Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay Remote for macOS (PoC)

rated by 0 users
This post has 41 Replies | 6 Followers

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 26
Bronze Member
tlk Posted: Fri, Aug 9 2019 12:15 PM

Hi there,

I thought it would be nice to be able to remote control my Beoplay M5 speakers from macOS, so I created a little proof-of-concept tool to be able to do just that. The code is available at https://github.com/tlk/beoplay-macos-remote-gui and you need to build the software yourself with the latest XCode beta if you want to try it out.

With this little tool it is no longer necessary to reach out for your phone (and open the B&O app) to adjust the spotify volume or stop/start a tuneIn radio station - just scroll the little volume slider in the mac status menu or use the keyboard shortcuts.

I previously asked for suggestions on how to remote control the Beoplay volume over at Spotify, and it seems like other people have been looking for something similar.

Would it by any chance be possible for B&O to consider making a functionally similar piece of software available through the MacOS Appstore?

Best regards,

Thomas

Screenshot:

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Aug 9 2019 2:24 PM

I love the idea. I use an iMac at work and listen to music over an M5 at work. I dislike using the Deezer app on my mac to stream to the M5 via Airplay. Direct control from my desktop would be ideal.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Fri, Aug 9 2019 7:02 PM

Wow! I want this! Pity I can’t code. :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Fri, Aug 9 2019 7:02 PM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Splendid idea!!!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Nov 6 2019 6:30 PM
tlk:
With this little tool it is no longer necessary to reach out for your phone (and open the B&O app) to adjust the spotify volume or stop/start a tuneIn radio station - just scroll the little volume slider in the mac status menu or use the keyboard shortcuts.

Superb! I was looking for something like this since a while! I'm not a coder, but I understand enough to make it work on my Mac! You made my day, many thanks!

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 26
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Thu, Nov 7 2019 4:31 PM

Great to hear! Thank you for the feedback and screenshot!

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 240
Bronze Member

This is spectacular!

Does anybody know how to write a Windows equivalent?

Sources: 2x Beosound Moment • 4x Beosound Essence Mk II
Speakers: 3x Beolab 8000 • 2x Beolab 6000 • 2x Beolab 3 • 3x Beolab 2
Integrated:  1x Beosound 2 • 1x Beosound Level • 4x BeoPlay M5 • 1x BeoPlay A6
Control:  16x* Essence Remote  • 1x Beoremote Halo

* Yes, really! 🤦‍♂️

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Nov 8 2019 6:47 PM
tlk:

Great to hear! Thank you for the feedback and screenshot!

Your are welcome! Thanks to you I have also found and tried the Home Assistant B&O integration, very interesting !

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 26
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Tue, Dec 10 2019 9:28 PM

beojeff:

I love the idea. I use an iMac at work and listen to music over an M5 at work. I dislike using the Deezer app on my mac to stream to the M5 via Airplay. Direct control from my desktop would be ideal.

The macOS app does not support browsing Deezer playlists, but it does support skipping tracks, adjusting the volume etc when a Deezer playlist has already been "sent" to the B&O device (fx from the iOS app).

My B&O device is listed under https://www.deezer.com/account/apps but not as a device under https://www.deezer.com/account/devices 

I wonder if it is possible to control the Deezer play queue on B&O devices by anything else than the B&O app?

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 26
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Tue, Dec 10 2019 9:40 PM

1990:

I have added some rudimentary notes on how to download the app without having to build it with Xcode. There will be warnings about unknown developer etc as I do not have an Apple Developer Program membership. Also, please keep in mind this is very much still a proof of concept thing.

Best regards,

Thomas

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Tue, Dec 10 2019 9:50 PM
tlk:

Also, please keep in mind this is very much still a proof of concept thing.

A POC that does the job!

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Sep 19 2020 11:31 AM

I though I would revive this thread since it's being discussed in another thread and needs its own thread for discussion.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Sep 19 2020 11:34 AM

I can get this working on my mac. However, there are no sources. Nor is there a TuneIn entry or dropdown list. It would be nice to have a "preferences" option. Also, it's a bit annoying that the window disappears after every click on an entry. It would be nice to keep the window up until we're finished with it.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Sep 19 2020 12:09 PM

beojeff:
I can get this working on my mac. However, there are no sources. Nor is there a TuneIn entry or dropdown list. It would be nice to have a "preferences" option. Also, it's a bit annoying that the window disappears after every click on an entry. It would be nice to keep the window up until we're finished with it.

All the above have been fixed in the latest iteration. Unfortunately the developer has not built a DMG from it so you have to compile it yourself assuming you have installed Xcode previously and that you have basic understanding on how to use it, like I have. 

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Sep 19 2020 12:11 PM

Moved from another thread:

As I’m spending a lot of time on my Mac so I found interesting to be able to perform basic controls of my B&O products from it without the need to always have a remote or a smart device close to me.

I usually launch a music flow with the relevant product/app (Deezer, internet radio, DLNA, B&O app, Deezer app, Plexamp app) against my speaker(s).

Then If I need to perform simple actions against the current music flow going on the speaker(s) such as track/radio pause/play/forward/backward , controlling the volume, starting/joining/stopping another I use the Mac app for that.

This is particularly useful when you have to take a phone call, start/stop a speaker in a room where you plan to move.

While working with the developer, my goal was to have a simple tool for basic actions, like an Essence remote to control multiple products. All credits to the developer for his nice work!

Below are pictures of how the app exposes my products and the controls.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Sep 19 2020 12:30 PM

beojeff:

About the sources: the app is looking for the sources you have defined as local sources in your B&O product

About the TuneIn configuration, you can find information here, as well as for other settings: https://github.com/tlk/beoplay-macos-remote-gui/blob/master/Configuration.md

About the B&O icon: I built it myself and added into the Xcode project.

About the window closing too early: the latest version keeps the window open up to the point you are validating the action for a given product. Prior version had the window closing after each single action e.g. selecting a product was closing the window that you had to reopen to perform the action on the previously selected product. I understand the point of keeping the window open up you decide to close, but according to the developer (if i remember well), this type of popup window cannot cope with that.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

No need to redirect/repost my questions here - I see, that hey have already been answered.

Thanks!

MM

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Sep 19 2020 1:09 PM

mbolo01:

beojeff:

About the sources: the app is looking for the sources you have defined as local sources in your B&O product

About the TuneIn configuration, you can find information here, as well as for other settings: https://github.com/tlk/beoplay-macos-remote-gui/blob/master/Configuration.md

About the B&O icon: I built it myself and added into the Xcode project.

About the window closing too early: the latest version keeps the window open up to the point you are validating the action for a given product. Prior version had the window closing after each single action e.g. selecting a product was closing the window that you had to reopen to perform the action on the previously selected product. I understand the point of keeping the window open up you decide to close, but according to the developer (if i remember well), this type of popup window cannot cope with that.

I was able to get the B&O icon by cut and pasting the code into Terminal. However, the rest is beyond me and I can't understand it.

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

No at home this weekend so can't test it.

Does this software only work with BeoPlay devices or should it also work with my BeoVision 14? Would be very handy to controle the volume of my music through the app!

Karel.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Sep 19 2020 4:49 PM

The developper only had one Beoplay product, I personally tested it successfully against all my products (BS Moment, Core and several Beoplay), but I can't confirm for a BV. Waiting for your experience then !

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Sep 19 2020 7:28 PM
Could initiate TuneIn on my M3.

My A6 did not work.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

mbolo01:

The developper only had one Beoplay product, I personally tested it successfully against all my products (BS Moment, Core and several Beoplay), but I can't confirm for a BV. Waiting for your experience then !

That'll be be something for tomorrow evening :-)

Karel.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

mbolo01:

My V1 and the Avant 1. Gen are both recognized as well.

MM

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Sep 20 2020 2:55 AM
This is very cool, thanks for the development!!!

This is meant to work with all NL devices? Not airplay though?

Do i need to run this from mac or is there some way to do from IOS.

Anyone planning to release an dmg file?
mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Sep 20 2020 10:21 AM
steve1977:

This is very cool, thanks for the development!!!

This is meant to work with all NL devices? Not airplay though?

Do i need to run this from mac or is there some way to do from IOS.

Anyone planning to release an dmg file?

I have tested with several NL products already, only the Moment has some issues with the App.

If you are streaming AP to one NL product, the app can control it too, same controls than the IOS B&O app can do.

It’s only a Mac app

There is a DMG provided by the developer on its GitHub page. PM me if you want more information.

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

Downloaded in on my iMac.

It does find my BeoVision 14. But changing the volume does not work. So I guess it only works for the BeoPlay range of devices.

Karel.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Sep 20 2020 12:20 PM
kuyttendaele:

It does find my BeoVision 14. But changing the volume does not work. So I guess it only works for the BeoPlay range of devices.

Karel.

Now we know Sad

Thanks

Ramasjang
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Bronze Member
Ramasjang replied on Sun, Sep 20 2020 9:36 PM

Hi TLK

Any chance to make your code run on macOS Big Sur?

Thanks.

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 26
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Mon, Sep 21 2020 2:22 PM

Hello there :-)

I am very happy if this little tool proves useful to other people and it is great to see screenshots and get feedback on what works and what does not.

As mbolo01 mentioned I have only tested the app with the M5, so perhaps I should add a disclaimer: using this tool is on your own responsibility - should you believe that your $1mio speakers have caught fire and burned down your castle then please don't come chasing me :-)

Jeff, you mentioned a Preferences window. I agree, it would make a lot of sense to have that. In addition to the current settings that can already be configured from the command line it would also be convenient with a checkbox to allow the program to start automatically as a login item. Currently that has to be done manually under System Preferences, Users & Groups, Login Items:

Millemissen, Hiort and kuyttendaele, thanks for testing!

Steve, I will look into releasing an updated dmg-file. Thank you for the excitement :-) I am not entirely sure what NL means, but basically the macOS app mimics what the official iOS app does. I simply looked at what commands the iOS app is sending to the M5 device and then I wrote some code to do the same. This was my first experience with Xcode/Swift and macOS GUI development so I am sure that experienced macOS developers will throw their arms up in the air in despair when looking at the code :-)

Ramasjang, I have not experienced any problems with the current code on macOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta. Is there anything in particular on your mind? Most welcome to continue this topic over on github #25.

best regards,
  Thomas
Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Sep 21 2020 2:47 PM

kuyttendaele:

Karel.

Beosound Moment: volume, next, back, pause works, sources (including join) not (grayed out).

Beovision 11: no response

Beovision Horizon: no response

Beolink NL/ML converter: does not work (at least in my setup) 

Beosound Essence mkII: volume, next, back, pause, sources works

Beosound Shape ( & Beosound Core): volume, next, back, pause, sources works

Beoplay A6: volume, next, back, pause, sources works

Beoplay M3: volume, next, back, pause, sources works

Beosound 35: volume, next, back, pause, sources works

Beovision Harmony: volume, next, back, pause, sources works

Edit: ones a device is chosen with greyed out sources (such as the Moment), the sources for ALL devices are grayed out and stay so. The app must be restarted to get sources again.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Mon, Sep 21 2020 3:38 PM

Carolpa:
Beosound Moment: volume, next, back, pause works, sources (including join) not (grayed out).

If you didn't notice it already, controlling a Moment with the app triggers high CPU usage on the Mac and the app must closed to recover. At least this is what happens for me with the latest iteration of the code (not the one in the current DMG) 

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Sep 22 2020 7:23 AM

Very nice tool. Thanks for that Thomas!

Can you program this for PCs, too?

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 26
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Wed, Sep 23 2020 3:29 PM

Carolpa and mbolo01 thanks for the feedback! I have checked in a small update that may prevent the bug triggered by connecting to the Moment. Tracking the issue in github #26

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 26
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Wed, Sep 23 2020 3:37 PM

TWG, you are welcome - happy to receive feedback from you. I believe I could make a similar tool for Windows and other platforms but I am afraid it is unlikely to happen pro bono.

best regards,

Thomas

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 240
Bronze Member
laseralex replied on Wed, Sep 23 2020 9:01 PM

tlk:

I could make a similar tool for Windows and other platforms but I am afraid it is unlikely to happen pro bono.

How much would it cost?  I'd be very willing to chip in $250 if others are interested and willing to contribute.

Sources: 2x Beosound Moment • 4x Beosound Essence Mk II
Speakers: 3x Beolab 8000 • 2x Beolab 6000 • 2x Beolab 3 • 3x Beolab 2
Integrated:  1x Beosound 2 • 1x Beosound Level • 4x BeoPlay M5 • 1x BeoPlay A6
Control:  16x* Essence Remote  • 1x Beoremote Halo

* Yes, really! 🤦‍♂️

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Sep 25 2020 9:31 AM

Carolpa:

FYI: The latest version of the code can now properly control the BS Moment, including sources and TuneIn stations ! Better than the Halo can do :-)

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, Sep 25 2020 12:39 PM

mbolo01:
Carolpa:

FYI: The latest version of the code can now properly control the BS Moment, including sources and TuneIn stations ! Better than the Halo can do :-)

I noticed yesterday but didn't find the time to Thumbs Up, in my setup only the BV11 and the BLC can't be controlled (but the shared sources of a ML product with a NL product, f.e. a Essence mkII do work)

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Oct 9 2020 10:35 AM

I'm curious what the obstacle is that prevents control of BeoVisions/BeoSystem 4 and Nl/ML Converters -- since the Halo cannot control these either.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Dec 7 2020 4:20 PM

"Program Killer"; just setup my new Mac Mini with Apple's M1 processor.

Now the B&o app and the Beoliving app can be run on the Mac itself Big Smile

Page 1 of 2 (42 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS