Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolink 1611 as AudioMaster ?

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

bwel
Not Ranked
Milton Keynes, UK
Posts 20
Bronze Member
bwel Posted: Thu, Dec 6 2018 10:33 PM

Hi all,

I have 2 x Beolink Passives 1657 and Ceiling Speakers in rooms with ML cabling across the house. I moved in to the house and do NOT have a BeoSound for Audio Master. 

I would like to use Spotify in rooms and so have been looking to feed Spotify from an Amazon Echo to distribute to all rooms together.

I have a Beolink Converter 1611 to operate as an Audio Master via the MasterLink to all Beolink Passives 1657. 

• Can anybody advise how I connect to the Aux In, i.e. which pins on the Beolink Converter 1611 ?
  • Will I also need a B&O remote to set this up at all ?  Currently I don’t have any remotes, is there a way to make this work without remote ?

Any advice, diagrams or other would be most appreciated. 

Many thanks

Bob

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Dec 6 2018 10:55 PM

The AUX input to the 1611 is standard - any off-the-shelf connector will do although make sure that the AUX end is the output, rather than input.  See here for details of audio aux link: https://www.beoworld.org/beotech/index.htm

If you want a good quality cable speak to Steve at Sounds Heavenly - the site sponsor at the foot of the page.

Does each room have an IR sensor?  If so, you will need a B&O remote in order to activate the amp and to control the volume (independently in each room that has a 1657).  B&O remotes are quite cheap on eBay nowadays, and either a BL1000 or Beo4 will be fine.  I think that you have to select the 1611 'source' using one of the video buttons, such as TV, DVD etc.

bwel
Not Ranked
Milton Keynes, UK
Posts 20
Bronze Member
bwel replied on Fri, Dec 7 2018 7:02 AM

Many thanks Guy,

I am trying to get it to work, but it’s not. However, I don’t have the Beo4 remote and am trying it with the Logitech Harmony Hub. This can simulate pretty much any remote. 

if I remove the IR Eye, should it play sound anyway ? If so I could try that as part of the diagnosis as to what is not working. 

bwel
Not Ranked
Milton Keynes, UK
Posts 20
Bronze Member
bwel replied on Fri, Dec 7 2018 8:11 AM

UPDATE

I have got it working, but found my main problem was that in my test room, the IR Eye is not responding to Remote Commands from my Harmony Connect Remote. The IR Eye in another room is working perfectly with my Harmony Remote. 

Perhaps I have a partially faulty IR Remote ? It responds to manual presses and adjusted  vole  , switches On/Off etc but does not respond to IR. When I press the remote buttons, the IT lower LED on the Eye does flash in the same way the other room does. 

Any ideas what to do about the IR Eye for this partially working situation ?

Many thanks

Bob

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Dec 7 2018 4:44 PM

Good news that you now have something working!

I was not aware that any of the Harmony remotes could control B&O equipment.  You may not be aware that B&O use a different frequency (455kHz) for their IR transmissions, hence very few other products are able to control them.

However, given that one of the two B&O IR sensors is working, it would seem that the other is faulty.  If it is getting power that is something, but perhaps there is a faulty data connection?  Do the volume buttons on the IR eye work?  Oops - I should read your post!

Let me research another thought and get back to you ...

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Dec 7 2018 4:53 PM

OK, my further thoughts - there could be a problem with the Passive's 'Option Setting' in the 'faulty room'.  It may be set in Option 0, but unfortunately you will need a B&O remote to re-program it!

From the Passive reference manual: (Apologies for the poor formatting)

Option 0: To be used if you

want to disable remote control

operation of the BeoLink

Passive (to re-enable remote

control, select one of the

other options).

Option 4: To be used if you install

the BeoLink Passive in

the same room as your main

system (e.g. in a large Lshaped

living room with two

separate listening positions).

Option 5: To be used if you install

a TV set in the same

room as you BeoLink Passive.

Option 6: To be used for a setup

with your main system in

one room and the BeoLink

Passive in another, as described

in this guide (this is the

factory setting).

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Dec 7 2018 5:04 PM

When I lived in Milton Keynes there was a dealer there - now sadly closed.  You could have nipped round and borrowed a remote!

Perhaps a fellow forum member lives locally and could lend you a remote for testing?  I am pretty sure that there used to be a couple.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Guy and bwel,

In order to work as an "ML driver" (ie. to act as an Audio Master to an ML network), the 1611 converter must be the later type that carries the full type number 1161166 on the sticker.  The converter should not have an IR eye connected to it, but each link room box (ie. Beolink Passive/Active) that is connected to it via Masterlink will need to have a working IR eye connected.

the music source will connect to the Aux socket of the 1161166 converter as Guy suggested and each link room box can then "call through" the audio from the converter.

I would suggest trying to find a Beolink 1000 or Beo4 remote to get everything working, as 3rd party remotes can be quite troublesome in this type of setup.  If you need any help with cables to get everything connected, please feel free to get in touch via my sponsor link at the foot of the page.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

bwel
Not Ranked
Milton Keynes, UK
Posts 20
Bronze Member
bwel replied on Sat, Dec 8 2018 12:15 AM

Many thanks Guy and Steve,

Most of the setup is now working, but the issue remains with one of the Beolink IR Eyes. These are connected to their respective Beolink Passives. 

I find that from one room, the remote will send the input code source (eg TV) back through the Passive, over ML and in to the 1611 Converter to open up the Aux In audio source. Manual presses of the Eye buttons control volume etc once the Source has been switched in.

When I press the Remote Control buttons, the Red led on the Eye Flashes 

For the second room, the Volume and Mute work ok only with manual presses of the IR Eye, but do not work from the IR remote. It seems that the Remote IR is either not recognised by the Eye or that the link from the Eye via the Beolink Passive is not being transmitted back to the 1611 Converter  

When I press the Remote Control buttons, the Red LED on the Eye Does Not Flash like in Room one  

I’m wondering if it’s; a faulty IR Eye, a broken transmission wire to the Passive or perhaps as Guy mentions, a programming issue of the Eye  

Based on my above summary detail of the symptoms., any further ideas  ?

Many thanks

Bob

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
Posts 626
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Sat, Dec 8 2018 6:21 PM

Concerning the second room:

The IR Receiver receives the IR signal and sends it to the Beolink passive /active ...

The device where the IR receiver is connected to, triggers the LED after receiving a valid IR code.

If the keys on the IR receiver create an action, the IR Receiver is probably not receieving a valid signal. This leads me to the dreaded SMD capacitor for the IR receiver chip ( C10, 22µF 10V ).

You could try to swap the IR receivers and see what happens: if the fault moves to the other room it's the IR receiver. If the fault stays in the second room then it could be one (or more problems) in ascending order:

- Cable in the IR receiver (partly) disconnected

- Cable betwwen Beolink passive and IR receiver damaged

- (IR) Cable not properly connected to Beolink passive or plugged into PowerLink connector.

- IR Connection in Beolink passive defect

Ralph-Marcus

bwel
Not Ranked
Milton Keynes, UK
Posts 20
Bronze Member
bwel replied on Sat, Dec 8 2018 10:40 PM

Many thanks Ralph,

Given that the Second Room IR receiver works with manual button presses, but not IR Control, it must be definitely plugged in to the correct DIN on the Passive Amp, 

I can try swapping the IR Receiver over tomorrow with another room. But do you think that it could be the Room Option Coding that was also suggested above ?

I have an Beo4 ordered that arrives in a few days, so can also test that later. 

Many thanks

Bob

L Spad
Top 500 Contributor
Brighton
Posts 271
Bronze Member

Hi Steve, quick question - you mentioned that a newer 1611 version is required: do you know what software versions of the 1611 support its use as an audio Master? I know the B&O part number of the 1611 was 16111611 but I've never seen one with hat printed on the label - only 1611. Perhaps the later version is quite rare?

bwel
Not Ranked
Milton Keynes, UK
Posts 20
Bronze Member
bwel replied on Sun, Dec 9 2018 9:49 AM

Hi Luke,

i think the other version is not the 1611. I can confirm that the one labelled 1611 SW v1.3 works as Audio Master as I have just installed and got it working.

There is one on eBay now ending in 2hr. 

Bang and Olufsen Beolink Converter Type 1611

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323578917496

Regards

Bob

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
Posts 626
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Sun, Dec 9 2018 11:09 AM

Hi Luke,

the version that did not support the AudioMaset Mode was the 1614 Beolink converter.

The 1611 Converter works fine.

Ralph-Marcus

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
Posts 626
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Sun, Dec 9 2018 11:13 AM

Hi,

the Link Option programming is stored in the Beolink passive box. So you could also try to swap them between the two rooms if they are accessible..

Ralph-Marcus

bwel
Not Ranked
Milton Keynes, UK
Posts 20
Bronze Member
bwel replied on Sun, Dec 9 2018 2:03 PM

The Beolink Passives are mounded in the ceiling voids, so not so easy to access. I do have a Beo4 remote arriving on Monday or Tuesday so will try the Option selection first. If that does not work I’ll start the diagnostics on swapping things around and/or continuity checking if the cables.

Thanks for all your advice. 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi bwel,

It is my understanding that only the converters that carry the full type number 1161166 have the correct programming to act as an audio master in an ML system.  This full type number should be printed on the sticker on the converter.  Without this full type number shown, I don't think the converter will work (hopefully someone will correct me if there are other converter versions that can also act as an ML driver?)

If your converter carries this full type number, please let me know and I can confirm the cables required to get everything working.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

bwel
Not Ranked
Milton Keynes, UK
Posts 20
Bronze Member
bwel replied on Mon, Dec 10 2018 4:10 PM

Hi Guy,

Yes, this Options setting for the ‘non working’ Room was the cause of the problem. 

I change the Option setting to 6 and the IR Receiver now responds to remote control commands. 

Thanks everyone one for your help on this one  

Regars

Bob

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Dec 10 2018 5:14 PM

Great news - many thanks for letting us know. 😀

bwel
Not Ranked
Milton Keynes, UK
Posts 20
Bronze Member
bwel replied on Wed, Dec 12 2018 8:43 AM

Does anybody know if you can use 2 Beolink 1611 Converters on ML at the same time configured to identify as separate inputs ?

if so, can each be nominated as a different source, such as Audio or TV ? And how is the programming of identity performed with the Beo4 Remote. 

Many thanks

Bob

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Bob,

No, only one converter can be used on any one ML network.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Fri, Dec 25 2020 5:56 PM

Hi Bob,

does your converter have the same sticker as mine?

I'm just trying to hook my 1611 up to my ML with BV10 and BS/BM5

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS