Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovision 5-42 upgrade/replace screen

rated by 0 users
This post has 48 Replies | 6 Followers

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
HHvitman Posted: Tue, Apr 14 2020 4:23 PM

Hello! 

I’m recently bought a used Beovision 5-42. Really like the design and sound! Wow! Using a ATV4 with HDMI/Scart converter. Works great.

I have read that some have replaced/upgraded the screen into full HD/4k.

Has anyone in here done that?

Basicly put a 42” tv Into the BV5 frame and use connections (HDMI) from that TV instead and connect output sound from that tv into BV5 speakers. Sounds easy I know.. 😂

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Tue, Apr 14 2020 6:23 PM

He did it:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/29233/233161.aspx

I am planning to do the same. Currently looking for a good 42" second hand donor.

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
HHvitman replied on Tue, Apr 14 2020 7:33 PM

Hi! 

Yes, I have read that topic, impressive! I sent an email to him but that email wasn’t used anymore. Therefore I started this thread hopeing maybe someone else also had done this! 

please let me know how you did it if manage this replacement!

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Tue, Apr 14 2020 8:18 PM

Hi

Sure... Will keep you posted.

The plan is to connect the BV5 chassis VGA to the new TV. That will allow access to the BV5 native menu.

Connect RCA audio out of the new TV to all scart inputs of the BV5 chassis.

Control the new TV via Lintronic (Got that device already).

Pressing 'DTV' can then turn on the new TV and the BV5 chassis and pass the audio via e.g scart socket AV1.

That way I will maintain full Beo4 control and not loose any B&O look/feel and features (like stand operation).

Will keep you posted.... Hopefully I got some 'news' in a few weeks from now.

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
HHvitman replied on Tue, Apr 14 2020 11:15 PM

Thanks for the information!! I Don’t have VGA port on my BV5 thou.

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Tue, Apr 21 2020 4:19 PM

Hi,

inside the BV5 there should be a VGA socket connecting the chassis (motherboard of the BV 5) to the Panasonic Plasma screen. You can't see it on the outside.

I have now bought/got the parts.

A second hand LG with DVB-T2 tuner (that's what I need)

A second hand Lintronics tt455-rt-238

And I've made a special cable which will send the audio from the LG TV to two of the BV5 scart sockets.

Total investment so far is approx. 100€

The Lintronic is programmed and tested. Next step is taking the BV5 apart and do the final prove-of-concept.

Hopefully this weekend.

Will keep you posted.

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
HHvitman replied on Tue, Apr 21 2020 5:34 PM

Wow! Nice! Looking forward to see the result! 😀 just some questions to get the hole picture, quite novice... :)

So the linktronic, as I understand this enable you to power on the speaker amplifier and/or reach the bv5 menu with beo4 remote?

Do you connect the linktronic VGA to the BV5 VGA or?

if so, how do you get to see the bv5 menu on the LG tv?

Why do you need to connect sound from LG to 2x scart? Why not just one?

In my case, I only want to power on/off the speaker amplifier and control volume with beo4.

sorry, but some pictures during the procedure would be reeeeallly appreciated!!

good luck!!

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
HHvitman replied on Tue, Apr 21 2020 5:37 PM

Sorry, read your post above again. Bv5 VGA to new TV.

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Tue, Apr 21 2020 6:06 PM

Hi,

the Lintronic will receive B&O infrared codes from the remote control and send the proper LG code to the TV.

The reason for the RCA/Phone >> Dual SCART is the following.

Pressing Beo4 "TV":

- Will turn on the BV5 (which does not know its got a new screen). The BV5 TV tuner will turn on

- Lintronic will turn on the LG TV and switch to the VGA input.

Result: I will be able to get the native TV menu for connections, stand setting etc. on the screen and change them if needed.

Pressing Beo4 "DTV"

- BV5 will switch to Scart socket AV2. It will only receive sound from the LG. 

- Lintronic will switch to its build in TV tuner as source.

Result: Volume Up/Down will be handled by the BV5.  Lintronic will handle all needed IR commands to control the LG TV

Pressing Beo4 "V.TAPE"

- BV5 will switch to Scart socket AV3. It will only receive sound from LG (that is the reason for RCA >> dual Scart)

- Lintronic will switch to LG HDMI 1.

Result: A raspberry pi with KODI media center is connected to HDMI 1. Volume Up/Down will be handled by the BV5

Pressing Beo4 "DVD"

- BV5 will switch to Scart socket AV1. It will operate a Beocenter 2 (with DVD) via masterlink / scart

- Lintronic will switch LG to VGA to receive the native picture from the BV5. Just like the Panasonic plasma screen would have.

