Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Apple TV 4/4K Siri remote and Beovision

rated by 0 users
This post has 72 Replies | 6 Followers

soundboy
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
soundboy replied on Sat, Apr 11 2020 9:35 PM

madskp:
As mentioned by Guy a possibility might to connect to the DVI port of the BV7 to get the handshake between the TV and the ATV to let the remote know which IR signals it shall send

But even with that in place you will probably only succed with the ATV remote without the white circle

If only it was that that simple as Guy directed... :) I have tried everything, I almost always use forums to ask for help as a last resort...

@madskp with DVI I think I'm stumbling upon yet another problem... it never worked with my ATV. I'm not even sure if it would work with anything else. I couldn't get any signal, that's why I switched to SCART which is scaling ATV horribly... It is what it is.  

And I've already had my hopes high :) 

soundboy
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
soundboy replied on Sat, Apr 11 2020 9:43 PM

I'm sorry for some reason I cannot edit my previous post. Two more things. I am I guess a happy owner of the ATV remote without white circle and with 257 firmware. Moreover, with the DVI, when I was researching how to make it work before it seemed to me, that it would not work because my Beovision 7 is not HD Ready... For 9311 version it's HD ready from serial 19xxxx and mine’s 18xxxxx. So I gave up and went with SCART-HDMI scaler.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Apr 12 2020 12:27 PM

soundboy:

I'm sorry for some reason I cannot edit my previous post. Two more things. I am I guess a happy owner of the ATV remote without white circle and with 257 firmware. Moreover, with the DVI, when I was researching how to make it work before it seemed to me, that it would not work because my Beovision 7 is not HD Ready... For 9311 version it's HD ready from serial 19xxxx and mine’s 18xxxxx. So I gave up and went with SCART-HDMI scaler.

You'll get a much better picture if you use the DVI socket.  And it doesn't matter if your TV is not HD ready - this is simply an hdcp problem (google it!).  I use my Apple TV4 with a non-HD BV6-26.

I use one of these boxes to extract the audio, and it has the added advantage of removing the hdcp: https://www.amazon.co.uk/aoeyoo%C2%AE-Analog-Converter-Digital-Extractor-White/dp/B00NAJ4UM2/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=SOUTHSKY+HDMI+to+HDMI+%2B+Audio+Converter&qid=1586690544&sr=8-5

As stated earlier in this thread, initially connect the Apple TV direct to your TV's DVI socket using a hdmi to DVI cable.  The sound won't work, but this will hopefully trigger your remote to adopt the B&O volume control protocol.  Then insert the audio extractor and feed the audio into the corresponding input on the TV.

soundboy
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
soundboy replied on Sun, Apr 12 2020 12:56 PM

@Guy if this works it's pure gold! I remembered I've already read about hdcp before and it was the ultimate reason I went after SCART eventually. Didn't know how to ”break it”. 

Thanks heaps! I'll post a reply once I try this one out, when the box has arrived.  Being able to watch my ATV through DVI on my Beo is so much more than I expected! OMG

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Sun, Apr 12 2020 12:59 PM
Another option that comes to mind is that you could initially connect it to another B&O TV with HDMI to get the handshake so the ATVremote transmit B&O IR codes. And after that connect it to your own setup.

I just tried to disconnect my Apple TV and take the remote to a BV6 I have in another room, and it was able to control the Volume of the BV6.
madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Sun, Apr 12 2020 5:39 PM

I just updated the first post in the thread with info about the second generation Siri remote and firmware versions

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Apr 24 2020 11:38 AM

madskp:

I just updated the first post in the thread with info about the second generation Siri remote and firmware versions

Hi Mads - I meant to reply to thank you for updating the first post - this thread really is very useful for those who need (want) Siri remote volume control of B&O TVs. I am also interested to see how soundboy gets on! 

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Fri, Apr 24 2020 6:20 PM
No problem. I think it’s always interesting to discover new features in the products I have.

On a side note I just got my parents Beocenter 6-26 because they were not using it anymore. So when I have a little extra time I think I will do some experimentation with the ATV remote on this
kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Sun, Sep 13 2020 11:19 PM

I have set up at  latest generation with bvis 10, it has the pu code for apple but it does not seem to work, is it possible to control tv with apple remote I could not seem to get it to work

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Mon, Sep 14 2020 5:16 AM
Unfortunally the second generation of the Apple remoe with the white ring does not seem to have the ability to control a Beovision TV with IR codes. So no luck there.
MVee
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
MVee replied on Tue, Dec 22 2020 10:05 AM

Great thread and overview, thanks for that!

For me it works to control volume with my SiriRemote (1st generation, from AppleTV 4 (HD) ) and my Beovision7-40 MK5 also switches on after a couple of seconds.

However, one question on that switching on: how to make sure my Beovision does not switch on in the 'TV' function, but in the 'DTV' function, to which my AppleTV is connected via HDMI? Are these defaults to be set based on preference? Now I still need to use Apple and B&O remotes to get started.

Thanks!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Dec 22 2020 11:33 AM

Welcome to Beoworld!

I don't have a BV7, but from looking at the manual I think that you need to go into the CONNECTIONS menu, find the corresponding hdmi input and change AUTO SELECTION to ON.

But it's a bit of a guess!

MVee
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
MVee replied on Tue, Dec 22 2020 2:39 PM

Thanks for your reply Guy!

Put it to ON does not seem to do the trick, still going to TV first.

Tried to assign the HDMI A with the AppleTV to the 'TV' button as a work around, as that seems to be the default, but somehow can't seem to get sounds. Seems I can only assign AppleTV to DTV/DTV2?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Dec 22 2020 2:57 PM

In order to use TV, did you disable the TUNER in the TUNER SETUP menu?

Also, I see in the CONNECTIONS menu that  that there is a SOUND INPUT option with each source.  Did you set this to the appropriate hdmi input?

MVee
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
MVee replied on Tue, Dec 22 2020 4:09 PM

It keeps me puzzled. Yes, have switched the tuner off, assigning it to the TV button seems to work and have the right HDMI A selected.

What I discovered meanwhile is that it has to do with the order of switching on devices. I need to switch of all devices. In case I wake up the ATV with its Siri remote also the BV switches on (to TV, which is the ATV), however, does not respond to the volume buttons of neither my Beo4 nor the Siri remote and sound is not audible in any way. If I do it the other way around with both devices off, switching on the BV with the Beo4 and than the ATV with the Siri remote it works.

It seems as if that was not the case when I had it connected to DTV. However now chanching it back does not solve the issue, keep having problems with the order and then it keeps switching to TV first, not automatically to DTV, which is the problem I was trying to solve...

Any thoughts or advice is very much appreciated, thanks a million!

MVee
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
MVee replied on Tue, Dec 22 2020 4:10 PM

It keeps me puzzled. Yes, have switched the tuner off, assigning it to the TV button seems to work and have the right HDMI A selected.

What I discovered meanwhile is that it has to do with the order of switching on devices. I need to switch of all devices. In case I wake up the ATV with its Siri remote also the BV switches on (to TV, which is the ATV), however, does not respond to the volume buttons of neither my Beo4 nor the Siri remote and sound is not audible in any way. If I do it the other way around with both devices off, switching on the BV with the Beo4 and than the ATV with the Siri remote it works.

It seems as if that was not the case when I had it connected to DTV. However now chanching it back does not solve the issue, keep having problems with the order and then it keeps switching to TV first, not automatically to DTV, which is the problem I was trying to solve...

Any thoughts or advice is very much appreciated, thanks a million!

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 321
Gold Member
madskp replied on Tue, Dec 22 2020 8:48 PM
Its a little unclear to me if you wish to use the B&O TV command for the HDMI port connected to the ATV or if you rather like to use the DTV command.

However the SIRI remote will only transmit the TV command (the same as if you press TV on a B&O remote) as a turn on command, and there is no possibilities for other commands to use on the SIRI remote.

The Volume functions however will work with all B&O video related commands: TV/DTV/DTV2/DVD/V.MEM etc.

So your only option is to assign the TV command to the HDMI port as you have allready tried.

Your sound problem however seems odd.

Have you tried another HDMI cable?

Is the BEO4 showing TV in the display when you are not able to adjust the volume?

Can you try to use an other HDMI port on the TVto see if the problem persist?

Finally resetting the TV to factory settings and starting over might be an option if you are ok with setting things up again and not afraid of loosing settings?

Hope this might be helping you
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Dec 23 2020 9:55 AM

madskp:
Can you try to use an other HDMI port on the TVto see if the problem persist?

I am glad that madskp has posted because I was running out of ideas!  The only other thing that I would have suggested was madskp's suggestion about trying all the other hdmi sockets because they do have slightly different specifications in certain setups (eg hdmi matrix).  Don't forget to change all the relevant setting in the CONNECTIONS menu as you swap the hmdi, making sure that the AUTO SELECTION and SOUND INPUT are correct.  You might just find an option that works!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member

I am revisiting this thread because Apple have now brought out a '2nd generation' Siri remote: https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MJFM3ZM/A/siri-remote

My first generation (earlier version, no white circle) siri remotes are still working well to control the volume on my BV6s directly via 455kHz IR, but I wonder if this new version will work in the same manner.  I suspect not, as the 455kHz IR capability seemed to have been removed from the later first generation 'white circle' remotes.

I look forward to hearing if anyone is able to test.

Beroli
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 316
Bronze Member
Beroli replied on Sat, May 22 2021 11:44 AM

I handed my Siri2 remote back to UPS today. 3 reasons were decisive. On one hand, this remote can not be used for Bang & Olufsen TVs either, because it is not able to read or transmit the frequency of the original B&O remote. The first AppleTV 4 remote control (without a white ring) could still do that. As a result, numerous buttons on the Siri2-Remote have no function for my setup. Second: I am annoyed by the very loud clicking noise of the buttons. the thickness of the new remote control creates enough volume inside to make it sound like a dog clicker. After all, I didn't like the finish that much and the hard edges - not a flattering touch. The lack of remote gaming sensors compared to the predecessor was not relevant to me - but ultimately the added value I expected for upgrading my existing Apple TV 4K has shrunk so much that Siri2 had to leave the house.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, May 22 2021 12:19 PM

I, too, got the new Apple TV 4K Gen2 yesterday. I really hated the old siri remote. The new remote give better control. What I really wish, however, is to see B&O give some attention to updating the PUC so that the BeoSystem 4 can "wake" the Apple TV without the need of pressing the green button.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, May 22 2021 12:36 PM

Beroli:

I handed my Siri2 remote back to UPS today. 3 reasons were decisive. On one hand, this remote can not be used for Bang & Olufsen TVs either, because it is not able to read or transmit the frequency of the original B&O remote. The first AppleTV 4 remote control (without a white ring) could still do that. As a result, numerous buttons on the Siri2-Remote have no function for my setup. Second: I am annoyed by the very loud clicking noise of the buttons. the thickness of the new remote control creates enough volume inside to make it sound like a dog clicker. After all, I didn't like the finish that much and the hard edges - not a flattering touch. The lack of remote gaming sensors compared to the predecessor was not relevant to me - but ultimately the added value I expected for upgrading my existing Apple TV 4K has shrunk so much that Siri2 had to leave the house.

Thanks for this info - I won't bother getting one!  Hopefully the introduction of the new TV will drive down the prices of second hand ATV4s, the original without the white circle remote!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, May 26 2021 3:02 PM

beojeff:

I, too, got the new Apple TV 4K Gen2 yesterday. I really hated the old siri remote. The new remote give better control. What I really wish, however, is to see B&O give some attention to updating the PUC so that the BeoSystem 4 can "wake" the Apple TV without the need of pressing the green button.

It's slightly off-topic for this thread, but what functionality does the B&O PUC give for Beo4 control of Apple TV?

I presume the Beo4 arrow keys move the ATV cursor, and the GO button is select (like clicking trackpad).  But what Beo4 button is used for MENU, and are there any additional controls?

