Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 3300 filter caps.

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

kohaar
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
kohaar Posted: Mon, Dec 7 2020 10:26 AM

I'm recapping my beomaster 3300 but I have a problem with the two filter caps I hope you guys can help me with. 

The caps aren't marked well, but my assumption was that the darker side was the negative. This would mean however that the connection is red wire to negative, positive to negative, and then blue to positive the other cap. 

I would normally assume red would go to positive, but it could be that I'm mistaken or that I'm mistaken in the polarity on the original caps. 

Any of you know the correct way to connect them? 

Also a suggestion on replacement caps would be good. I have two regular 105c Vishay caps, but should I try find something better? 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Dec 8 2020 6:50 AM

Red is positive.
Blue is negative.
The caps common joint is ground (negative pin from the cap with the red lead on positive and positive pin from the cap with the blue lead).

Martin

kohaar
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
kohaar replied on Tue, Dec 8 2020 9:09 AM

Hi

Thank you for your reply. Yes the red positive was my understanding as well, why I found it odd it was connected to negative on the first cap. 

Just so I understand you correct. The caps are seriel connected, so the order would be this: 

Cap1: Red Wire -> Negative Pin, Black Wire -> Positive Pin

Cap2: Cap1 Positive Pin -> Negative Pin, Blue Wire -> Positive Pin

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Dec 8 2020 9:34 AM

No.
It's a positive (red) and a negative (blue) supply with a common ground (black).

Cap 1 Positive terminal RED
Cap 1 Negative terminal BLACK and also connected to Cap 2 Positive terminal
Cap 2 Negative terminal BLUE

Look at the schematics!

Martin

kohaar
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
kohaar replied on Tue, Dec 8 2020 9:59 AM

Yes, I did and, that is why I wrote here, cause if you see on the pictures that is not how it's actually connected originally. Unless the caps are marked opposite of normal caps? Marking on positive instead of negative?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Dec 8 2020 10:08 AM

You can trust how they were mounted from factory.
If in doubt put a voltmeter on.

Martin

kohaar
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
kohaar replied on Tue, Dec 8 2020 10:17 AM

I will, and I'm pretty sure red is indeed positive. But I'm afraid I don't know of a way to measure polarity on a capacitor, so should I assume that the polarity is marked with positive on the original caps, unlike what you would normally expect of modern caps where negative is marked? 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS