Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What Are You Working On Now

This post has 1,308 Replies | 20 Followers

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 5:32 PM

Søren Mexico:

I hate that felt stuff in there.

Not to mention that there was glue all over the crossover so it was stuck to everything.

It would have taken forever and a lot of elbow grease to remove it all so I didnt bother.

Instead I cut out the old caps tight leaving the  wire leads behind. I then spooled the wire leads of the new caps around the old wire leads ,added flux,and laid the solder down thick.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

The Dickster:

Søren Mexico:

I hate that felt stuff in there.

Not to mention that there was glue all over the crossover so it was stuck to everything.

It would have taken forever and a lot of elbow grease to remove it all so I didnt bother.

Instead I cut out the old caps tight leaving the  wire leads behind. I then spooled the wire leads of the new caps around the old wire leads ,added flux,and laid the solder down thick.

My first crossovers I desoldered all the caps and then resoldered it all, now I just cut off the the old ones close to the board and solder the new ones to the old solder unions.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 6:01 PM

I wasted a lot of time and money on fancy resistors and foil caps early on but I have since learned they dont really improve the sound as opposed to standard electros.

At least my ears cant tell any difference.

Pretty much the same has panned out recapping Beomasters. I am done shopping  the boutiques caps for the most part.

I like my RK Fuji's just fine

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member

Refoaming some speakers.

//Bo.
A long list...

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Bos00:

Refoaming some speakers.

Looks more like a Bean canning factoryBig Smile, good special tools, and then enjoy the beans while you test the speakers.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

The Dickster:

I wasted a lot of time and money on fancy resistors and foil caps early on but I have since learned they dont really improve the sound as opposed to standard electros.

At least my ears cant tell any difference.

Pretty much the same has panned out recapping Beomasters. I am done shopping  the boutiques caps for the most part.

I like my RK Fuji's just fine

Same here, using Nichicon or Panasonic, will look for Fuji nex time.

Ƨcɑɽɑɱɑnɡɑ
Top 10 Contributor
Khao Phing Kan
Posts 6,662
Bronze Member

Just stopping by to say hello.

No projects whatsoever for a long time now -just been enjoying!

• One B&o bottle opener
  • One fancy gun
beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 7:20 PM

ɓʋɾɑɳɫɘɮ:

As much as I like this stuff I leave it to the professionals. Wink

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

Fully desoldered Beovox P30 drivers and crossover inductors, awaiting boutique capacitors and resistors.  :-P

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 7:43 PM

beocool:

ɓʋɾɑɳɫɘɮ:

As much as I like this stuff I leave it to the professionals. Wink

Me, too, now, except the loudspeakers.  They're easy.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 7:44 PM

ɓʋɾɑɳɫɘɮ:

Hello back.  WedThred on Sunday?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Rich:

Fully desoldered Beovox P30 drivers and crossover inductors, awaiting boutique capacitors and resistors.  :-P

Do you hear the difference with expensive caps. My hearing is shot, after many years in the print shops.

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:

Rich:

Do you hear the difference with expensive caps. My hearing is shot, after many years in the print shops.

I know mines shot from all the sex, drugs and rock n roll played very loudly.

Here are my P30's all recapped, new fabric and hooked up to. you guessed it.  a Beomaster 2400 type 1 single chip 32 step volume control model. If you will notice I have mine at mid wall height or "ear level" mounted sideways angled to the rooms center.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 10:05 PM
I noticed some increased cracking sound from the right C75 speaker in my link room (bathroom) recently. I feared damage to my woofer because it seemed to happen with each strong bass note, although I was not driving the very hard. I went right up to the speaker and could clearly hear a static sound and thought the worst. I checked the speaker connections and found they seemed fine. I was able to move the woofer without any undue sound, and it's the bottom one with the rubber surround, so all seemed well. I loosened the screws and the internal connections seemed fine.

Then I realized I installed the 2041 box myself, so what I'd I had a loose speaker wire at the box? I installed the box during one of the hottest, most humid days of summer, and I remember a high level of frustration making the connections. Did the "wire pull test" with my needle nose pliers and sure enough, the green wires were loose. Wait, that's an understatement, they were just barely in contact with each other and the terminal. I fixed it by cutting, stripping, and tinning the wires before pushing each one individually into the terminal strip and tightening the screw. Apparently, I tried to just get it done last time, and in my haste, only had a single strand make contact, which had since let go.

