Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 5500 stopped mid-play, tonearm also stuck.

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

jacobyte
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
jacobyte Posted: Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:37 PM

Evening all,

What might the problem be on my Beogram 5500...?

Here's a summary of what's happening:

The turntable was going fine, then it just stopped, but I could still hear the motor whirring quietly. I pressed the red dot button to return the tonearm to its off position, but it didn't budge - it's stayed exactly where it was when the record stopped playing and I can't move it by hand or with the little < > arrows.

I carefully opened the top (which was difficult as the tonearm is stuck halfway along - I had to detach the small white cable through a small gap to enable moving it enough to fit through the housing when lifting the housing).

The buttons clearly work - I can press 33 and 45 and they register on the indicator arm (although there is no movement in the arm or turntable) and pressing Play and red dot also appear to make brief electrical noises inside.

The motor that drives the large belt is slipping inside the belt as the turntable is stuck, but the motor continues to spin in the same way when everything is on standby (pressing 45/33/45 makes the motor spin faster/slower/faster as expected whilst the turntable remains still).

All the belts are in place, nothing appears to be broken visually, so something electrical may have died.

Thanks in advance.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:10 PM

Welcome to Beoworld !

Does the platter rotate or has it become stuck too ?

Martin

jacobyte
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
jacobyte replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:54 PM

The circular turntable "frame" will not budge, I don't want to push too firmly in case I break something. I can slide the thin aluminium platter around on top of it by hand.

jacobyte
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
jacobyte replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 9:56 PM

Dillen:

Welcome to Beoworld !

Thanks - I actually joined in 2003-ish, but not been on here for a few years!

jozo
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
jozo replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:27 AM

As of today, my Beogram 5500 has exactly the same problem.

I was wondering if there is already a solution to the problem?

Thanks,

Job

Stan81
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Stan81 replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 9:02 PM

I am reading here for a few weeks and got my 5500 set two weeks ago. Since this evenng my Beogram had exactly the same troubles. I post my question also in the Dutch corner. Is there someody here who have had the same troules and fixxed it?

Thanks for any reaction!

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS