Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What Are You Working On Now

This post has 1,308 Replies | 20 Followers

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 6:48 PM

Evan:
tamtapir:

The plastic cd clamper for Beocenter 9000? I buy one! Or seven.

/***

If you can get me an accurate drawing or send me an original part I can try and reproduce it.

I would love to, but I only have one working clamp, positioned in a BC 9000 and I dare not detach it.

It is probably the simplest and cheapest piece which done to most B & O-stuff ended up in electronics recycling.

/***

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

I always find myself in the most unroutine restorations with B&O.

On the Workbench forum, any ideas on my topic "CD5500 CDM2 to CDM4 conversion"?

Menahem

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, May 10 2013 2:21 PM

just doing a little in-situ cleaning ...

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Guy:

All you need is a shaving brush and a Philips screwdriver Laughing

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Now you strap it onto the roof of your car, and take it through the car wash.

Oh, and don't forget to ask for the special wax spray!

Guaranteed to sparkle!Lets have a Party !!!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, May 10 2013 3:31 PM

sparkling now! Big Smile

It's always a relief when it still works once reassembled - I wonder if my wife will notice how beautifully the CD door opens now!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Guy:
It's always a relief when it still works once reassembled - I wonder if my wife will notice how beautifully the CD door opens now!

She will notice how good it looks, she will never notice how good the CD door works, but she will ask you to do the same with her kitchen appliances Big Smile

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, May 10 2013 3:47 PM

Søren Mexico:

she will ask you to do the same with her kitchen appliances Big Smile

then I shall hide the screwdriver before she gets home! Smile

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

This one's for Jacques!

He sourced some BeoGram 4000 parts for me in France, and sent them to me - Keyboard PCB,  AC motor, and other bits.

Just like Frede likes to say about the BG4000's, this was a real troublemaker. 4 days of solid troubleshooting, and that was after the full restoration - new caps, resoldering all joints, a thorough cleaning.

Now the project's complete.

Right Click, Save As .. to watch some vintage eye candy

Menahem

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, May 17 2013 6:11 AM

Hi,

Good job Menahem!

I often use this LP myself when testing Wink Thanks for the video!

Another Beogram saved. 

Jacques

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan replied on Fri, May 17 2013 11:41 AM

Finally I've had some progress on this project. It's been on my bench for months. Now it's more or less finished.

You guessed it! It's my IR receiver for the BM1900. It receives BL1000 codes and switches source and changes volume.

I decided to also add some sensing so that the uC can check which source is currently active. That way I can step through FM presets while still keeping the uC totally state-free.

The binding posts are for connecting an MCL2 transceiver. I decided to go with that because there is just no good place to put a TSOP7000 in this unit. Also, the way I plan to mount the BM it's better to put the IR receiver on the adjacent wall.

I had pretty strict real estate restrictions to be able to fit it in the space of the BM2400 remote receiver, but with a little thinking ahead it slides in beautifully.

Now I just need to add a connector and write some code to make this BM a link room unit. Then it will replace my BL2000 (which is neither pretty nor well sounding in my opinion) in the kitchen.

/  Johan

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Fri, May 17 2013 1:21 PM

Johan:
I decided to also add some sensing so that the uC can check which source is currently active. That way I can step through FM presets while still keeping the uC totally state-free.

Great work! Yes - thumbs up

Good idea that sense system. In my STB controller, I had to wire the uC to the power LED of the STB. Otherwise it was impossible to turn it on/off properly because of the annoying toggle type standby / power on command that most 3rd party devices have.

--mika

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan replied on Fri, May 17 2013 1:29 PM

tournedos:

Johan:

Great work! Yes - thumbs up

Good idea that sense system. In my STB controller, I had to wire the uC to the power LED of the STB. Otherwise it was impossible to turn it on/off properly because of the annoying toggle type standby / power on command that most 3rd party devices have.

Thanks!

Yeah, I had that same problem with my TV, a Samsung, that I also built a BL1000 receiver for. I used the usb port on the tv, which is only on when the TV is on, for sensing. Although, I am using the discrete codes for on and off on the TV, but if you use the original remote or the the TV set itself, then you're toast.

The sensing in the BM is simply wire from the outputs of IC5 and IC6 (which turn on the lights) with a voltage divider to get a reasonable voltage. Works a treat.

/  Johan

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 8:03 PM

Bad day at Elnas

In one receiver every and each one of these 10/25 were more or less popped, all other values were not.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 8:04 PM

Do anyone know what is this bass element in S55? It doesnt look exactly like "high-end"

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Fri, Jun 14 2013 3:11 PM

Among 10,000 other projects I have managed to dig up my reproduction BeoVox 2500. This time they are going to be passive and I just finished the second filter pcb. Getting soldered up today! Details to follow.

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Fri, Jun 14 2013 3:13 PM

Guy:

I didn't know anyone else on here listened to Medina! Yes - thumbs up

Beo4 'til I die!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Jun 14 2013 6:10 PM

No one else has realised that Danish audio is designed for Danish artists ... simples! Smile

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Tue, Jun 18 2013 7:04 PM

Spent last night buttoning up the final touches to the new passive external crossovers for my reproduction BV2500s.

All I have to say is WOW. Surprise

Beo4 'til I die!

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Sat, Jun 22 2013 5:32 PM

Finally I finished my variac. 

//Bo.
A long list...

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

BO:
Finally I finished my variac.

With dim bulb, no bypass ??

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Jun 22 2013 10:48 PM

Covert volume control for dinner parties - total cost under a tenner ...

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 5:26 AM

Guy:

Covert volume control for dinner parties - total cost under a tenner ...

LOL, hopefully no one plays footsie at your parties 

BeoNut since '75

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 8:59 AM

I'm currently working on my bachelor thesis... Big Smile

But it's not as funny as repairing or refurbing electronic stuff. Wink 

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 4:30 PM

Søren Mexico:
no bypass ??

No bypass! I did't think of that, but I'm planning to introduce a switch and a row of lamp holders so you can change lamp wattage by the switch.

//Bo.
A long list...

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

BO:

Søren Mexico:
no bypass ??

No bypass! I did't think of that, but I'm planning to introduce a switch and a row of lamp holders so you can change lamp wattage by the switch.

Good idea, can you still buy lamps in Sweden, here in Mexico I have to search for them.

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 12:06 AM

Søren Mexico:
can you still buy lamps in Sweden

It's getting harder, but you can still find clear glass halogen lamps.

//Bo.
A long list...

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I need to make some room now to get this Beocenter 9300 into good shape.  I was fortunate (I think) to find this locally for practically nothing.  The unit seems to work except for the CD player.  The cassette and radio work.  The doors open and close smoothly without any problems.  On the CD, the disk makes a racket when it tries to play so I am guessing the mechanism that holds it in place may not be engaging.  Hopefully that is just a mechanical fix.  I really should start in on the Beomaster 8000 waiting in line but if this is a quicker fix I might let it cut in line. Cosmetically it isn't in too bad a shape.  There are a few small scratches and the rear grill covering the hookup area has a small broken piece out of the plastic.

-sonavor

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Jun 30 2013 12:56 AM

It looks like the CD clamper is not moving into position to handle the disk.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sun, Jun 30 2013 8:13 AM

Possibly the CD module is dislocated during transport (it sits on some springs). You'll need to open the top (watch out for the glass panels falling!).

Then you can load a CD manually by carefully moving the tip that is normally operated by the groove in the lid. If it plays fine, then make sure the module is correctly in place and put the top back on making sure that the mechanism engages the lid properly.

--mika

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

After the top cover is in place, and the CD door closed, you can adjust the lateral position of the CD, by 2 screws underneath the CD on the bottom metal chassis.

Place the BC9300 on a table, with the CD portion protruding over the table edge, and then you can reach underneath.

Loosen the screws only, do NOT remove them!

Menahem

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

This Beocenter is missing some of the trim pieces for the glass panels (and they were already loose).  So I removed them for now and found a source for some replacement trim pieces.  With the glass panels out of the way I removed the screws for the lid and opened it up.  Now that the lid is up, the CD clamper is in place.  In this position I should be okay to operate the CD and test it out?

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I now see what the problem most likely is...

Someone attempted to repair this unit previously.  Looking under the CD lid you can see some sloppy glue attempt.  Obviously the positioning of those plastic tracks are critical.  Are those normally adjustable or were they originally molded to the lid and likely broke off?  Any suggestions for repair other than find a replacement lid?

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Jun 30 2013 10:17 PM

My mistake. That is just white grease.  With the unit opened up I am able to play a CD now.  However, I have to gently press down on the clamper as the CD spins up or there is a vibration that stops it from starting.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is a picture of the CD player working.  The problem appears to be with the clamper arm assembly.  If I leave it to try and start playing or stop playing without applying a small amount of pressure on the arm, the assembly jerks a little and makes a racket.  Once playing though, it seems to work fine.

Playing with it some more it looks like there just isn't enough down pressure by the clamper arm to handle the start up and stopping actions. 

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I have a little bit of success now. Partially removing the CD transport, I adjusted the three clamper arm screws and am able to get the CD to start and stop without having to manually help it. I need to play some more with adjustments though as there is some skipping in the CD while it plays.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 2:59 AM

I fine tuned the adjustments on the three screws and now the Beocenter CD player is playing correctly (without any assistance from my finger Smile).

Now I just need the plastic trim pieces for the two glass panels to arrive and I can start seeing how I like this great looking piece of equipment.  It is a little modern for what I usually go for.  My favorite Bang & Olufsen receiver is still the Beomaster 4400 but I could resist picking up this newer unit.  Plus the Beocenter has a CD player and a cassette deck.

I have a big Yamaha power amplifier I need to try and get back working next.  After that I am really hoping to be able to start on my Beomaster 8000.  It has been staring at me for a few months now.

-sonavor

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 5:13 PM

sonavor:

Plus the Beocenter has a CD player and a cassette deck.

+1 Yes - thumbs up

Have you listened to the cassette section yet?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Its so nice when you once in a while find equipment that is repairable with just a little adjustment and LTC

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Working on a record cleaner, Rich pushed me, he want a motor driven cleaner, I gave it some thoughts, but decided on a manual with protection for labels.

Here the beginning of a prototype, the cleaning pads are made of a 3M cleaning pad (spongy) covered with microfiber cloth. Today I´m going to make the shaft with covers for labels.

Page 18 of 33 (1309 items) « First ... < Previous 16 17 18 19 20 Next > ... Last » | RSS