Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

OLED, LG vs/& B&O

rated by 0 users
This post has 51 Replies | 2 Followers

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Considering video without considering audio is a no go to me.

I see the whole package first........where do I find good video combined with good audio (and more).

That is the question, I want to have answered before I buy a new tv to replace my BV Avant 55.

But that is just my ‘use case’ ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Nov 28 2018 3:14 PM

moxxey:
Perplexes me that in 2018 were still *that* obsessed with picture quality. Smh. Seriously. It’s so marginal now. There were huge leaps in picture quality between the years from 2005 through 2015, but anything since is relatively marginal. For instance, the “old” BV7-55 MK2 still has a superb picture and so does the BV12-65.

I took this approach when I bought my BV8-40 years ago.  I thought the picture looked great (obviously not as good as the BV7, but I did have a budget), and figured the dust had cleared from the big jump from SD to HD and, from now on, improvements would be marginal.  I was "done", didn't pay attention to video technology because I liked what I had and the rest was transient mumbo-jumbo (like 3D).

Then along came OLED, 4K, HDR...  On some scales, these are "marginal" improvements, and to my eyes the difference between HD and 4K is no where near the difference between SD and HD.  Some of it is like music, a lot of the perceived quality is content and mastering dependent., but when you have good content and mastering, these new technologies are quite nice.  I *really* like OLED (and getting life-like instead of "too good" is a matter of settings), but maybe part of this is because I'm comparing it to a 8 year old BV8.

So clearly, I didn't learn my lesson, because I bought an Eclipse using the original logic of the BV8 purchase.  Really, how much better can video get, and do the expected future marginal improvements in picture quality out weigh the total Eclipse "package" of beautiful design (great front, no ugly wires behind), fabulous sound, unique motorized stand, integration with other B&O and non-B&O equipment, etc.  To me, the answer was no.  Maybe in 8 years, I'll think about upgrading again...

I can appreciate Michael's point about how a new TV should have new technology, but I don't know if this has ever been one of B&O's priorities (for both good and bad). 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Nov 28 2018 3:28 PM

Stan:
I can appreciate Michael's point about how a new TV should have new technology, but I don't know if this has ever been one of B&O's priorities (for both good and bad). 

Of course it has been a priority and still is. The Eclipse was released with a then totally new high tech display. The Eclipse was released 30 aug. 2017. So it is not up to date for now. LG has moved up to new panels and I was just asking if the Eclipse was updated too or not.

I've been a fan of B&O ever since I was a young child and I always begged my dad to let me follow him to the B&O store when he would go. I would play with the different stereo setups, speakers, tvs and even phones. B&O always was at the forefront with odd and high tech stuff (vinyl players with linear playback, automated arm movements and all the other cool stuff, glass panels that would open when you come close, beosound 9000 with its patented laser that stops a disc to the exact same spot it was first placed in the player etc etc.).

They had extremely interesting motion and video processing even on older CRT sets, VisionClear, 100 hz, flat tubes and light adjusting and automatical format sensing stuff. And it could pick up data from the channel transmisison to label recordings and much much else. I would say B&O tends to lean on modern tech and evolve with it and create their own paths. The Avant 55" had gamma adapting sensors so the image would change even to hue differences in the room, never seen on any TVs before (or after I think).

Its not just the panel that is interesting in a TV, its also so much else, the connectivity (HDCP, HDMI, HDR, ARC and so on) and the processing (scaling, speed of interface, motion compensation and adapting to different frequencies etc etc. There is more than that too, like image retention issues with OLED that is getting more and more resolved with newer panels and software to pixel jump. Components change to be safer, quieter and work better, consume less power. The list is long. I simply just wanted to know, if the Eclipse was updated. It's an expensive set and the collaboration is there. I don't think its a big problem to put the current model on the stand but I realize they chose not to this time.

It is probably very good as it is, but it is a little bit like going into a car dealership or a computer store and pick up the model from the last year. They are of course luxurious and as good as they could be, then.  

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Michael:

Of course it has been a priority and still is. The Eclipse was released with a then totally new high tech display. The Eclipse was released 30 aug. 2017. So it is not up to date for now. LG has moved up to new panels and I was just asking if the Eclipse was updated too or not.

