Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

42 VF dust cover

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S Posted: Wed, Jun 24 2015 2:54 PM
Bought myself a 42VF the other day and it has just arrived via post.

Look at the state of the dust cover though. Arrived in a terrible state and it is really annoying because the covers are really rare.

The rest of the unit also needs repair which I will post about later on. I did know about that though!

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Jun 24 2015 3:52 PM
Other issues need sorting: tone arm is all set up wrongly, not sure what has happened there.

This little plastic hook has snapped into 3 pieces. I've glued it back together but I very much doubt it will last.

I'm yet to test it but I imagine it won't be working, I'm prepared to sort that though. I imagine there will be motor issues as there was for my BG1000.

Overall though, with a clean up I think it looks pretty good.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Jun 24 2015 6:12 PM

Oh no. Another one destroyed in the post. Turn to the seller and ask for a refund.

Seems the dustcover was pressed downwards with enough force to bend the tonearm (!), the same force also broke
the holding clip on top of the tonearm rest when that part of the tonearm was pressed upwards.
I suggest you check the tonearm pivot points. They must have seen an immense overload.

Martin

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Jun 24 2015 6:26 PM
Martin,

I think that's exactly what has happened. I am in talks with the seller now so that should be sorted.

I have made some progress. I managed to life the tone arm back into position and it does look much more 'normal' now.

The whole tone arm was pushed inwards like you say and this has definitely damaged the end of the tone arm. I will investigate the pivots next.

Thanks,

Ben
Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Dillen:

Oh no. Another one destroyed in the post. Turn to the seller and ask for a refund.

Seems the dustcover was pressed downwards with enough force to bend the tonearm (!), the same force also broke
the holding clip on top of the tonearm rest when that part of the tonearm was pressed upwards.
I suggest you check the tonearm pivot points. They must have seen an immense overload.

Martin

Agree with Martin, I was just checking my spares, thought I had a tonearm laying around, I do but it is for a 1200 series, so that wont help you

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Ben_S:
Bought myself a 42VF the other day and it has just arrived via post.

Look at the state of the dust cover though. Arrived in a terrible state and it is really annoying because the covers are really rare.

Exactly that happened to me too two years ago, as I got my second 42VF (first one with dust cover)!

The sellers simple do not understand how important the packaging of TT and its cover is (or they are simply not capable/interested to do it properly!)

Shame...

I wish you to find another dust cover in the near future and to manage the rest of technical problems on the TT. Unfortunately I do not have any spare parts but I will ask few friends too...

Good Luck!

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Thu, Jun 25 2015 2:07 PM

Thanks Søren that is kind of you for looking!

And Theomaster, I saw an earlier thread actually where yours looked the same. It is immensely frustrating especially as the dustcover was an optional extra and there aren't too many about as you know!

Hopefully I will find another one soon though and fix the tone-arm issues!

Ben

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS