Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Re-tipping Service in the UK

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Professor David A Flynn JP
Top 500 Contributor
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts 116
Bronze Member
Professor David A Flynn JP Posted: Wed, Jun 17 2015 1:10 PM

For all those who are using B & O turntables I have discovered a wonderful company who do an excellent job in repairing and re-tipping styli.  This company is the EXPERT STYLUS AND CARTRIDGE COMPANY based in Surrey, UK - contact email is:  info@expertstylus.co.uk - telephone 01372 276604.  This company provides you with a full written explanation of what is required for each stylus, and a quote.  I have already had 2 MMC4 re-tipped and one repaired and 2 MMC5s re-tipped excellent job.  Each re-tipping works out at approx. £85.

This company is responsible for looking after the USA National Record Library Collection or so I have heard.  It takes approximately 1 month to 6 weeks.  Covers all ranges of B & O styli repairing and re-tipping.  One of my MMC4 had a complete cantilever repair, even broken off styli present no problems. 

Prof D Flynn

Professor David A Flynn JP LM

Big Smile

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Wed, Jun 17 2015 7:03 PM

That's good to know, thanks David.

Do you know if they can re-tip the MMC20 series? And if they re-place the suspension material?

Lee

ChrisG116
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

I'm back. Some new info and some new requests!

the 1203: it all got fixed. Turned out the cable from the arm had been replaced with one that had stiffened up over time! New cables and a few tweaks and she's good to go. That was about a year a go and a new problem has come up... It's taking ages to pick the arm up. After the first play it takes less time. Maybe the cable again? Going to take it to the chap who fixed it for me last time. Bit worried it's finally shot though as the suspension is very baggy and its sitting a bit low in the case 

the 1200: still nothing but given it to a friend who is a good tinkerer, hopefully he can fix. 

Since I first posted in this thread I've invested a bit more into my hifi system and when the 1203 works it plays like a dream through my A&R A60, and they match each other beautifully aesthetically. I'd love to find someone who can reliably service these decks so one of them will last me for a while. If anyone has suggestions or recommendations for someone UK based that would be very much appreciated. There is some chap on eBay offering repairs but for £200 a deck. I don't mind paying but that's quite a bit. 

Hope me someone here can help. Again. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS