Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 5000 Stereo control unit type 6005

rated by 0 users
This post has 77 Replies | 3 Followers

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member
Christian Christensen Posted: Fri, Sep 26 2014 12:01 AM

Is there any documentation about it ?

Anyone that has got hold of one ? 

Any images ?

Christian 

My re-capped M75 are my precious diamonds.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Sep 26 2014 7:34 AM

Christian Christensen:

Is there any documentation about it ?

Anyone that has got hold of one ? 

Any images ?

Christian 

Christian, that's the Stereo Width box which we've dioscussed recently (with Chartz and Classic Audio).  I have an original restored one from Frede and Jacques (Chartz) is building his own version soon.  Frede has made 10 units of a 'copy' and has sold quite a few of them.  See this post;

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/9885/97265.aspx

From Frede:

http://www.beolab.dk/content/box.html

http://www.beolab.dk/content/box.html

Are you interested in this for a particular reason?

I can take some pictures of mine but pictures are widely available if you search 'Stereo Width Box'.

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Sep 26 2014 7:46 AM

I think that is the mkI box without the headphone outlet, and which plugs into the centre speaker output of the Beolab 5000. 

That is indeed what I'm trying to replicate for myself. Embarrassed

There is no documentation anywhere about it. It is only mentioned in the owner's manual of the Beolab 5000!

Jacques

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Sep 26 2014 8:17 AM

chartz:

I think that is the box without the headphone outlet, and which plugs into the centre speaker output of the Beolab 5000. 

That is indeed what I'm trying to replicate.

In the book I received from Frede, the references to this are:

Center Speaker: 'Your Beolab 5000 has provision for connection of a center speaker, which should be plugged into the CENTER jack.  Use of a centre speaker normally requires a B&O Type 6005.  Stereo Width Box (Actually 8906005).  The adjustable centre speaker makes it possible to increase or reduce the width of the 'stereo picture'.  With it, you can vary the reproduction to match the acoustics of the room, the placement of the poing of listening with any respect to the speakers, the programme material and your personal tastes'.  There is no mention of ability to use headphones.

In the same book, in a later section when discussing individual components, it says:

'Basis Width Control Box': This unit primarily serves the purpose of controlling centre speaker(s) so that the width of the stero picture is either increased or reduced.  The control box is also required for use as an adaptor when a stereo headset is connected to the Beolab 5000.

Now, the paperwork I received from Frede is called 'Center control box MKII' and has the headphone socket but on the actual unit it says 'Stereo Width' and does not plug into the 'centre speaker' outputs but into the 'Speakers 2, L and R' outputs)

Confusing isn't it?  As mine is described as a MKII, I can only assume there was a MKI which is probably the one without the headphone socket.  

Maybe Frede can clarify this?

If you PM me with your e-mail address, I can send you the paperwork (pdf) I have, including schematics and the user manual/connection instructions I received from Frede.

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Sep 26 2014 8:41 AM

No doubt Frede will clarify.

The manual I have (in French, but here in English) shows this too:

Jacques

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Sep 26 2014 9:42 AM

Yes, that's a picture from the book I have.  It is the type 6005 (8906005) and connects to the 'centre speaker' outlet.  Contrary to the MKII which does not connect to the centre speaker output.

Dave.

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

Thanks so much for your replies :)

Very Interesting, how are you huys using it ?, three identical speakers ?
Could you tell me more about your setup ?

How does it sound `?, experiences?

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Sep 26 2014 2:39 PM

Christian,

you can see my set-up here on my post from last week:

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/11952.aspx

You can see the Stereo Width Box to the left, next to the Beolab 5000 and tuner.

I use it exactly as in the Beolab 5000 manual so with a pair of Beovox 5000 speakers with aBeovox 2500 Cube on top of each one and the centre speaker is a Beovox 3000 underneath and in the middle.

It sounds amazing and the centre speaker does add a subtle extra depth to my ears.  I think we discussed it more on Jacques thread about his Beovox 5000's.  That covered more about the impact of the Beovox 2500's.

If you adjust the box from -3, through 0 and to +3 there is a definite difference in sound.  It has to be at '0' to operate as a headphone socket otherwise sound still comes from the main speakers.

Dave.

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

What a beautiful setup there, on the pictures !!!

Maybe one day in the future I will have a similar !

Does the potetionmeter on the box, affect the level in the center speaker, or just the level of stereo width in the Left Right Speaker ?

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Sep 27 2014 5:16 PM

It will affect volume in the centre speaker and diaphony between left and right speakers. 

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Oct 3 2014 8:27 AM

One question: how about using two speakers (like Beovox 1600, see here) as ambio side speakers instead of one centre speaker, via the same adapter?

They could be attenuated in the lower registers via a high-pass filter - well, one cap Stick out tongue - included in the box.

Would this work?

Jacques

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Tue, Oct 7 2014 5:21 PM

I would be interested in a MK1 stereo box as well. I was thinking about using it with the "ekstra" speaker connection on by beomaster 900. Please keep us updated Jacques!

Wouter

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Oct 7 2014 5:44 PM

Wouter:

I would be interested in a MK1 stereo box as well. I was thinking about using it with the "extra" speaker connection on by beomaster 900. Please keep us updated Jacques!

I will. I'm still waiting for the components. I won't have anything to sell though, this being just a personal project! Smile

Jacques

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Wed, Oct 8 2014 3:04 PM

chartz:

I will. I'm still waiting for the components. I won't have anything to sell though, this being just a personal project! Smile

If you provide us with an update on the result I'm more than happyBig Smile and maybe will try to build one myselfWink

Wouter

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Oct 10 2014 1:15 PM

Hi,

The components are here, three resistors and a seven position, two waffer rotary switch. Not sure about the box yet. I will use a tryout folded PVC plate but no PCB, just traditional wiring.

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Oct 10 2014 4:55 PM

These are the main - and only - components. The switch is a seven position steatite one. There will be captive speaker cables adapted to my system configuration.

The complicated bit was to get the logic of the wiring! The B&O version used a special switch and more resistors that were added or removed according to the position. I managed to simplify the thing (something tells me that Frede has come up with something similar, he appears to use three resistors as well).

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Oct 10 2014 9:41 PM

Swich over Stick out tongue

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Sat, Oct 11 2014 2:31 PM

Do I jeopardize anything else than my musical experience if I connect a speaker, say a BV 1200 or a 3000, to ”centre”  on Beolab 5000, without using a Control box between? With a Beovox 3000 socketed I can also link on yet another BV 2500 cube. Some objections?

/***

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Oct 11 2014 2:49 PM

Not sure about that Dicl<. At least put a 5 ohms resistor in between. Frede might advise. Why on Earth one cannot write ***?

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 10:39 AM

chartz:

Not sure about that Dicl<. At least put a 5 ohms resistor in between. Frede might advise. Why on Earth one cannot write ***?

Well, since Saturday, I now has been listening to all kind of music from my Beolab 5000-system and I have altered, as center-speaker, Beovox 1200, Beovox 3000 and Beovox 4000 with a single Beovox 2500 cube in top and now I hardly want to be without this third speaker.

The BV 1200 gave the best complement to the stereo picture, the BV 4000 produced "too much" sound, as did the BV 3000. The later ones took over from the BV 5000 on the wings.

I want to use one of BV 3000 as the center, simply because the manual tells me that... The next step would be to get a Stereo Width Box, or the Stereo Control Unit, which shows up first.

You can not write my name becasue its not only my name, its also the name of what is called "k uk" in Sweden.

/***

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 10:58 AM

tamtapir:

The BV 1200 gave the best complement to the stereo picture, the BV 4000 produced "too much" sound, as did the BV 3000. The later ones took over from the BV 5000 on the wings.

Hence the minimum 5 Ω resistor!

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 11:07 AM

chartz:

tamtapir:

Hence the minimum 5 Ω resistor!

Thank you, Jacques. I have fitted a 5 Ohm resistor in the circuit!

/***

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 11:36 AM

You can also play with the speaker's polarities. That's what the box does too (wide/narrow).

Finally, you can replace the 5 Ω with 10 Ω and 20 Ω and listen to the differences. Please do report back what every alteration does!

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 11:50 AM

tamtapir:

You can not write my name becasue its not only my name, its also the name of what is called "k uk" in Sweden.

The forum software knows Swedish too! Unbelievable! Big Smile

Apparently, the French word for *** makes it through...

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 12:12 PM

chartz:

tamtapir:

The forum software knows Swedish too! Unbelievable! Big Smile

Apparently, the French word for *** makes it through...

Adaptive Little sucker, this forum.

Anyway. I´ve tried to change the polarity and will return with a report with my experiences. What I dont have tried yet is different resistors. I´ll be back!

Until then, I´ve got two questions:

In this document ( http://www.beolab.dk/content/cube.pdf ), Frede suggest a system with four cubes and two Beolabs. Is it possible to get a similar experience with only one Beolab, if the center speaker is linked to "center" and the second pair BV 2500 are linked to "Speaker 2" (left and right)?

If so, do I require a resistor between Beolab and BV 2500 connected directly to the amplifier?

/Dikc

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 12:28 PM

No resistor in series, but to protect the Cube Frede suggest inserting a 12μF bipolar capacitor, a coil and a resistor between the Beolab and the Cubes.

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 12:37 PM

chartz:

No resistor in series, but to protect the Cube Frede suggest inserting a 12μF bipolar capacitor, a coil and a resistor between the Beolab and the Cubes.

It was an interesting document. Did you find it at Fredes website or is it from somewhere else? Very useful, now I have something to do for a while! Thanks, Jacques!

/***

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 12:43 PM

tamtapir:

Ohh! Det var ett intressant dokument. Fanns det på Fredes hemsida eller kommer det från någon annanstans?
Mycket användbart, nu har jag lite att göra en stund!
Tack, Jacques!

I don't remember where I got it. Maybe the old forum. Or Frede sent it to me?

I understand "tack", I watched Äkta Människor on TV! Swedish is an interesting language, half way between English and German.

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 1:08 PM

chartz:

tamtapir:

Ohh! Det var ett intressant dokument. Fanns det på Fredes hemsida eller kommer det från någon annanstans?
Mycket användbart, nu har jag lite att göra en stund!
Tack, Jacques!

I don't remember where I got it. Maybe the old forum. Or Frede sent it to me?

I understand "tack", I watched Äkta Människor on TV! Swedish is an interesting language, half way between English and German.

That was a fast quote! I´m working at my computer right now and didnt recognized that I was writing in Swedish in the forum - until I posted. Then I edited, but too late. Well, take it for a lesson in Swedish!   Big Smile

/***

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 1:15 PM

chartz:

These are the main - and only - components. The switch is a seven position steatite one. There will be captive speaker cables adapted to my system configuration.

The complicated bit was to get the logic of the wiring! The B&O version used a special switch and more resistors that were added or removed according to the position. I managed to simplify the thing (something tells me that Frede has come up with something similar, he appears to use three resistors as well).

Would it be possible to take part of your  scheme for this configuration?

/***

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 9:16 PM

I will explain what I did when the prototype is finished, and if it works!

I am fabricating a cheap Perspex box for testing purposes. It will be finished by the end of the week.

But I don't have any centre speaker candidates to test it properly at the moment. I will use an S45.

Jacques

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 9:33 PM

chartz:
But I don't have any centre speaker candidates to test it properly at the moment. I will use an S45.

Be patient my friend, only 2 and a bit weeks to go!

Dave.

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 13 2014 9:45 PM

chartz:

I will explain what I did when the prototype is finished, and if it works!

I am fabricating a cheap Perspex box for testing purposes. It will be finished by the end of the week.

Centre speaker candidates is the smal problem here. I will follow this thread with pleasure and would be glad to give name the "new" product: The Beoooo.

/cDik

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Oct 14 2014 6:15 PM

The prototype...

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Tue, Oct 14 2014 9:27 PM

chartz:

The prototype...

Cant wait to hear how it works.

/Dcik

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Oct 14 2014 9:29 PM

The 'JF MKI'.  Well done Jacques, I hope it works OK.

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Oct 15 2014 2:00 PM

Top side. Only a prototype, so very approximate finish.

Jacques

classic
Top 500 Contributor
Venø, Denmark
Posts 139
Founder
classic replied on Wed, Oct 15 2014 2:14 PM

Great work - Chartz

Looks very fine - is the functionality as expected?

/Frede

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Oct 15 2014 2:28 PM

Yes, but my Beovox 3000 is not here yet, so the definite 'yes' will have to wait!

Thanks!

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Wed, Oct 15 2014 9:03 PM

chartz:

Yes, but my Beovox 3000 is not here yet, so the definite 'yes' will have to wait!

Thanks!

*Want*

*Need*

/Dkic

Page 1 of 2 (78 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS