Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 9000 custom discs art…

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 Posted: Fri, Jun 26 2020 4:34 PM

Hi guys,

I'm preparing customs disc for my Beosound 9000 and I wanted to share if anyone has ideas or comments…

You mights already have seen the original set from the stores and the custom Late Night Tales discs, here we go with three new designs:

67's Danish Design Center Expo

Beogram Platters

B&O Styluses

ngnear
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 245
Bronze Member
ngnear replied on Fri, Jun 26 2020 4:41 PM
This makes me want to buy a Beosound 9000 just to display the discs!

Love them!
mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Jun 26 2020 4:43 PM
matador43:

You mights already have seen the original set from the stores and the custom Late Night Tales discs, here we go with three new designs:

Magnifiques!

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 145
Silver Member
dahiyas replied on Fri, Jun 26 2020 7:52 PM

Awesome !!

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 145
Silver Member

Awesome !!

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 145
Silver Member

Awesome !!

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Fri, Jun 26 2020 9:11 PM

In your previous thread on this topic (https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/40389.aspx) you said, "--- The one with painted singer, piano, sax, guitar etc, in two versions (See Discogs).--- The second with pictures of the BS9000 different placement options."  I found one of the first on discogs "A New View on Music": https://www.discogs.com/Various-Bang-Olufsen-Vol-VII-A-New-View-On-Music/release/7828772

The other B&O release, "The Art of Seduction" (https://www.discogs.com/Various-Bang-Olufsen/release/10771556), photos do not show the CD labels.  Do you have a link (or a photo to store here) for those, or the BS9000 placement pix you mentioned?  

Of your sets, I like the platters the best.  But wishing for some color... Think I'll load my copy of "Abbey Road" and spin the apple, now...  P.S.  Ralf @kallasr had a couple examples (https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/4774.aspx) and he mentions a thread on the archive site, which neither he nor I can find...

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 218
Bronze Member
PaulGiles replied on Fri, Jun 26 2020 10:08 PM
I seriously believe that if they brought the 9000 back with a modern twist/upgrade it would sell.

It’s another example of “like no other”.

How many other brands get excitement over their 6-disc CD players of the 90’s?
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Good night trackbeo,

My previous topics was in fact on a slightly different subject: it was more on "filling" the discs first and then decorating them.
"A new view on music" was quite easy to recreate: very common standards and disc art available at enough quality for jet ink printing.

In my search I of course came across "the art of seduction" serie, but as you have seen, its more difficult to find the art, not even mentioning recompile the content.

The BS9000 placement option serie, I've seen it in my searches at that time, but didn't find it interesting. I dont even know if it really did exist or if it was for some marketing shots only. You can see it in the beoworld product page of the 9000 and I've found another picture, attached here.

To be honest, the problem with the platters serie is that once printed they should loose their shinny metallic aspect. I will give it a try as soon as I know how to fill the 6 disc and let the forum know

My favorite is the Danish exhibition series, not really for the full rendition of the set in the unit, but more because I love this graphic serie. I've used it to make a little framed artwork in a corner of my office, like a private joke. By the way, if anyone should have any information about that art, i would be greatly interested. I also wanted to do something since a long time with the stylus shape art on MMC cartridge boxes but I reckon that's not the best way to use them and the dark blue background echoes nothing, so…

Didn't see Kallasr's work before, thank you to pointing me to that. I've thought and still thinking on using packshot pictures too, but since B&O media bank closed I feel like stripped. It was a great source of Hi-Res pictures. I'm also thinking in reconstructing the B&O 2006 catalog cover or amore thematic serie like Beolab, or remotes (even if it did already exist) etc…

So new ideas to come next and maybe some with colors!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jun 27 2020 12:51 AM

I love the Beogram platters, and the ones with the various catalog ways to display the 9000. Something is definitely lost when going away from physical media.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sat, Jun 27 2020 11:19 AM

Night Inspiration…

2001 A Space Odyssey

Lina Cavalieri

Supertramp

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sat, Jun 27 2020 11:36 AM

All designs are based on materials which enough resolution to be actually printed.
I use matt paper CD stickers from eBay, the only one I could find with small central hole.
If anyone interested I can (freely obviously) provide the A4 sheet with the artwork ready to print (2 disc per sheet).
If you use different paper and are not handy with graphic tools you'll need to provide the template of the sheet and except some tries and adjustment.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sun, Jun 28 2020 7:28 PM

That one was inspired by Beocool.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Jun 28 2020 9:17 PM

matador43:

That one was inspired by Beocool.

And a very cool look - but possibly the "S" to the far left so it doesn't say "SLEE" in the parked position Geeked

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sun, Jun 28 2020 9:37 PM

So true!   Embarrassed (Does SLEE have a special meaning?)

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Mon, Jun 29 2020 10:41 AM

matador43:
(Does SLEE have a special meaning?)
To an audiophile from the yesteryears, yes: Graham Slee, https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/

I just bought Richter's single-disc "From Sleep", because I didn't think I could concentrate enough to listen to the 8 hours.  Perhaps that misses the point...

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Mon, Jun 29 2020 11:30 AM

trackbeo:
yes: Graham Slee,

Thank you trackbeo, and because it is also a very similar font type, I understand the awkwardness!

trackbeo:
Perhaps that misses the point...

Well, I'm listening to Sleep, right now (currently around the 80th minute) and so far it sounds a lot like From Sleep but with each track looped 5 or 6 time.
Maybe I'm missing the point too. From the three (actually four) albums derived from the concept, maybe Sleep Remixes is the most accessible.

I also wonder if the fact that the music was also sold as "Morgan OST" is not an attempt to get some money back for an interesting but not so easy selling work.

But in the end still tic music to listen to.

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Mon, Jun 29 2020 3:03 PM

matador43:

So true!   Embarrassed (Does SLEE have a special meaning?)

'Slee' in Dutch (one of native languages) means sled or sleigh and it's also slang for a big luxury car. Apart from Graham Slee, there's also a Dutch writer by the name of Carry Slee. The word 'Sleep' is also known in Dutch and it means the thing you haul behind you, or something like that.

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Mon, Jun 29 2020 3:08 PM

The custom discs look terrific. Great idea Yes - thumbs up

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Mon, Jun 29 2020 3:22 PM

2006 catalog front cover

(not 100% accurate and not the best quality, best fit a white Beosound 9000!)

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Jun 29 2020 3:34 PM

A set based on the iconic Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon album cover would be cool, the light and spectrum going from one prism to another on each of the discs. Could be quite striking. I also love the 2001 themed one. Play disk 3, I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Jeff

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Mon, Jun 29 2020 5:19 PM

With One Prism so far Smile

Dark Side Of The Moon

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
Nice!
Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Bronze Member
Beosince98 replied on Mon, Jun 29 2020 10:32 PM
matador43:

With One Prism so far

Dark Side Of The Moon

This looks awesome!!!
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jun 30 2020 12:28 AM

Ooooh, me likey!!! Stunning on the 9000, the prism and black discs and colors.

Also, these are mostly aligned for horizontal mounting, what about vertical? I long waterfall picture would be interesting for that. Any other vertical ideas? Maybe a rocket, something iconic like a Saturn V, with the top disc being stars.

Jeff

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Tue, Jun 30 2020 9:17 AM

Jeff:
Also, these are mostly aligned for horizontal mounting,

You're right! mine is just next to my desk so vertical mounting didn't even cross my mind, need to work on this :-).

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Tue, Jun 30 2020 9:33 AM

That one is for fun:

Hollow discs

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jun 30 2020 2:40 PM

Big Smile Great!

Jeff

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Wed, Nov 4 2020 10:41 PM

matador43:
If anyone interested I can (freely obviously) provide the A4 sheet with the artwork ready to print (2 disc per sheet).
Hey, @matador43, sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just saw your post in the newer "B&O promo CDs vol I-XIII" thread and wondered...  (1) The "SLEEP" discs are your custom drop-outs on the original art, correct?  (I just checked on discogs and they all appear to be "mostly cloudy" with no differences across the set.)  (2) Confirming that your turntable platters do not stand up to conventional printing because of no silver ink?  And (3) yes, if you are willing to upload it to "my files" here, I would be interested to print a set of Fornasetti (Lina Cavalieri) labels, for when I don't have "real" discs in my (new-to-me) 9000.  Thanks in advance!

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Hi Trackbeo,

Congratulation for your new 9000.

1 - Yes, It's a "rework" based on original elements.
2 - Yes, I've tried to add enough shine for them to be nice at glance, but you'll need silver ink or transparent sticker on naked CD's for best results.
3 - The art are on a hi res PDF and I provide a link to buy the paper that fit the layout. I can also send you the raw art if you wanna do your own layout. I rather send them by email as the files are quite large and to be honest I don't know enough about legal issue to let them online at Beoworld.

Regards.

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member

(The 9000 is a gift.  Hopefully it works for a long while, and won't be "the gift that keeps on giving"!-)  Apparently stock Avery 8960 sheets have a small die-cut center circle, and they are matte, vs. 8944 glossy.  The white film 8962 look like the right thing to use, alas they are large-hole.  I can scan the plates, so I'm off, unless you have any specific caveats about printing.  Looks like the die-cut provides an easy "bleed" to simply print across.  (For people wondering WTF, here is a photo of Piero Fornasetti with just a few of his many renderings, on china: https://www.gramilano.com/2014/01/face-soprano-fornasettis-obsession-lina-cavalieri/ )

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Nov 5 2020 10:47 PM

trackbeo:
 I can scan the plates, so I'm off, unless you have any specific caveats about printing.

Sorry Trackbeo, can get what you mean. If you're saying you can scan the plates by yourself and dont need the art, it's fine.
If you use a flatbed scan, you may have some focus issue since the plates are not flat.

Anymay you need a (very) high res scan (3x or 4x printing size) to kill the effect of the screen pattern which might interfere.`
Also, keep it all B&W, to avoid any fringing problems. 

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Today, I made up my mind on how to fill 6 another blank discs and tried the Beogram Platter collection to celebrate my again silent BS9000 sledge.

Printed on mat paper, the unit is not in direct light so the result is satisfying to me.

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Mon, Nov 16 2020 12:06 PM

Stop posting this stuff matador43 - now I need to get one of these mighty 9000s also Smile.

Looks amazing!

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Mon, Nov 16 2020 1:14 PM
An other beautiful set Yes - thumbs up
Page 1 of 1 (35 items) | RSS