Do it right the first time and you won't have to redo it later. Anyway, now not only is the connection correct, but I swear the sound is better than ever. Especially the bass. Maybe one less thing to worry about.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 1:18 AM

Søren Mexico:

Rich:

S45-2s:  Martin's kit capacitors, left resistors alone, replaced damping material

S40s:  Used Solen capacitors, left resistors alone, replaced damping material

M70s:  Used Solen capacitors, replaced resistors, replaced damping material but went back to original damping material

C50s:  Used Solen capacitors, left everything else alone

All sound great.  I think the sound of the S45-2s is improved with the new damping material, but putting the original damping material back in the M70s made them sound better.  It's a matter of personal taste, probably.

I have never done a critical listening test between poly and electrolytic capacitors (new).  I can tell you that changing the capacitors on the S45-2s was the difference between a working speaker and a speaker "with a bad midrange."  Needing to fix that S45-2 led me to this site and the dreaded Beovirus.  But it wasn't until I refoamed my S40s that I was truly hooked.

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 2:14 AM

Rich:

Søren Mexico:

Rich:

S45-2s:  Martin's kit capacitors, left resistors alone, replaced damping material

S40s:  Used Solen capacitors, left resistors alone, replaced damping material

M70s:  Used Solen capacitors, replaced resistors, replaced damping material but went back to original damping material

C50s:  Used Solen capacitors, left everything else alone

All sound great.  I think the sound of the S45-2s is improved with the new damping material, but putting the original damping material back in the M70s made them sound better.  It's a matter of personal taste, probably.

I have never done a critical listening test between poly and electrolytic capacitors (new).  I can tell you that changing the capacitors on the S45-2s was the difference between a working speaker and a speaker "with a bad midrange."  Needing to fix that S45-2 led me to this site and the dreaded Beovirus.  But it wasn't until I refoamed my S40s that I was truly hooked.

Ok

I used Dayton Audio caps and resistors on one set of S45 and then standard electros without new resistors on another set of S45 both were the 3 way speaker. Couldnt tell a bit of difference between the two.

What I will say is that it really doesnt matter whether you use foil caps or electros or opt for new resistors. The benefits in improved sound quality after the 30 plus year old caps are replaced can be enormous. It is a win win situation no matter what choice of capacitor you make

I noticed a distinct improvement in overall clarity on the P30's once they were done. I have a 20 plus year old Cona to do next. I used NTE 100V Bipolar 4.7 .7.5 and 15 - not a single replacement cap was original spec

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I dont think the calues of the caps are that important, 30 years ago a very good cap were + - 10 %, those originals were probably 20 %, so not getting the exact size is not that important. And if one find the org. sizes they are mostly expensive.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 12:45 AM
Finished the P30s Monday. Sounded pretty good in the 4000 system in the dining room, but not so great in the garage 1900 system with initial placement on the wall where S40s were. I will experiment with placement this weekend and post a picture or two. (Otherwise it didn't happen.)

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 12:33 PM

Lazy? Me? Nooo.....

Actually I  found  quite pleasant to work this way, elements are steady and level all time.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

File this under "Pictures Or It Didn't Happen":  Beovox P30 added to Beosystem 1900 in the garage.  Listened to two cassettes this morning:  Bonnie Raitt Nick of Time and Bruce Springsteen Born in the USA.  The P30s sound fine in their present location, so maybe the experimentation with placement will wait until another time.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Rich:
The P30s sound fine in their present location, so maybe the experimentation with placement will wait until another time.

I think the wall you hang them on has to have a good sound reflection capability, the wall they are hanging on looks kind of soft and perforated, you should try on a hard wall, painted gypsum or concrete, I have my P45s against a concrete wall, and just moving them 2" away from the wall, flaws the sound.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 3:22 PM

Søren Mexico:

Rich:
The P30s sound fine in their present location, so maybe the experimentation with placement will wait until another time.

I think the wall you hang them on has to have a good sound reflection capability, the wall they are hanging on looks kind of soft and perforated, you should try on a hard wall, painted gypsum or concrete, I have my P45s against a concrete wall, and just moving them 2" away from the wall, flaws the sound.

There is exactly one place in the garage they can hang without rearranging the entire garage:  where they currently are.  Entire house is wood frame construction.

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member

Orava:

Lazy? Me? Nooo.....

Actually I  found  quite pleasant to work this way, elements are steady and level all time.

Plus you get to eat the Yogurt first and it is really good for you.

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 12:51 PM

Inside tuning indicator....

And guess what! There is a loose magnet! Hmmm, little more challenging than speaker magnets...

It is not B&O but BM3000 family and BM5000 looks to have similar.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 12:56 PM

Well I for one have always failed at repairing galvanometers with loose magnets (typically, Revox and Uher). Good luck with this one !

Jacques

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 3:06 PM

Playing with string - check it out an AM radio antenna DIN. Something you dont see very often

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 5:20 PM

chartz:

Well I for one have always failed at repairing galvanometers with loose magnets (typically, Revox and Uher). Good luck with this one !

Decided to try without dismantling thing, centering (shimming:)) magnet and glueing.

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member

Stuff in progress.Smile

//Bo.
A long list...

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 7:41 PM

Replaced the idler tire of a "non-working" Nakamichi BX-300 cassette deck today.  Bought the deck for $50, got the idler tire for $10, spent an hour on her, and now she works quite well.  Definitely the best deck I own, but I'm looking for a BC9000 or BC8004!

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:06 AM

Not nice...

Gentle moisturing...

Vacuuming with some adapters... (1200W and these are rated for 60W Surprise)  Slurps.

Well, allmost perfect. Would be better if I haven't try with a needle first.

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

Whistle

Double decks. Double fun. Spring cleaning and recapping time!

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 3:03 AM

BO:
Stuff in progress.Smile

Is that a Yamaha R-7 I spy on the shelf?!?

Beo4 'til I die!

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 10:10 AM

Evan:

BO:
Stuff in progress.Smile

Is that a Yamaha R-7 I spy on the shelf?!?

Well quite a good guess but not right on. It's an RX-450 which i bought brand new in 1988. A quite good sounding receiver.

It does look quite similar to the R-7.

//Bo.
A long list...

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 3:42 PM
bos00:

Well quite a good guess but not right on. It's an RX-450 which i bought brand new in 1988. A quite good sounding receiver.

It does look quite similar to the R-7.

//Bo BC9500, BG 9500, Beolab Penta II, Beovox Penta, BL 1000, BL 7000, BL 1000, Beo4, MCP 6500, . Beomaster 901, Beomaster 3000, Beotalk 1100, Beotalk 1200, Beotalk 4000, Beocom 5000. Beovox 1500, Beovox 3000, Beocenter 2300, Beocenter 4000, Beogram RX2, Beosound Ouverture.

Darn. I had a feeling I would be wrong... There are so so many Yams from that era.

My first receiver was my father's R-7, also from that age.

I don't doubt for a second that it sounds anything other than great :-)

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:45 PM

Exporting this solid model to a 3D printer shortly... Anyone wanna guess what it is?

Beo4 'til I die!

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

That's exactly what I need - about a dozen of them - end-stoppers for the metal curtain rods! Very nice styling. Laughing

Actually I have another project idea, which could be sold as spare parts for a certain BeoMaster - l'll be in touch!

Menahem

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 7:33 PM

Menahem Yachad:

Actually I have another project idea, which could be sold as spare parts for a certain BeoMaster - l'll be in touch!

Menahem

The plastic cd clamper for Beocenter 9000? I buy one! Or seven.

/***

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 9:18 PM

Menahem Yachad:

That's exactly what I need - about a dozen of them - end-stoppers for the metal curtain rods! Very nice styling. Laughing

Menahem

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Well if your hanging curtains you might be interested in this new and improved buttressed version! Stick out tongue

Looking forward to your next challenge!!!!

Beo4 'til I die!

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 6:47 AM

tamtapir:

/***

Whole winter I were thinking to do it, but.... Havent get to it yet.

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 1:22 PM
tamtapir:

/***

If you can get me an accurate drawing or send me an original part I can try and reproduce it.

Beo4 'til I die!

Page 17 of 33 (1309 items) « First ... < Previous 15 16 17 18 19 Next > ... Last » | RSS