Result: Hopefully a decent picture via VGA..... If not... I might connect the Beocenter Scart to the LG Scart and reprogramme the Lintronic to select that socket instead.... We'll see.

In theory... that should work... Hopefully I will know by end this week.

I also need a way to get access to the CI+ slot of the LG TV. So I might have to cut a hole in the BV5 chassis.

Keep you posted.

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
HHvitman replied on Tue, Apr 21 2020 6:54 PM

OK, I see! Interesting!!

From my perspective

I will only use Apple TV as a video/audio source, maybe playstation also.. only HDMI sources thou.

My plan/thoughts:

-Connect Bv5 VGA to new TV VGA (to reach Bv5 sound menu only)

-Output sound from new TV to BV5 scart AV2

My intended usage:

-Press SAT Beo4, BV5 turn on AV2, power on spk amp, volume to be changed by beo4

With New tv remote, 

-press ON to turn on screen. 

-Select source between HDMI and PC/VGA (Bv5 menu)

-adjust picture settings

Apple TV remote Will be used mainly..

This would be fine by me if it works! Its ok for me to use the new tv remote for features.

Do you think I need a linktronic than?

I guess you plan to remove the new screen and inputs from its chassie? or will you basicly try to fit the complete tv into the Bv5? Maybe IR on new tv needs to be moved than.. 😂

How do you plan to do with power for the new panel?

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Tue, Apr 21 2020 9:07 PM

Hi

The front of the LG is completely flat. So I hope it will fit without further changes.

I will try to cut a hole in the back of the speaker cover to allow infra red to pass through. The Lintronic will be placed behind that hole to receive (from Beo4) and transmit (to LG).

I will get a power strip inside the BV5 cabinet to supply TV, Lintronic, Raspberry etc. 

You don't 'need' the Lintronic, but I am a fan of it, and it will keep the Cool-Factor of B&O intact.

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
HHvitman replied on Tue, Apr 21 2020 10:15 PM

Hi!

Great! 

I found this, could be helpful removing the frame and the panel on the bv5, especially in the end of pdf!

http://www.abo-center.dk/Abo_center_2/reptips/diagrammer/Beovision/BeoVision%205%2042%20EU%20Type%20890x%20From%2016391203.pdf

do you have any other illustrations?

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Sat, Apr 25 2020 9:35 AM

DONE ! 

Upgrade to Full HD panel was a success

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Sat, Apr 25 2020 9:50 AM

Frame removed. Followed instruction in service manual. Pull off at the B&O logo first. Remove ground cable from frame. Pull of the frame.

Removed speaker cover.

Inside the BV5.

4 bolts in the back. See service manual.

2 bolts in the front. See service manual.

Out goes the plasma screen... It is HEAVY... I put a table just in front of the BV5. It's heavy and cables are short (power, serial, vga). Not a one-man-job..

Screen is out.

Drilled a hole in the back allowing new cables in the cabinet.

Lintronic in place. New brackets will keep new LED in correct position.

Preparing…..

LG has moved in.

Back cover was removed from the inside. Screws will not go back in. Now there is easy access to the cabinet. The back cover can simply be pulled up/lout and put back in again.

More beautiful than ever. The panel is now BLACK. Not greenish or greyish… Matching the speaker cover. 

Upgrade to full HD panel is a success. Full Beo4 operation thanks to Lintronic.

However... I do currently not have access to the legacy BV5 menu. The new LG does not understand the signal coming from the VGA cable in the BV chassis. Will have to look more into that later...

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

Wow, this is amazing. This is the best upgrade project I have ever seen in my life! The most iconic beovision design IMHO now upgraded to 4K. I don’t believe the new 4K TVs can accept a VGA signal. The black LED looks much better than the old plasma, plus the glare is less. Congrats!

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • BMW X5 50i with B&O Audio Package (Commute/drive)

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
HHvitman replied on Sat, Apr 25 2020 4:52 PM

Wow!!! You did it! 💪💪 Impressive! Congrats to your new upgraded BV5! Also a great instruction!

regarding the VGA output, couldn’t you test with a VGA/RCA or VGA/HDMI converter?

Great inspiration! 

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
HHvitman replied on Sat, Apr 25 2020 5:17 PM

The power suply cable you loosend from the panel, does it feed both the panel and the speaker amp (Y-Cable) Or how do did you solve power to the amp?

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Sat, Apr 25 2020 8:02 PM

I'll do some more tests with VGA later. It's in our summer house so I don't have extra adapters or monitors around. So I'll have to get back to that later. It's also a kind of 'nice to have' , as I only need it, in case I need to change anything in the BV5 menu such as stand configuration or connections. So if a standard VGA PC Monitor ist happy with the signal I don't mind to connect that when needed.