(I don't have the ATV PUC on my BC6, but have 'taught' my ATV some Humax STB commands - hence my question is simply to ask what I am missing, if anything!)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Yes, the arrows (in my case the navistick/Beo4) moves the cursor and GO (pushing the navi) accepts/chooses item.

Depending, you can also scroll in a video with the navistick/the arrows L/R.

Up and down brings you into the Sound/Subtitles choices of a given movie....

STOP and PLAY (on my Beo4) does....you know what!

The green button brings you back into the main app menu.

Back toggles between the app menu and the screen saver (just found that out πŸ˜‰) - and of cource also brings you a step back from where you are in the menu of the given app.

The source button (dedicated to the input) turns in the ATV

That is about all, I think - and that is what I use and need on a daily basis.

OK - I don’t need things like voice control, user switching etc.

I have never used or even unpacked any of the remotes that came with my ATV’s.

P.S. if I need to move apps etc or to type in a longer text/search, I use the Remote app/Apple, that is on my iPad —— if active, the iPad even detects that and the ATV offers writing on the iPad keyboard instead.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, May 26 2021 9:21 PM

Thanks MM - that's a useful summary.

I don't have the Beo4 Navi version, but I taught my ATV Green as Menu (hence also power on), and then Red and Blue as skip backwards/forwards.  Also Stop as Stop!

I do also use the Siri remote sometimes, especially as this will control the TV volume as described earlier in the thread. 

tigerisak
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 124
Bronze Member
tigerisak replied on Mon, Aug 9 2021 10:32 AM

Hi guys. 

Any idea how to get the "hover" menu to work with a PUC on a Beovision Eclipse?

tigerisak
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 124
Bronze Member
tigerisak replied on Sun, Sep 19 2021 9:35 AM

No answer?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Sun, Sep 19 2021 10:58 AM

Nope, it seems Apple forgot to program an IR command for that.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Nov 24 2021 11:42 AM

Millemissen:

Yes, the arrows (in my case the navistick/Beo4) moves the cursor and GO (pushing the navi) accepts/chooses item.

Depending, you can also scroll in a video with the navistick/the arrows L/R.

Up and down brings you into the Sound/Subtitles choices of a given movie....

STOP and PLAY (on my Beo4) does....you know what!

The green button brings you back into the main app menu.

Back toggles between the app menu and the screen saver (just found that out πŸ˜‰) - and of cource also brings you a step back from where you are in the menu of the given app.

The source button (dedicated to the input) turns in the ATV

That is about all, I think - and that is what I use and need on a daily basis.

Quick follow up question to MM:  Does you ATV switch on when you select it as a source using the Beo4?

As discussed in the 'Beo4 navi' thread, with my 'new' BV10-32 I am using the built in 'Apple Remote' PUC to control my Apple TV HD, but it does not power on when I select it (in my case using 'DTV').   I therefore have to use the Apple Remote to power it on.

Do I need a newer PUC rather than the built in 'Apple Remote' - is there one that is specific to ATV?

Alternatively, I suppose I could simply teach the Apple TV to respond to one of the other STBs (eg Humax) as I did with m old BC6-26. 

Any thoughts?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

This is the one, that I have installed on my V1/ATV4HD - full text is: ‘…..from OS13’.

I know of noone newer there.

And sure, the ATV turns on.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Deleted- double post Sad

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Nov 24 2021 12:29 PM

^  I think I have a solution to my question above after further experimentation!

With the Beo4 non-navi:  After selecting the Apple TV input using DTV, pressing EXIT will turn the Apple TV on.

With the Beo4 navi: After selecting Apple TV input using DTV, pressing BACK with turn the Apple TV on.

Hence not ideal, but workable and I can now hide away the siri remote Smile

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Nov 24 2021 12:32 PM

^^  Many thanks indeed MM - I think that the simple 'Apple Remote' PUC is too old to turn on the 4th gen ATV.  Nevertheless I have a workable solution as just posted.

Another 7 years or so and I might just have a Beovision with a downloadable PUC! Smile

EDIT:  Here's my limited PUC table:

Page 2 of 2 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS