Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Solved: Old Beolabs with new DAC/streamer

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

erlendh
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
erlendh Posted: Thu, Jul 22 2021 1:50 AM

I am new to the Beolabs, so might be a stupid question, sorry.

I am used to an airport express/tv -> digital outs -> dac -> amp -> speakers setup.

I am getting a pair of Beolab 6000s now. I assume there must be a dac built into the active speakers? How good is it? Is there any point using a standalone dac? Or beosound core, hall wifi streamer?

My current dac has variable line output (rca) and can be connected to active speakers. But it doesn't have the 2.5-5V power signal to turn on the Beolabs. It also doesn't have remote control.

How will Core handle volume control from TV (toslink in) or Airplay2 streaming? Do I need the Essence remote as well?

Hall wifi streamer uses hdmiarc, so TV remote can control TV volume. I suppose the Airplay2 source (iPhone) handles the music streaming volume control?

Suggestions on how to best integrate Beolab 6000s to a TV / music streaming setup is very appreciated!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Connect a regular rca cable between your dac and the Beolab 6000’s, and you are good to go 😀

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

erlendh:

I am new to the Beolabs, so might be a stupid question, sorry.

I am used to an airport express/tv -> digital outs -> dac -> amp -> speakers setup.

I am getting a pair of Beolab 6000s now. I assume there must be a dac built into the active speakers? How good is it? Is there any point using a standalone dac? Or beosound core, hall wifi streamer?

My current dac has variable line output (rca) and can be connected to active speakers. But it doesn't have the 2.5-5V power signal to turn on the Beolabs. It also doesn't have remote control.

How will Core handle volume control from TV (toslink in) or Airplay2 streaming? Do I need the Essence remote as well?

Hall wifi streamer uses hdmiarc, so TV remote can control TV volume. I suppose the Airplay2 source (iPhone) handles the music streaming volume control?

Suggestions on how to best integrate Beolab 6000s to a TV / music streaming setup is very appreciated!

Lots of questions there!

I read your post this way: you want to have your BL6000’s connected to your tv and use some kind of streaming (music service, Airplay) as well.

Since you yourself mention the Hall Wifi Streamer - this will be the easiest way to establish this (especially if you use Spotify for music listening).

Simply use a HDMI//ARC connection between the tv and the Hall streamer, configure this using wifi…..and you are good to go.

Ask for the version with RJ45 to a DIN/PL splitter - the Hall streamer provides the trigger for the speaker. Of course you need the normal PL cables that come with the 6000’s and the power cables.

The volume is easily controlled with the tv remote and (for regular streaming) with the streaming device.

The streamer has autoswitching between the HDMI input and the built-in services (AP2 etc).

As Leo wrote you can connect the DAC directly to the 6000’s - however, the small HALL device will give you a much simpler setup.

You could also use the BS Core - but you’d need a remote control (Essence Remote, Beoremote One, the B&O app) for that, when using the tv, since the optical connection from a tv will be at fixed volume level. 
And maybe the BS Core is a bit overkill for that simple setup…..unless you want to expand with further B&O NL devices.

P.S. there is no DAC built in to the 6000’s - they only have analog connections from the source device.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

erlendh
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
erlendh replied on Thu, Jul 22 2021 10:01 AM

Thanks! Looks like Hall is the easiest setup, by far, yes. Hope it has a good dac …

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

erlendh:

Thanks! Looks like Hall is the easiest setup, by far, yes. Hope it has a good dac …

Rest asure - basicly all DAC’s nowadays are ‘good’.

And after all we are talking sound from tv and streaming….and a simple set of BL6000’s.

MM

erlendh
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
erlendh replied on Thu, Jul 22 2021 10:38 AM

I should get the RJ45 - Powerlink Y Splitter, correct?

https://www.hallaudio.com/en/produkt/traadloes-streaming/hall-wifi-streamer/

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

erlendh:

I should get the RJ45 - Powerlink Y Splitter, correct?

https://www.hallaudio.com/en/produkt/traadloes-streaming/hall-wifi-streamer/

Yes, the Y-splitter.

Of course that depends on the placement of the box/speakers.

You could do with the regular RJ45 to DIN Powerlink and then daisychain the PL from one speaker to the other.

However, most likely the box as well as the tv will be placed between the speakers.

So probably the Y-splitter version will be best. 

By the way - I have one of these streamers myself….it works well.

MM

erlendh
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
erlendh replied on Thu, Jul 22 2021 10:55 PM

Thanks again! I was wondering if daisy chain would work with non-B&O equipment, especially if the 5V wake up signal would follow to the 2nd speaker.

But the TV is (and the Hall Streamer will be) between the speakers, so Y splitter is ideal.

Millemissen:

When playing music, not TV sound, I assume it can multiroom, you can Airplay2 music to the Hall and to other Airplay2 speakers in sync?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

erlendh:

Thanks again! I was wondering if daisy chain would work with non-B&O equipment, especially if the 5V wake up signal would follow to the 2nd speaker.

But the TV is (and the Hall Streamer will be) between the speakers, so Y splitter is ideal.

Millemissen:

When playing music, not TV sound, I assume it can multiroom, you can Airplay2 music to the Hall and to other Airplay2 speakers in sync?

I don’t follow what you mean by ‘…..daisy chain would work with non-B&O equipment, especially if the 5V wake up signal would follow to the 2nd speaker

What are wanting to do there?

Any AP2 certified device should be able to play in sync with other AP2 certified devices - at least that is what the specs say.

MM

erlendh
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
erlendh replied on Tue, Jul 27 2021 12:23 AM

Nevermind, I am getting the Y splitter. (I was worried if maybe a daisy chain would send the 5V trigger signal from Hall streamer and wake up the 1st speaker, but that the 5V trigger signal would not be forwarded to the 2nd speaker.)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Please report back, when you have set up things - might help others in a comparable situation.

MM

erlendh
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
erlendh replied on Tue, Aug 10 2021 5:20 PM

So the Hall Wifi Streamer has arrived, and it works like a charm. Y-splitter powerlink cable from Hall Streamer to a pair of Beolab 6000s. Setup was easy.  Airplay 2 works flawlessly, also in multiroom/sync with other Airplay speakers.

Only thing I haven't tested yet is TV sound input via hdmi arc and switching between TV and music, I assume it will work. I am changing the bass driver rubbers first, and changing the speaker covers from black to white.

erlendh
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
erlendh replied on Fri, Aug 13 2021 12:48 AM

Update: HDMI ARC and toslink also works. Hall streamer automatically switches input source. Volume control via TV remote works.

Very pleased with the Hall Wifi Streamer!

Beoradio
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 102
Bronze Member
Beoradio replied on Sun, Sep 19 2021 6:53 AM

Picked up the Hall audio streamer yesterday at Danish Lounge in Geel.

Connected 3 x beolab 7.4 with the Y-splitter cable and it works perfect.

Haven't tested the TV sound via HDMI ARC yet.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Yes, the Hall device is a bit pricey, but it is really worth the money….needs more attention from all those, who have a non-B&O tv and still have some Beolabs, which they want to use.

MM

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS