Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4002 repair and restore

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Tue, Dec 1 2020 8:41 PM

Well...this is embarrassing, after all the measuring of voltages and checking of transistors the problem turned out to be the use of silicone grease on the tonearm lowering linkages and pivots when I originally restored this deck....I thought silicone grease would be a good choice, however the grease had leaked out of the pivot pins and collected on the arms and was creating enough drag to prevent the solenoid pulling in, maybe I just used too much...anyway its all been cleaned away and a light oil applied in its place....everything is now fine....and with a heavy heart the deck is on that well known auction site seeking a new home Sad 

Craig

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Dec 1 2020 9:06 PM

Well, that is good news then. I think it would have been more of a worry if some new, electrical component you installed had failed so soon.

Good luck with your sale and I hope it is to a seller you don't have to ship the turntable to. That is always a risky prospect no matter how careful you try to pack things.

John

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Wed, Dec 2 2020 6:49 AM

Cheers John

I wont be shipping to a buyer.....this equipment is too fragile in my view, I will only part with it in person. I'm not in a hurry to dispose of anything....but feel obliged to try ;¬)

Craig

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 240
Bronze Member

I've never been a vinyl guy, but the sheer beauty of the Beogram 4002 makes me reconsider.  I imagine it must be so very satisfying to play a record on this beautiful old girl.  Well done on the restoration!

Sources: 2x Beosound Moment • 4x Beosound Essence Mk II
Speakers: 3x Beolab 8000 • 2x Beolab 6000 • 2x Beolab 3 • 3x Beolab 2
Integrated:  1x Beosound 2 • 1x Beosound Level • 4x BeoPlay M5 • 1x BeoPlay A6
Control:  16x* Essence Remote  • 1x Beoremote Halo

* Yes, really! 🤦‍♂️

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Craig:

Cheers John

I wont be shipping to a buyer.....this equipment is too fragile in my view, I will only part with it in person. I'm not in a hurry to dispose of anything....but feel obliged to try ;¬)

Craig

They need installation by a suitably qualified person after shipping.  The trouble is that these people are thin on the ground now.

I found this out to my cost when I was selling them, in particular one went to Australia and cost me a fortune to get sorted.

Regards Graham

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Thu, Dec 3 2020 7:36 AM

Graham

Yes I imagine one could run into all kinds of issues when a piece is received damaged or lost when shipped overseas....I dont need that complication in my life ;¬) 

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Craig:

Graham

Yes I imagine one could run into all kinds of issues when a piece is received damaged or lost when shipped overseas....I dont need that complication in my life ;¬) 

It wasn't so much damaged or lost but with the best will in the world and over engineered packaging, sealing and locking, one of the 3 or 4 items in the servo system only has to move a fraction of a millimetre and the system will not function.  Now is when you need your suitably qualified person.

Regards Graham

Page 2 of 2 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS