Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 5000 Stereo control unit type 6005

rated by 0 users
This post has 77 Replies | 3 Followers

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Oct 15 2014 9:11 PM

tamtapir:

*Want*

*Need*

/Dkic

Err... What? Confused

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Oct 16 2014 4:58 PM

I am glad to report that the box works nicely, it is now plugged to the 'centre' speaker output and linked to some speaker (an Arcam one, 8Ω) of comparable, perhaps a little lower, sensitivity. The effect does change according to position. I would not say it is spectacular, because of speaker mismatch, but hey it works that's for sure! 

What's funny is that the centre speakers makes itself little known unless you get your ear close to it. Then you realise it's working at a normal sound pressure level! It is the addition of both channels, so it's mono. Inverting polarities changes depth perception.

Now what will another Beovox of the same vintage bring?

Here +2 wide.

Jacques

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Thu, Oct 16 2014 5:28 PM

Well done Jacques.  Only a week or two until you get the Beovox 3000 to try it properly.  Today, my box was on +2 too.

Dave.

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Thu, Oct 16 2014 5:44 PM

That was good news! Very well done!

/Dikc

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Oct 17 2014 6:42 AM

Now working on diagram and instructions... A busy weekend - the Lumiere Film Festival in Lyon - postpones that a little, sorry!

Jacques

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Thu, Oct 23 2014 8:06 PM

That looks very good Jacques! I will be waiting patient for the diagram and instructions!Yes - thumbs up

Wouter

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Oct 24 2014 8:01 AM

Hi Wouter!

I now have a second beta tester (Tamtapir) before the final how to is posted here, but I can send you the diagram. I'll send it to you via email.

Keep that BC for me please, by the way! Thank you!

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Fri, Oct 24 2014 8:28 AM

chartz:

Hi Wouter!

I now have a second beta tester (Tamtapir) before the final how to is posted here,

Parts are ordered and under delivery from the Swedish supplier ELFA.

/Dikk

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Oct 24 2014 1:06 PM

Did you manage to find a 7-position rotary swich like me Dii<I<?

Jacques

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Fri, Oct 24 2014 3:07 PM

chartz:

Hi Wouter!

I now have a second beta tester (Tamtapir) before the final how to is posted here, but I can send you the diagram. I'll send it to you via email.

Keep that BC for me please, by the way! Thank you!

Great! I will wait for the results! Unfortunately I just found out that the "ekstra" sound output on a bm 900 is only the right channel... I have to think of something! 

The bc will be waiting for you.

Maybe this website can help determining the differences in stereo image.

Wouter

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Sun, Oct 26 2014 8:10 AM

chartz:

Did you manage to find a 7-position rotary swich like me Dii<I<?

No. I will use a slightly less slick, slightly less quick solution consisting of a 2-way switch and a 4-way rotary swich- ("for the moment...").

Please feel free to email me the designation on your 7-way switch.

/Duck

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 27 2014 10:25 AM

This is the Beoooo, deigned by Jacques (chartz) and built my myself.

There is a significant difference in how I experience the sound in the seven different settings and I think I found one or two favorites. This is absolutely a "must have" in a Beolab system!

Well done, Jacques!

/***

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 27 2014 10:39 AM

Good, good!

Now we don't want to compete with Frede's superb box, do we? - so I feel we should obtain his permission before publishing anything.

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 27 2014 10:47 AM

chartz:

Good, good!

Now we don't want to compete with Frede's superb box, do we? - so I feel we should obtain his permission before publishing anything.

I've gotten a few requests for this construction, but have not disclosed anything at all, not even shared your drawing. As far as I understand it, YOU own the rights to this thing and it's up to YOU what to do with it.

I'm just grateful that I was admitted to take part of it so I could build my own! Thank you for that!

This is non-rocket science as its best!

/***

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 27 2014 10:57 AM

tamtapir:

As far as I understand it, YOU own the rights to this thing and it's up to YOU what to do with it.

The schematics are B&O's originals, and Frede did send them to me...

But I can send Wouter the diagram now!

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 27 2014 11:16 AM

chartz:

tamtapir:

As far as I understand it, YOU own the rights to this thing and it's up to YOU what to do with it.

The schematics are B&O's originals, and Frede did send them to me...

But I can send Wouter the diagram now!

Ok! I thought you had designed and made the drawing. Yes, then it's a completely different situation.
Wouter has not asked me about it, but I think he did wrote earlier in this thread. If more people ask me, it is free to share your drawing?
I used a 2pol8pos switch and therefore I have a position that I don't use. Not so neat. Where did you get your 2pol7pos switch?

/***

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Oct 27 2014 11:25 AM

tamtapir:

There is a significant difference in how I experience the sound in the seven different settings and I think I found one or two favorites. This is absolutely a "must have" in a Beolab system!

Well done, Jacques!

That looks a totally classic period piece and with a B&O badge, vintage colour and naming.  I love it.  Great job.

They do make a difference don't they?

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 27 2014 11:29 AM

tamtapir:

Ok! I thought you had designed and made the drawing. Yes, then it's a completely different situation.

Wouter has not asked me about it, but I think he did wrote earlier in this thread. If more people ask me, it is free to share your drawing?
I used a 2pol8pos switch and therefore I have a position that I don't use. Not so neat. Where did you get your 2pol7pos switch?

Yes I did do the new diagram, because B&O used a completely different switch and four resistors, and I've never seen one in reality. I got my switch on eBay UK.

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 27 2014 11:57 AM

Dave Farr:

tamtapir:

Well done, Jacques!

That looks a totally classic period piece and with a B&O badge, vintage colour and naming.  I love it.  Great job.

They do make a difference don't they?

Dave.

Yes, it really makes a difference. If one imagines the soundstage as the line between the stereo speakers from the top with the extra speaker between them, on the line, is this schematic pictures from below of how I perceive the difference:

First, with the knob in "idle", or "0" whatsoever, there is no impacton the soundstage.

Then, with the knob turned to "wide", the picture gets different, more and more in thre steps. The phases is now shifted to the center speaker.

And at last, with the knob turned at "wide", the soundstage get closer.

A real nice gizmo!

/***

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:15 PM

How far apart are your main speakers?

Mine are quite close at 1.9 metres centre to centre so I don't think I get the full benefits.  This is due to the positioning in the room and isn't really open to change at the moment.

Dave.

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 27 2014 3:13 PM

Dave Farr:

How far apart are your main speakers?

Mine are quite close at 1.9 metres centre to centre so I don't think I get the full benefits.  This is due to the positioning in the room and isn't really open to change at the moment.

Dave.

From centre to centre about 3,5 metres here.

/***

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Oct 27 2014 3:49 PM

tamtapir:

Almost double my distance which will result in more noticable results for you I think.  Mine are so close that the centre speaker does get a bit drowned out by the Beovox 5000's.  I'll reconfigure the room one day but there isn't the space to move them at the moment.

I'll ask Jacques about his when he visits me on Friday to collect his Beovox 3000 centre speaker I'm donating to him.

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Oct 28 2014 8:36 AM

Hi,

I will redraw the schematics so that they look more presentable, and publish them here when I have the time. Frede - what a nice person - says it is okay.

I will also give a link or two for components.

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Tue, Oct 28 2014 9:12 AM

Dave Farr:

tamtapir:

Almost double my distance which will result in more noticable results for you I think.  Mine are so close that the centre speaker does get a bit drowned out by the Beovox 5000's.  I'll reconfigure the room one day but there isn't the space to move them at the moment.

I'll ask Jacques about his when he visits me on Friday to collect his Beovox 3000 centre speaker I'm donating to him.

Dave.

You're probably right about the distance between your speakers and maybe a redecoration, temporary or permanent, is not so easy to do. But if you get the opportunity to get more distance between your Beovox 5000 I can really recommend it: I have the privilege to be able to move together and pulling apart my pair and have noticed that the current distance is preferable.

By the way, and apropos of nothing in particular-which version of Beovox 5000 do you have?

/***

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Oct 28 2014 9:45 AM

tamtapir:
By the way, and apropos of nothing in particular-which version of Beovox 5000 do you have?

I have MK2's.  Type 6216 Series 02.

Dave.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Oct 28 2014 3:02 PM
Same here Smile

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Oct 30 2014 6:51 PM
Hi!

I've taken delivery of my Beovox 3000!

I was at Dave's place this afternoon (thanks again Dave Smile) and we had a little B&O tour!

This finished off my day nicely, and I got another little gift too, more of which later in the workbench!

I'll keep you posted about the sound results.

Jacques

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:08 PM

Jacques, Tamtapir,

That looks absolutely stunning! I'd definitely be interested in the schematics! Unfortunately I found out the the "ekstra" speaker output on my beomaster 900 only carries the right signal. I currently use it without the build in speakers as they are made of paper and the paper surrounds will crack completely if played... I need to find a solution for this. However, it gives me the possibility to use the "internal" speaker output for a central speaker, so maybe I should look for a MK2 stereo control box. I'm sorry for hijacking the thread...

Wouter

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Nov 2 2014 4:20 PM

Back home! Doesn't it look gorgeous? Stick out tongue

Jacques

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Sun, Nov 2 2014 10:59 PM

Jacques, that looks gorgeous indeed! 

Wouter

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Mon, Nov 3 2014 7:54 AM

Looks great !

Have you listened to it yet ?

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member

It must be this the Danish designers figured out 50 years ago! Lovely! Perhaps the most beautiful set of B&O ever made.

/***

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member

chartz:
Hi!

I was at Dave's place this afternoon (thanks again Dave Smile) and we had a little B&O tour!

This finished off my day nicely, and I got another little gift too, more of which later in the workbench!

You're welcome Jacques.

Now we need a sound test.

It looks good on stands.  I haven't the room to do that where mine is.

Dave.

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member

Dave Farr:

chartz:
Hi!

You're welcome Jacques.

Dave.

Yes, a sound test please.

It will be really interesting. I estimate from the picture that Jacques has about 2.5 metres between centres on his BV 5000, i.e. somewhere between yours, Dave and my respective distance. It'll be fun to take part by Jacques impressions.

/***

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Nov 3 2014 10:29 AM

valve1:

Looks great ! 

Have you listened to it yet ?

Not in earnest, no. Lots of work.

Dave Farr:

Courtesy of Castorama! There is a thin board underneath that you cannot see, but no, I did not screw the feet directly on the Beovox! Stick out tongue

tamtapir:

Yes, a sound test please.

It will be really interesting. I estimate from the picture that Jacques has about 2.5 metres between centres on his BV 5000, i.e. somewhere between yours, Dave and my respective distance. It'll be fun to take part by Jacques impressions.

That's about right. I was thinking of removing the M70s to take them apart a little further.

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Nov 3 2014 10:46 AM

Yes, do that. But make a test first with the speakers at their current Place, for the comparison.

/***

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Dec 23 2014 8:13 PM
By the way, I had forgotten...

The diagram… Smile

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor