Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What Are You Working On Now

This post has 1,308 Replies | 20 Followers

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 6:05 PM

First thing that came in my mind: How do you manage static elecricity?Confused

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

A drop of dish soap in the cleaning liquid will do that

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 6:33 PM

Rich:

sonavor:

Plus the Beocenter has a CD player and a cassette deck.

+1 Yes - thumbs up

Have you listened to the cassette section yet?

I did a quick listen to make sure it can play a cassette.  It sounded okay but I need to try several and listen for a while.  I'll need to try the recording capability too.  Last night I listened to four CDs all the way through to get used to the sound and make sure the CD player is really okay.  The CD testing passed.  I have been just listening to headphones right now because it is easier for me right now.  I'll connect my RL 60.2s up later today and listen some more.

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 6:50 AM

Søren Mexico:

No need to ground or something like that...?

I have one diskwasher somewhere behind my records, probably very similar construction. Only liquids has ended.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Orava:

Søren Mexico:

No need to ground or something like that...?

I have one diskwasher somewhere behind my records, probably very similar construction. Only liquids has ended.

Use 3 parts distilled water, 1 part ISPA and to a 1 liter mix a teaspoon dish washing soap, most record cleaners are made of plastic and I have seen non with a grounding connector

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member

Uppdated

//Bo.
A long list...

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

BO:

Uppdated

Nice big pic, love the lamps and the switches, the 60 Watt is not properly lined upBig Smile

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 12:29 AM

Hope everyone is well, I seem to have other priorities these days so don't get here very often. Thought I might start a new fashion... Timelapse your projects / work :-)

Feedback appreciated, gonna do a rather nice white Beogram 4002 next :-)

Youtube video

Olly

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Nice one Step, sorry we dont see you so much anymore, and high lighting your links has nothing to do with membership level,

If I have to do a timelapse repair, I would have to buy fruit software or item, Flappo will dance for a week, so I wont do it.Big Smile

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 10:07 AM

Søren Mexico:

If I have to do a timelapse repair, I would have to buy fruit software or item, Flappo will dance for a week, so I wont do it.Big Smile

You have completely lost me there Soro!

Olly

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 11:40 AM

One pair of S55's cooking up

s55b.jpg.aspx

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 5:55 PM

A tip I got from a long time restorer and collector of records - He use to take his records to places that had the best machines, but found in the end, that the best method, was to make a mixture of Isopropyl and small amount of washing up liquid, and use a high quality, fine bristled decorators brush to apply the mixture 1/3 disk at a time, rinse with tap, then final rinse with RO. I can say his vinyl is spotless and noiseless, so have started using the same process myself now!

Olly

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Step1:

A tip I got from a long time restorer and collector of records - He use to take his records to places that had the best machines, but found in the end, that the best method, was to make a mixture of Isopropyl and small amount of washing up liquid, and use a high quality, fine bristled decorators brush to apply the mixture 1/3 disk at a time, rinse with tap, then final rinse with RO. I can say his vinyl is spotless and noiseless, so have started using the same process myself now!

What is RO ?

I have cleaned all my records about one year ago, used the record cleaner hand piece from Audio Technica (flanel fabric) , and my destilled water, IPA and a drop of dish washer mix. I made a 2 liter mix, and wetted the cleaning piece thoroughly, cleaned each record all around more times and then dried off with a micro fiber rag. Yesterday I wanted to test my own cleaning pad (spongy underlay covered with microfiber fabric), just to be sure the glue and materials were resistant to the cleaning liquid. Using my own liquid I cleaned a new record, before that the record has been cleaned with Audio Tecnica´s cleaning liquid and their hand piece. My cleaning pad, only moistened,  came out slightly dirty, I then found a record that has been cleaned one year ago, cleaned with the same pad, it came out even more dirty, I now found a record that has been cleaned and played frequently within the last year, my pad came out even more dirty. Remember my pad was only moistened with my own cleaning liquid.

Here the compare pics, one new unused and the dirty one after cleaning 3 records, I wonder I wonder

Today I finished the shaft with label protectors, and will continue with the basin/box

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 9:32 PM

Soren I am sorry I meant distilled - RO is similar but not as pure in many respects!

Not sure what you are saying, your not happy with your current method? I think with the paint brush the bristles really get into the grooves so all dirt is lift out, with no damage to the vinyl surface. I guess the convenience of a semi automatic or assisted system would be ideal, I just wonder if it can ever be quite as thorough?

Olly

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I´m NOT happy with the Audio Tecnica system, but I´m surprised of how much dirt I got on my homemade pad, and that from records I thought clean.

I´m now more than convinced that microfiber is the way to go, microfiber threads are far thinner than any bristles.

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 11:23 PM

Ah I see now. You could argue that bristles are easily small enough to get into the depths of any groove though! (Just playing devils advocate!)

Olly

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Step1:

Ah I see now. You could argue that bristles are easily small enough to get into the depths of any groove though! (Just playing devils advocate!)

Oh yes just took a look at the grooves vith a 10X thread counter, and they are big enough for camel hair bristles to get in there.

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 7:23 AM

ABRs replaced with BRPs

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 5:16 PM

Just occasionally (actually quite rare) you find that the servo motors in Beogram 400x players has a short, and has taken out the H bridge, as I have found with the latest example on my bench.

The Leaf brushes are very delicate and anything up to 40 years of use is starting to take its tole on the brushes.

One temporary solution is to pull the back off the motor, and break away the offending leaf. It is not by any means a great solution, as the motor is now relying on just two leafs, but it will give a little bit more life to these amazing motors! Test the motor on a bench power supply and make sure they start up at about 0.5V, and very smoothly too. I have a video showing how amazing these little things are they generally start at about 250mV !!!!! and I have kept one spinning down to 50mV!!!!!!! I will upload it :-)

until I have tested a replacement for these motors, and if there are no alternatives available, it might give a little more life to the original motor! I replace the original transistors with ZTX transistors, and if this solution is considered (and I repeat is only temporary!) it is worth considering a small inline fuse to protect the H bridge should any more of the fingers fail, which I think will be fairly inevitable!

There were some near identical coreless motors made by the same company on ebay some time ago, and rather stupidly I did not buy one to try (in my defense they are not cheap, but half the amount than buying direct from the company!) :-( So waiting for more to appear, which I have no doubt they will!

I just want to clarify why the motor presents a dead short when a brush fails - The brushes on these motors consist of three simple bronze fingers, leafs or whatever you want to call them. There are 2 lots of 3 leafs, sitting 180 degree apart, with a very fine commutator between - This commutator is much finer than you would find in a regular motor. When the motors approach end of life, the brush leafs have largely worn through, and because the commutator is so small, a very small area becomes weak, and eventually breaks. This leaves a short leaf sitting at the apex of the commutator, which might be ok whilst the motor continues running in the same direction - However, reverse the motor, and this is where the problem now arises! The leaf jams in one of the commutator gaps, and is flipped over to the other side, contacts one of the opposite leafs and bam, dead short - transistors release their magic smoke!

Olly

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Yes, I've got a beautiful motor here, but with bad leaves, and there's nothing to be done.

I use the ZTX450 NPN and ZTX550 PNP, but I end up having a lot left over after cherry-picking for matching hFe. At least they're cheap.

Menahem

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 5:56 PM

I don't think there is a need to match Menahem, just use them as is :-)

Olly

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

According to the circuit, this is a place I'd definitely like to match, for stablest motor operation, at the lowest heat radiated.

Whenever I see what I like to call the NPN and PNP "holding hands" and looking in a mirror, similar to the output transistors in an amplifier, so I invest a little extra effort in matching.

On this PCB, it's already a known problematic and stressed area of the circuit, with the PCB's turning dark brown under the heat-discolored metal can transistors, and I think the goal should be to do whatever's necessary to eliminate that unnecessary wear and tear, as much as is practicable.

hFe matching is a fairly painless and effective way of doing this.

Just my 0.02 !

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 7:09 PM

A  lowly speaker cross

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 7:41 PM

Ricardo:

A  lowly speaker cross

Hang on, you weren't Ricardo??? What the heck have I missed while I been gone :-p

Olly

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 7:47 PM

Video I promised - I turned the video upside down so the meter was right way up, in case anyone was wondering!

http://youtu.be/aYpOfPtCre0

Olly

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 8:08 PM

My next two projects Big Smile

Wish I had more time, this B&O certainly keeps me busy...

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 10:18 PM

I got these units form a good friend of mine so probably will get three units in full working condition again!

Same thing with the 2500 Cubes.

Brengen & Ophalen

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 11:49 PM

Leslie:

I got these units form a good friend of mine so probably will get three units in full working condition again!

Same thing with the 2500 Cubes.

Help out those of us who are historically challenged! What are those? I know what the cubes are but the other has me stumped.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Those are boxes from the tube radios, but which ones?

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Menahem Yachad:

Those are boxes from the tube radios, but which ones?

If I am not wrong, those cases are from BEO610 (TR26). So no tube radio but very early transistor radio by B&O (maybe even the first one)...

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Looks like you're right - what a beautiful machine!

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

I agree, one of the nicest radio produced by B&O. It had simply no luck being produced in the same year as the famous BM900 came to the mark.

But nevertheless the one of the "must-haves" for every B&O collector.

My exemplar (thanks Leslie) is in everyday usage and even my wife loves it :-)

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 9:08 PM

"the_o_master" is right. Had these units already a year ago but now is the time to put my hands on soon! Let's see if I can make them in the same shape as the one I sold to "the_o_master".

Brengen & Ophalen

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Yes Leslie, it was a good work.

But you have promised also to get a a main power unit for me. I didn't get an offer from you jet ;-)

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 9:18 PM

Oops, so many mails and I forget things as I'm getting olderHuh?

Send me a pm (again)!

Brengen & Ophalen

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Tue, Jul 23 2013 12:51 PM

Very excited to see the cubes get the Leslie touch.

I'm getting the itch for another cube project - but I must hold off!  Must.... finish.... other... projects. Unsure 

Stick out tongueLaughing

Beo4 'til I die!

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 8:52 AM

Very happy with the keypad on my latest Beogram - I like to think the switches were originally this sensitive, as there is some original B&O blurb that talks about the sensitivity of these keys being 0.5mm, don't suppose anyone actually remembers do they?

Beogram 4002 switch overhaul

I should attribute Ausie Geoff with this wonderful idea, I have only practiced to near perfection :-)

Gonna try a Beocord 5000 as these seem to be the worst of the lot! Maybe a nice little mod for the power on / off too???

Olly

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 6:28 PM

Working on a naughty Niles SI-275 amp. The last, and I mean last, piece of equipment I expected to be poking around inside of!

Beo4 'til I die!

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 6:59 PM

Evan:

Working on a naughty Niles SI-275 amp. The last, and I mean last, piece of equipment I expected to be poking around inside of!

I believe this is where I say: 

"Pictures, or it didn't happen."

Is that the series you can daisy chain amp after amp after amp?

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 9:51 PM

I have pictures but cant post them - switching ISPs and currently don't have internet at home. All of this is coming to you from my cell.

Yes, this can be daisy chained but after a few amps or so you will need a distribution amplifier. The signal inputs and outputs are just paralleled with some resistors in between.

I highly recommend the amp. It's an extremely well designed amp. Having it opened up revealed a double wound toroid and independant left and right power supplies. I measured DC offset earlier and the left was 9mV and the right 10mV. Just brilliant.

I just wish I could figure out the problem!! The thing measures like it's brand new and I can't find a single fault! Baffling.

Beo4 'til I die!

Page 19 of 33 (1309 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next > ... Last » | RSS