Just to be clear, the panel is the same, no change, Only the processor, which they claim have a big difference, but seems in practice have very few improvements.

They have just teased the 2019 program, look Flatpanelshd, not much new it seems.

On a other note, my experience from full-hd to 4K, both OLED,

No difference, no matter content. On a 55" 3 meter distance, 4K is not necessary.

HDR is something different, and bring some new to the table, but I must amid, I am not blown away.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Nov 28 2018 4:30 PM

John from B&O Manchester has just posted his Edge video.

One commenter (to the YT video) noticed an LG 77 inch screen with a pair of BL17s, confirmed by John himself.

Does suggest to me that his displaying of B&O suff with non-B&O screens points to a future without BV's.

I know this has been covered ad infinitum before, and would come as no surprise, but still makes me a little sad.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Emil Jensen:

Just to be clear, the panel is the same, no change, Only the processor, which they claim have a big difference, but seems in practice have very few improvements.

They have just teased the 2019 program, look Flatpanelshd, not much new it seems.

No difference, no matter content. On a 55" 3 meter distance, 4K is not necessary.

HDR is something different, and bring some new to the table, but I must amid, I am not blown away.

Beolab 20, Beolab 17, Transmitter 1

I have to agree with you. I’ve been watching rugby in UHD, and unless it had said so in the corner I wouldn’t honestly have noticed.

Ready Player One on UHD disc is noticeably different from its Apple TV version but that’s about it. There are times when HDR etc obviously make a noticeable difference, but not all the time.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Nov 28 2018 6:01 PM
Emil Jensen:

Beolab 20, Beolab 17, Transmitter 1

To me there’s a difference absolutely but it’s not very obvious on most video. A lot of movies and stuff is still shot in lower res and upscaled to 4K from 2.5K or less.

A good thing with 4K is that the pixelation of compression becomes less obvious when the blocks are smaller, there’s also more room for hues and grades of color and light. I enjoy that. I notice that Netflix pushes really nice 4K content and I make out details that full hd just can’t do as well. For example graphics on screens and text is much sharper.

When I replaced my Apple TV 4 with a 4K I also noticed that the text and GUI was much nicer and sharper, just as I noticed when I got my PlayStation 4 pro. Much cleaner and smoother graphics in 4K than watching 1920x1080 (for graphic GUI that is pixelated on 55”, I have higher resolution on both my iPhone and MacBook Pro).

I remember when I had a Nvidia shield TV how text was blurrier because of the full hd interface and only 4K on video streams. So long story short; there is a difference and even if you don’t make out the individual pixels it can make a difference when more pixels becomes a nicer shape of a letter or graphic. And for compression of moving images, and color gradients and hues.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Sandyb:

John from B&O Manchester has just posted his Edge video.

One commenter (to the YT video) noticed an LG 77 inch screen with a pair of BL17s, confirmed by John himself.

Does suggest to me that his displaying of B&O suff with non-B&O screens points to a future without BV's.

I know this has been covered ad infinitum before, and would come as no surprise, but still makes me a little sad.

I suspect that is a conscious business decision to drive speaker sales for those people that come in to the store and say "i've got an x TV, how can I pair up some B&O speakers," rather than aligning to a corporate strategy.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Nov 28 2018 10:15 PM

That's probably the primary reason in this case - i.e. a need for a 77 inch screen in the store (the demand exists, B&O dont offer one as of now), more than a sanctioned nod to a future corporate strategy.

But ask yourself this - do you / we honestly expect a successor BV to the Eclipse?

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Well if they don’t I’ll not need their speakers. For me it’s their only unique selling point.

Brian
Top 500 Contributor
London/Aarhus
Posts 219
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Thu, Nov 29 2018 6:42 PM

I have just wall mounted an LG B7 55 panel with a Beosound 35 underneath acting as a soundbar and multiroom speaker in my bedroom and an LG B8 65 panel also with a Beosound 35 underneath in my cigar lounge. The background on the walls is ash wood panelling and to my mind it looks terrific. The LG Oled panels are mighty impressive and I will have to swap the BV11-55 in the tv lounge for an Eclipse 65 sooner or later as I want to keep the B&O surround sound.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

I love the fact that you have a cigar lounge, and I don’t smoke.

Page 2 of 2 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS