Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Upgrading Masterlink system with Beolab 28 and multiroom solution

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK Posted: Tue, Jan 11 2022 5:25 PM

I’m in the lucky situation that my wife actually likes the Beolab 28’s and think it is a nice solution to have the sources build into the speakers, and that they sound absolutely great.

We have a Essence MK I, which is crap and will be ditched very soon. With this “BL 28 window” open, I have started to re-think my whole setup, because I’m still in the master link world (and a little bit MCL), and I’m not ready to change all my B&O.

Investing in BL28’s, a NL/ML converter and some Core’s will actually give me a very functional multiroom solution using much of the equipment I already have, but I need a few advice's and a opinion if it will work as I expect.

You can see my current setup in the first drawing here. (next post will show my planned setup and my questions)

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Tue, Jan 11 2022 5:29 PM

What I expect to get out of the update:

-Full integration of all audio sources in a Multiroom setup throughout the house, including my 20+ years old Beocenter 9500/Beogram 9500
-Video sources will be “stand alone” systems. If I later on want to add Video sources to the multi room setup (for joining audio), that can be done with additional NL/ML converters, but for now I will not go for that.
-Beolab 28 will be connected to BV7-55 with Powerlink and to LAN with a cable to the first BL28. Connection between BL28 will be wireless.
I can read
from Razlaw in the BeoLab 28 thread, that when Powerlink is active from BV7-55, the speakers are just a part of the 5.1 setup, and cannot be controlled individually as BL28, and when BV7-55 is off or in speaker mode 1, I will be able to control the BL28 for music and include it in the multiroom, which is just fine.

Questions:

Do you see any challenges using BL28 as front speakers in my 5.1 setup with the BV7 as mentioned? Is there any limitations in the use of BL28 as multiroom speakers, when they also are part of the 5.1 setup as well (Narrow/wide mode etc.)
Would you keep the Beolab 2 in the 5.1 video setup?
Is it correct, that if I connect Beocenter 9500 and Beogram 9500 to a NL/ML converter, I will be able to see and control all the Beocenter sources (Radio, CD, Tape and Phono) in the B&O app and in a Beoremote One?
since there is no speakers connected directly to the converter, I probably need to join from BL28 or another room to hear the sound, but that is okay – could that be set up automatically with “MyButtons” on a BeoRemote One or in a Halo if I have a Halo in the living room?
Options for BC 9500 and BV7-55 should be set to 1 on both, since they are not connected through ML anymore, correct?
What is the optimal solution for remote control in the living room?
If I control the sources in the living room with a BR1, can I just have the BV7 and ATV in the TV listed sources, BC/BG9500 sources in the Music list together with BL 28 ? – or do I have to switch between a “Beo4 mode” and normal IR mode every time I change source between BV/BC/BG and the sources in the BL28?
And any difference if BR1 is IR or BT version? (I have Apple TV PUC on the BV 7)
Any additional advance from a Halo compared to a BR1?
I have read that the latest update for BL 28 made DLNA sharing possible, so if I play DLNA music through one of the Cores, I can now join that on the BL 28 (with BV7-55 in standby or in speaker mode 1).
What about internet radio (B&O Radio/TuneIn) in the multiroom setup. If I start a radio station on the BL28’s, can I join that from the Core’s and the A6, or do I have to start the radio station again from a Core in TuneIn as well – and will there be a sync problem here?
What happens if I keep the Master link wires between the Beocenter and the BV10 in the living room and BV 6 in the Bedroom? Will that mess up the controls for BC/BG 9500, or will I be able to join music on the BV10/6 ? I read the manuals in a way so I need to add a NL/ML converter for each BV to get full control of both the old BC sources and the BV’s in a multi room setup
To get the Core’s and the Beolink Passive’s to work properly (turning on and off), I need to buy the special cables from Steve at Sounds Heavenly, correct? (B&O cables are not turning the Core into standby as far as I can read here in the forum)

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Tue, Jan 11 2022 5:31 PM

next post awaiting moderator...

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Tue, Jan 11 2022 6:39 PM
Next post is with the moderators…
MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 7:25 AM

I'm not sure how this moderator thing works, so I'll try again

What I expect to get out of the update:

-Full integration of all audio sources in a Multiroom setup throughout the house, including my 20+ years old Beocenter 9500/Beogram 9500
-Video sources will be “stand alone” systems. If I later on want to add Video sources to the multi room setup (for joining audio), that can be done with additional NL/ML converters, but for now I will not go for that.

-Beolab 28 will be connected to BV7-55 with Powerlink and to LAN with a cable to the first BL28. Connection between BL28 will be wireless.
I can read from
Razlaw in the BeoLab 28 thread, that when Powerlink is active from BV7-55, the speakers are just a part of the 5.1 setup, and cannot be controlled individually as BL28, and when BV7-55 is off or in speaker mode 1, I will be able to control the BL28 for music and include it in the multiroom, which is just fine.
My planned setup:

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 7:29 AM

Do you see any challenges using BL28 as front speakers in my 5.1 setup with the BV7 as mentioned? Is there any limitations in the use of BL28 as multiroom speakers, when they also are part of the 5.1 setup as well (Narrow/wide mode etc.)
Is it correct, that if I connect Beocenter 9500 and Beogram 9500 to a NL/ML converter, I will be able to see and control all the Beocenter sources (Radio, CD, Tape and Phono) in the B&O app and in a Beoremote One?
since there is no speakers connected directly to the converter, I probably need to join from BL28 or another room to hear the sound, but that is okay – could that be set up automatically with “MyButtons” on a BeoRemote One or in a Halo if I have a Halo in the living room?
Options for BC 9500 and BV7-55 should be set to 1 on both, since they are not connected through ML anymore, correct?
If I control the sources in the living room with a BR1, can I just have the BV7 and ATV in the TV listed sources, BC/BG9500 sources in the Music list together with BL 28 ? – or do I have to switch between a “Beo4 mode” and normal IR mode every time I change source between BV/BC/BG and the sources in the BL28?
And any difference if BR1 is IR or BT version? (I have Apple TV PUC on the BV 7)
I have read that the latest update for BL 28 made DLNA sharing possible, so if I play DLNA music through one of the Cores, I can now join that on the BL 28 (with BV7-55 in standby or in speaker mode 1).
What about internet radio (B&O Radio/TuneIn) in the multiroom setup. If I start a radio station on the BL28’s, can I join that from the Core’s and the A6, or do I have to start the radio station again from a Core in TuneIn as well – and will there be a sync problem here?
What happens if I keep the Master link wires between the Beocenter and the BV10 in the living room and BV 6 in the Bedroom? Will that mess up the controls for BC/BG 9500, or will I be able to join music on the BV10/6 ? I read the manuals in a way so I need to add a NL/ML converter for each BV to get full control of both the old BC sources and the BV’s in a multi room setup
To get the Core’s and the Beolink Passive’s to work properly (turning on and off), I need to buy the special cables from Steve at Sounds Heavenly, correct? (B&O cables are not turning the Core into standby as far as I can read here in the forum)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

That is some kind of plan that you have there!

I am not so sure that you have to change that much right away.

Maybe start with adding the 28's to the main tv........and move the BL2 to the Basement Big Smile

I would exchange the Essence MK1 (connected to the Beocenter 9500) with a Core (set to fixed output).

This way you can still access the sources of the Core in the old Linkrooms (via the app).

No NL/ML Converter needed for time being - once you will have to replace the tv in the living room, you might need one.

When you have the 28's in the living room, you have all new sources there right away (at your fingertip).

Means that you can have music/B&O-Radio in the Livingroom and still have access to netradio or music in the bathroom or on the terrasse ( = everywhere where you'd keep the existing ML structure). And with the existing ML you can listen to the Beogram on the BV7 in the livingroom..

If there is one place that is heavily used independently of other activities in the setup, you might start there replacing with the planned Core's - as an example the Wine Cellar Big Smile

I would do it one step at a time, once you need it - please don't just ditch the ML, that you already have.

I have a mixed/grown over the years setup too - don't throw over board what works.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 11:38 AM

Thanks for the reply, MM

My post with my questions is also waiting for moderators - maybe it is because I wrote it all in advance and copied it in, so I posted really fast, and then the systems thinks it is spam...

You already answered a few of my questions, but here comes the full list again. I can follow you in taking it step by step, but you also need to move while the window is still open for new purchased :) - you never know when that will happen again :)

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 11:47 AM

Thanks MM
I just wrote a long answer, but that is also "waiting" for moderator approval - don't know what i'm doing wrong. Is there a limit to the length of the text or something?

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
PhilLondon replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 12:13 PM
One first remark...

I read the Beolink Passive (as speakers), the Beolab 3000 and 4500 have issues working with the Core. I have the Beolab 3000 and the Core and NL/ML Converter (used as a Beolink active) don't turn the speaker on. It is documented in a thread somewhere on the forum.

Also, I’m not sure if they still do the Core with IR. You might want to use a Essence MK II instead. But it may have the same problem with the BeoLink passive.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 12:26 PM
MartinRK:

Thanks MM I just wrote a long answer, but that is also "waiting" for moderator approval - don't know what i'm doing wrong. Is there a limit to the length of the text or something?

I don’t think you are doing anything wrong. I have had multiple posts go to moderation in the past for no apparent reason. One thing that I feel like may trigger it, ironically, is mentioning too many B and O products too many times. Many of the posts I gave had disappear in to moderation fit that description.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Razlaw:
MartinRK:

Thanks MM I just wrote a long answer, but that is also "waiting" for moderator approval - don't know what i'm doing wrong. Is there a limit to the length of the text or something?

I don’t think you are doing anything wrong. I have had multiple posts go to moderation in the past for no apparent reason. One thing that I feel like may trigger it, ironically, is mentioning too many B and O products too many times. Many of the posts I gave had disappear in to moderation fit that description.

Sad stories - I also wonder why?

Yesterday I wrote a rather lenghty post in another thread…..took me ages to do that.

And boom - gone into moderation!

No links, no swearing etc in that….I know pretty well what not to write Unsure

MM

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 2:00 PM

I'll try again, and do it a bit shorter...

Do you see any limitations in the use of the BL 28 speakers as Multiroom speakers when they are connected to the BV as well - here I think on the wide narrow modes etc.

Is it correct, that if I go for the NL/ML converter, I will be able to see and control all the Beocenter sources (Radio, CD, Tape and Phono) in the app and on a BR1? 

Since there is no speakers connected directly to the NL/ML converter in the new setup, I probably need to join from BL28 or another room to hear the sound, but that is okay, but could that be set up automatically with “MyButtons” on a BR1 or in a Halo if I have a Halo in the living room?

And would there be any additional advantage if I go for a Halo instead of BR1?

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 2:20 PM

And a few more questions :)

What happens if I keep the Master link wires between the BV7, the BV10 in the living room and BV 6 in the Bedroom? Will that mess up the controls for BC/BG 9500, or will I be able to join music on the BV10/6 ? I read the manuals in a way so I need to add a NL/ML converter for each BV to get full control of both the old BC sources and the BV’s in a multi room setup

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 2:30 PM
My BL28s are connected to my BV7 by powerlink. That does not impose any limitations on the 28s when they are being used for music independent of the BV7. Also, you mention DLNA to the Core. I believe you can connect the 28s directly to DLNA. I can confirm whether I am right or wrong when I get home later.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 5:27 PM

Millemissen:
No NL/ML Converter needed for time being - once you will have to replace the tv in the living room, you might need one.
Need..... okay not, but is one ones to listen to the BC9500 would make the access and compatibility easier. 

Razlaw:
Also, you mention DLNA to the Core. I believe you can connect the 28s directly to DLNA.
Correct

MartinRK:
If I start a radio station on the BL28’s, can I join that from the Core’s and the A6, or do I have to start the radio station again from a Core in TuneIn as well – and will there be a sync problem here?
Yes you can JOIN the other NL products to the BL28 without a sync issue.

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 6:35 PM

Carolpa:

Millemissen:
Need..... okay not, but is one ones to listen to the BC9500 would make the access and compatibility easier. 

The access and control will work from all rooms, incl the BeoGram, if I go for the converter - can you confirm that?

Razlaw:
Also, you mention DLNA to the Core. I believe you can connect the 28s directly to DLNA.
Correct

MartinRK:
If I start a radio station on the BL28’s, can I join that from the Core’s and the A6, or do I have to start the radio station again from a Core in TuneIn as well – and will there be a sync problem here?
Yes you can JOIN the other NL products to the BL28 without a sync issue.

so if I play a radio station from a Core from TuneIn, I can join that from the BL 28 even though BL28 has B&O Radio and not TuneIn ?

And also the other way around (B&O Radio from BL 28 to a Core and/or Beoplay A6 ?)

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 9:55 PM
MartinRK:

so if I play a radio station from a Core from TuneIn, I can join that from the BL 28 even though BL28 has B&O Radio and not TuneIn ?

And also the other way around (B&O Radio from BL 28 to a Core and/or Beoplay A6 ?)

Yes, both will work. Also, here is a picture of DLNA on the 28s displaying on the Halo.

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 10:05 PM
Great - thanks for showing this

Do you also control the BV without any problems with the Halo ?
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Jan 12 2022 11:23 PM
I can not control the BV7 or my BV10 with the Halo. I do have the ability to turn on audio sources and have them play through the speakers connected to the BV10 using the Halo. There is no volume control. I asked in another thread about this as I do not completely understand the converters and this control of audio sources just appeared after the last Halo software update. I can control my V1with the Halo.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Thu, Jan 13 2022 5:22 AM

MartinRK:

Right

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Thu, Jan 13 2022 6:49 PM
PhilLondon:

One first remark...

I read the Beolink Passive (as speakers), the Beolab 3000 and 4500 have issues working with the Core. I have the Beolab 3000 and the Core and NL/ML Converter (used as a Beolink active) don't turn the speaker on. It is documented in a thread somewhere on the forum.

Also, I’m not sure if they still do the Core with IR. You might want to use a Essence MK II instead. But it may have the same problem with the BeoLink passive. Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons. Other apps: Conslt , The Story Mouse .

Yes, the passive will drive passive build-in speakers in the rooms.

In the wine cellar they are build into wooden wine boxes placed on the shelves with the cables to the passive hidden inside the shelves - can’t change that setup Big Smile

I read in another thread that Steve from Sounds Heavenly can custom build these cables, so I hope it will be doable. If IR eyes are not sold by B&O anymore, I have to find them on the secondhand market.
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

MartinRK:
If IR eyes are not sold by B&O anymore, I have to find them on the secondhand market.

The Core does not have a connection for the IR. Only some early model had it. The essence MKII has this connection.

You'll need a Bluetooth remote, such as the Beoremote One BT, the essence remote...

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Fri, Jan 14 2022 12:03 PM

isn't it the other way around, so the early models didn't have the IR connection?

This thread tells about the difference between Core mk1 and mk2, that has the IR connection (mk2, type no 3051)

Beosound Core Mk1 and Mk2 Differences? - (beoworld.org)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

MartinRK:

isn't it the other way around, so the early models didn't have the IR connection?

This thread tells about the difference between Core mk1 and mk2, that has the IR connection (mk2, type no 3051)

Beosound Core Mk1 and Mk2 Differences? - (beoworld.org)

Correct!

MM

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Oops, sorry!

Well, that's a good surprise then, I own one of the new one and had no idea. But then where do you connect it??

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Fri, Jan 14 2022 2:59 PM
From what I can see, it is in the DPL socket
MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Sat, Jan 15 2022 11:31 AM

Just bought a almost unused NL/ML Converter for 2.800 Dkr (375€), so I can try to play around with my setup

For now I will just try to unplug the BC9500/BG9500 from the ML system, connect it to the converter and see how it turns up in the B&O app.

Since I have Beoplay A6 as the only multiroom device for now, I will try to play the BC/BG through this as a start.

Can't really figure out if I will get any challenges with the BG9500 as N-Radio source together with TuneIn on the A6.

Is TuneIn/B&O Radio considered as N-Radio source in a multiroom setup with Cores and BL28, or is the Phono/N-Radio command conflict a leftover from the good old Masterlink and Beo4 days ?

and I also have to figure out if I can rename the N-Radio to Phono (or BG9500), so I will see that name in the app...

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Wed, Jan 19 2022 5:06 PM

I have installed the NL/ML Converter with the Beocenter 9500/Beogram 9500, and it works perfect controlling all sources through the app Smile

Many of my questions are now answered Smile

I have renamed the converter and added it as a primarily product to the Beoplay A6 in the Beolink settings in the app, and I can see and control the BC sources together with the A6 sources - just great

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Wed, Jan 19 2022 5:44 PM

MartinRK:
I have installed the NL/ML Converter with the Beocenter 9500/Beogram 9500, and it works perfect controlling all sources through the app Smile

Many of my questions are now answered Smile

I have renamed the converter and added it as a primarily product to the Beoplay A6 in the Beolink settings in the app, and I can see and control the BC sources together with the A6 sources - just great

Nice work!

If a Beocenter 9500 source is playing on the A6 and you want to extent this source to other products it is possible the A6 in the app says it can't be extended. Then choose the Beocenter 9500 BLC in the app and extent the playing source from here to other products. 

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Wed, Jan 19 2022 7:18 PM
Carolpa:

Nice work!

If a Beocenter 9500 source is playing on the A6 and you want to extent this source to other products it is possible the A6 in the app says it can't be extended. Then choose the Beocenter 9500 BLC in the app and extent the playing source from here to other products.

You mentioned in another thread that this option to add a primary/secondary Beolink product was possible on the 1. generation of NL products.

My plan is to have BL28 as the main room speaker in the living room where I also have the BC, and add the Beocenter to the BL28 instead as primary Beolink product in the same way as I currently have done with A6, but is that not possible to do?

I’m also not quite familiar with the Beoremote One (still using Beo4/Beolink 5000), but will it be possible to have a “my Button” assigned to e.g. start the Phono source from BC and join it to BL28 with 1 push on the button ?

I must say that it is pretty cool to be able to use a 20 years+ old Beocenter (probably closer to 30 years) in a new Netlink system through an iPhone app, and at the same time being able to use the same system in another room on the old MCL system with a 2 ways Beolink 5000 remote. Well done B&O !
Page 1 of 1 (31 items) | RSS