The power cable was only supplying the plasma panel. I can trace it back to the BV5 chassis/main board. 

I decided not to attemp to reuse it as power source for the LG TV. 

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
HHvitman replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 5:43 PM

Hello! 

Do you still have the old panel? What dimensions does it have? Width/height.. looking for a donor tv but was curious about the dimensions..

See a risk buying a tv with too thick framme, especially at the bottom.. Can you measure the old panel from the bottom up to the lower edge of the screen?

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 11:23 PM

Hi,

Still have it. But it's in our summer house / cottage so I wont get there until a week or two from now.

You don't need the dimensions of the old panel. Because it is not resting directly on the cabinet. It is resting on the two bolts you remove from inside the cabinet. With these bolts you can adjust the position of the Panasonic panel. 

So you actually have at least 1 cm. more than the frame height of the Panasonic panel.

But we can do some reverse engineering. I put a LG42LS560T in there. I put two small blocks of rubber beneath it to rest on. The rubber was approx 1 cm. thick.

That positioned the LED panel 3-5 mm. below the speaker cover. The aluminium frame will also cover approx 3-5 mm left/right/top.

If you look at some pictures of the LG you get an impression of the space you'll need. 

If you go for a max. 5 year old donor I doubt you'll have issues.

On the other hand. It will take you 2 minutes to remove the Aluminium Frame of your own BV5 and 2 minutes to remove the speaker cover. That will give you the possibility to measure...

HHvitman
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
HHvitman replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 11:41 PM

Hi!

Ok, I see! Great! Thank you for your really good input in this topic! I really appreciate it!! ☺️ 

emabonacchi
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member

Ok, but in this way you have lost surround-mode?.....

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Wed, Jun 3 2020 11:38 PM

Since I currently use stereo output from the LG and feed it via Scart... yes - I loose surround sound.

I don't have any other speakers connected, so in my case that is just fine.

But if you want surround sound, you just have to take the digital output from the 'donor TV' and connect it to the digital inputs of the BV5.

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Sun, Jul 26 2020 6:35 PM

Quick update.

I now use the BeoVision 5 build in IR eye to control the Lintronic box rather than adding an additional IR eye.

The build in IR eye has a flat cable connected.

If we define the red wire as #1 the 6 wires are:

1 (red): data

2: ground

3: +5v

4: light sensor

5 and 6: +5v for red and green LED

Thanks to emabonacchi for providing this information.

Teyelvis
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Bronze Member
Teyelvis replied on Thu, Sep 17 2020 11:54 AM

Great work. Can I ask if this upgrade is only installing a new lg42 led display replacing the old plasma? Is there any control of the original surround sound and stand control? 

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Thu, Sep 17 2020 6:27 PM

Read the post from start to end. All steps are described.

Except for the Panasonic screen the electronics are intact. So stand, amplifier, speakers, masterlink, surround sounds, etc. work as before.

The lintronic box + LG TV is besides some cables the only things added.

Works perfect.

However, make sure you've done all the configuration in the legacy menu off the BV5 before you start. To get to this menu later you need a monitor supporting 575P RGB HV via the vga cable originally connected to the plasma.

MartinWVogt
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member

Hello, I have have BV 5 and I’m excited to see that post. I tried online to find LG42 panels but no luck. 
since I’m not super technical how would future connections look like? I currently go through a component port.
would the panel be connected through an HDMI port from an Apple TV? And would the sound go from the panel back into the BV5?
thank you 

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Sun, Jan 31 2021 10:56 PM

Hi,

you don’t have to get a LG. Any modern, slim, thin frame 42” TV should fit into the BV5 cabinet. As a start take off the front aluminum frame of the BV5 to get an impression of how much room you’ll have to play with.

You will use the input(s) of that TV for everything you plan to connect (HDMI I presume)

Sound is send back to the intact ‘chassis’ of the BV5 via the scart sockets. See image on page 1.

If you don’t plan to invest in a lintronic box you’ll have to find a way to allow your new display/TV to receive the IR remote signal.

MartinWVogt
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member

Hi, thank you for your reply. What lintronic box would I need to get, I see them for sale online in Denmark? Also, I could not locate the picture w the scart, but my BV does not have a scart I believe 

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Mon, Feb 1 2021 3:36 PM

Hi,

I am referring to the picture below. I made a cable with RCA to dual SCART. This allows to get analogue audio from the new TV/Panel and provide the input to the AV scart and the V.TAPE scart of the BV5.

If your BV5 does not have any scart sockets I assume it's not a European version. I assume you'll have other connections for AV, V.TAPE and DVD. If they are RCA sockets it makes life easier. No soldering will be required.

I use the TT455-RT-238 from Lintronic. I soldered a minijack cable, which is plugged into the TT455-RT-238, to the original IR eye of the BV5. Only ground and signal. Do not solder power. It will get the power from the BV chassis. Some technical flair is needed to configure the TT455-RT-238.

You could make a test with any TV and make all the connections to the BV5. Check if it behaves as you’d expect. Changing source, volume etc. etc.

Before taking the BV5 apart. Remember to setup stand position, connections and other stuff in the MENU before removing the original panel. You’ll lose access to this menu unless the new TV will accept the VGA signal from the BV5 chassis. I got access to the internal VGA cable and I kept the original panel. If I should ever need to access the menu it will be possible.

MartinWVogt
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member

Hi, thanks again for the reply. My BV-5 is a U.S. version with a component input. I have a digital audio input for TV/SAT, etc. So basically the eye connect to the Lintronic box and the box controls the TV? What about other functions for CD, Radio, etc.? Is the Lintronic box connected to the BV-5 somehow? I currently use an Apple TV on the BV-5 as well as a BeoCenter. Thank you so much

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Mon, Feb 1 2021 11:52 PM

Hi,

The BV eye (top right corner) has a cable running to the BV5 main board. You just solder two wires to the eye and the Lintronic will 'listen' to the commands received by the eye.

You will then programme the Lintronic to send LG/Sony/Samsung commands to the TV.

When I press DTV (SAT) on my Beo4 the BV5 activates the AV Scart input and receives audio from there. At the same time the build in Lintronic turns on the LG TV. 

So I still have full B&O look/feel.

My BV5 is connected via masterlink to a Beocenter 2. This still works as the BV5 chassis is untouched. So pressing CD or Radio still starts the audio product and plays via the BV5 speakers.

MartinWVogt
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member

Hi, thank you. So, I would need to find a TV from Sony etc 42 with audio output digital. I would need to connect aux out from the TV to the digital in of  DTV in back of the TV. I’m having trouble finding a 42 TV, it seems all has gone to 43. So the eye will still connect to other functions of the BV-5: for example if in DTV mode will it still control my appple TV through the Ctrl port cable? Thanks

henrybird
Not Ranked
Posts 1

Where you can find issues to gain experience on that you have been looking for true blog articles.

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Tue, Feb 2 2021 9:07 AM

Hi,

I got a secondhand TV for my build.

I do not have experience with digital audio input of the BV5. I guess your BV5 has both digital (coaxial) and analogue (2xPhono/RCA) for DTV/SAT. 

PUC control will still work. But since the ATV will be connected to the new TV via HDMI I suppose you can control it via CEC over HDMI as well. I don't know ATV's. Never used them.

Stoobietoo
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
Posts 692
Gold Member
Stoobietoo replied on Sun, Aug 29 2021 11:51 AM

Ravsted:

Hi,

The BV eye (top right corner) has a cable running to the BV5 main board. You just solder two wires to the eye and the Lintronic will 'listen' to the commands received by the eye.

Hi Ravsted,

I am getting together all the components to help a friend replace his screen. I have bought the Lintronic Box, 43inch TV and most of the cables. At the moment I am looking for a the B&O IR eye but see you managed to get the BV5 eye to connect to the Lintronic Box. Was that a fairly straightforward job. I have soldered a couple of things.

As the TV isnt here, I can't take a look. Is it easy to get to the connections on the eye. Are you able to describe or draw roughly what is on the back if the BV5 eye. I assume you just need a long 2 wire cable with a phono plug on one end.

Thank you Stoobie

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Sun, Aug 29 2021 7:11 PM

Hi,

it is very much straight forward.

There is a flat cable going to the circuit board of the ir eye. See photo below. Remove two screws and the eye can be removed along with a small circuit board. I took a stereo minijack cable - cut one end - and soldered the proper wires directly to the circuit board where the flat cable is soldered already.

If we define the red wire as #1 the 6 wires are:

1 (red): data

2: ground

3: +5v

4: light sensor

5 and 6: +5v for red and green LED

Thanks to emabonacchi for providing this information.

So you only need the #1 and #2 wire

Please provide feedback regarding using a 43" TV rather than 42". I have promised a friend (who already got the BV5) to replace the panel in his TV. It's a lot easier to find a new 43" TV these days.

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Sun, Aug 29 2021 7:28 PM

This is the Lintronic documentation for HW5:

Page 1 of 2 (49 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS