume worth listening at. I’m going ahead and saying the beosound core and beolab 5s are totally working ok with each other. 

I don’t know why B&O doesn’t think these work together, but they definitely seem to be working just fine to me. Use with confidence!

danne99
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
danne99 replied on Mon, Feb 4 2019 8:01 AM

Hello,

Is there a special setting to choose in the core to let in know that you are hooked up a pair of lab5s?

So the core knows that is going to send sound via optical and control via powerlink?

David
Not Ranked
Dubai, UAE
Posts 27
Bronze Member

In short, yes. With the Optical/Coax converter connected you need to change the settings on the Core as follows. See attached.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Nice one and probably not very well known.

Will the BL5’s then turn on, when played to from the Core - using the app, AirPlay/ChromeCast or the BeoRemote One/BT (and off again).......anyone tried that combination?

MM

David
Not Ranked
Dubai, UAE
Posts 27
Bronze Member
David replied on Tue, Feb 5 2019 6:47 AM

When controlling everything via the Core (and therefore the app), yes. Power on/off and also volume is controlled by powerlink connection, and the audio signal is transmitted via the Optical/Coaxial connection. 

I also had success when activating the system using other components connected to Core - eg Bluetooth connection to an Apple TV also worked well. 

Didn't try the BeoRemote One/BT - my system is a stand along Core/Beolab 5 combination. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks for coming back on that!

I guess that could be interesting for some of the (other) BL5 owners.

P.S. I supposed that you know, that the BROne/bt now works with the Core - that makes controlling a lot easier (no app needed just for vlume changes, direct access to radio stations etc)..

MM

Martin
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 357
Silver Member
Martin replied on Tue, Feb 5 2019 10:29 AM

Hi,

Just a thought. Maybe not so good that the Core will send 48khz when all music is recorded in 44,1 khz (or high resulution in 88,2khz and 96 khz).

Will the Core convert all 44,1khz music to 48 khz? In that case the sound could degrade a little bit.

Much better is to put the Beolab 5 in "Option 1" and buy an external (from other brand) streamer and get the sound correct (with 44,1 khz output) all the way with a Coax-cable directly to the Labs 5 and not a Coax/toslink-converter.

Best Regards
Martin

NEW! Beovision Eclipse 65 2nd generation (G1) with floorstand (from STB Brackets), Beolab 50 front, Beolab 3 rear, 2 x Beoplay A6 linkrooms, 2xBeoremote one BT, Beosound 9000 Mark III (sw 3.4), Beosound 5 (for DLNA only),  Philips Hue (all lights in the home), Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K (2021 model). Beoremote HALO, 3xBeoplay Charging pad, Beoplay M5

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

How much this code convertion will be noticeable when listening, only a test could show (and do you know what is going on in a non-B&O streamer?).

By the way that is also what happens in an ATV connected via HDMI, when people airplay music to it!

However, the ease of controlling the combo would mean very much to me.

The coax/toslink conversion should not be an issue.

The BL5’s are old speakers - with the 50/90 B&O has taken a huge step forward.

But there are lots of BL5’s out there.

I see this Core option as a possibility - what it is worth in the end only testing for a somehow longer period can tell.

MM

danne99
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
danne99 replied on Sat, Feb 9 2019 11:16 AM

Hello, thanks for that info but isnt it strange not to put it in highest bitrate?

I guess do to older lab 5s they cant handle sound over 88khz.

danne99
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
danne99 replied on Sat, Feb 9 2019 11:35 AM

David:

In short, yes. With the Optical/Coax converter connected you need to change the settings on the Core as follows. See attached.

Where did you get this document? Is there more?

This info must be quit new?

danne99
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
danne99 replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 3:09 PM

Someone?

Lennart25
Not Ranked
Germany
Posts 46
Bronze Member

All models of the Beolab 5 support up to 96kHz sampling rate. There is no limit at 88.1 kHz. I specifially asked the B&O Support for this once. 

Page 2 of 2 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS