Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 5 not working and flashing red light

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Pismo
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Pismo Posted: Thu, Oct 15 2015 9:50 AM

Hi there,

I am new to this site so please bear with me if I am not following protocol. I have searched the forum for "Beosound 5 flashing red light" but only found posts on problems with products other than Besound 5.

Here is the issue:

My Besound 5 and Beomaster 5 are the slaves and my Beovision 7 Mk3 is the master. TV and radio worked fine until yesterday evening. When I tried to turn on Radio this morning via the remote in a link room nothing happened. I then went to the room in which the TV and the Besound 5 are located and tried to turn on the system again. Nothing happened. Beosound 5 is neither responding to the remote nor to its wheels. Strangely, even the TV does not work. I noticed a flashing red light on the Beosound 5.

Did a soft restart by pressing the power button on the Beomaster 5 for about 3 seconds. Did not help. Disconnected the TV and the Beomaster 5 from the mains. Waited 10 seconds. Plugged the TV in first, then the Beomaster 5. TV is now working again. Besound 5 remains dead but the red light is not flashing anymore.

What else could I do (please bear in mind, I am not a tech guy)? What is the likely cause? What is a likely cost to fix the Problem?

Thanks for your help.

Pismo

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Oct 18 2015 2:50 PM
Have you tried unplugging just the BM5/BS5 and leaving unplugged for a bit longer than10 seconds? I have had that work with mine.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Oct 18 2015 3:54 PM

Hi Pismo,

Do you have your BM5 connected to the BV7 by Masterlink cable only or is one of the video outputs of the BM5 also connected to the BV7 (for example via DVI to one of the BV7 HDMI sockets, or by VGA cable to the PC input of the BV7)?

If so I would disconnect mains power from both BV7 and BM5 (and also any other ML devices you might have connected elsewhere), power up the BV7 and select whichever input the BM5 is connected to (PC for example, but it depends on how the BV7 is configured). Then wait 30 seconds or so (to allow time for the BV7 curtains to open etc) and then restore power to the BM5 and watch the screen to see what happens. You should expect to see the B&O boot screen for a while, then see the BM5 menus appear after a few minutes.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

HVD
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 37
Bronze Member
HVD replied on Sun, Oct 18 2015 7:22 PM

Hi Pismo

I tried the same. The issue on mine was the motherboard. I had a motherboard replaced, on warranty by B&O. I had a black screen on my BS5 and no response no matter what I tried.

Regards

Henrik

Pismo
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Pismo replied on Tue, Oct 20 2015 4:14 PM

Razlaw, riverstyx and HVD,

Many thanks for your replies.

The BM5 is connected to the BV7 via Masterlink cable only. I have tried several times to power-off both BM5 and BV7 for several hours before plugging them in again. Didn't help. So it sounds that my motherboard has likely died. From previous threads on this forum it appears that getting a new motherboard is a rather expensive excercise. I will call my dealer and will let you know how things develop.

Best,

Pismo

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 12:42 AM
Sorry to hear it sounds like the motherboard. I am sure you have checked the connections for the cables between the BM5 and BS5? I know it is a long shot but perhaps one is loose.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

I have a similar setup.

I would suggest the following with the caveat that you do this at your own arisk. I have had similar "hang-ups" before and I think it is due either to a software update re-boot or possible power outages.

What I have done is re-boot with the switch until you get the choice to start BM5 or recovery.

With a plugged in keyboard - select recovery.

Let BM5 do its thing, then on restart, everything should be OK.

Once all up and running, update all the software

I have done this a number of times without an issue.

Pismo
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Pismo replied on Tue, Jan 19 2016 5:17 PM

Thanks to all for your comments and tips.

It turned out that it was indeed the main board which failed. I had it replaced by the service center for B&O in Frankfurt, Germany for about EUR 600. The board was about EUR 400 and the labour about EUR 200. I had brought it to the service center and picked it up there, so no extra charges for delivery. If you ask your dealer to pick it up at your home and to handle the whole process, you should plan for about EUR 200 on top, I guess.

Everything works perfectly again. Problem solved.

Pismo
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Pismo replied on Tue, Sep 14 2021 1:41 PM

Hi there Beworlders,

It is me again - with a similar issue. After the main board has been replaced back in 2016, the system worked fine until about 2 weeks ago. The issue now is similar but not identical:

It all started one recent morning when the BM/BS5 did not respond to the remote. I did a soft restart, it worked again for several hours, but then the radio which played stopped and an unhealthy noise came out of the loudspeakers. Did another soft restart which did not help. Repeated the soft restarts several times, disconnected the BM5 from the mains, did another soft restart, then it worked again - but just for a few hours when the problem occurred again.

It seems that the system is still working but something causes it to "crash". Either the music stops after some time and that's it, or the music stops and I hear that unhealthy noise coming out of the loudspeakers, or, after the system has worked flawlessly for several hours and I have turned it off, it does not power up the next morning.

What I noticed at the times the system is not working properly is that even when you press the power-off button on the remote for several seconds, the red/green diode on the back of the BM5 stays green while it should, I believe, turn from green to red when you press the power-off button on the remote. At the same time you can see a red light within the housing of the BM5. At times when the system works flawlessly, the diode on the back turns from green to red on power-off and there is no red light inside the housing of the BM5.

I will share the fix of the problem once I know it. Hopefully, it is not the main board again (it would be the third main board for this device!). In the interim, if anybody has a good tip, please let me know.

Pismo

cooldude
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Bronze Member
cooldude replied on Wed, Sep 15 2021 8:34 PM

This could be many things.

The intermitted crashes could be a number of things :
First thing to check is the fan inside. The system goes into protection when it gets too hot. 
Mine had similar symptoms and got resolved after changing out the fan. So check the temp of the beomaster.  It should never feel 'hot' when in use.

It could also be a faulty hard drive.  The machine will l lock up when it can't read certain sectors it needs to run.

Let us know if you find the fault !

Cooldude

Bouncer
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
Bouncer replied on Wed, Dec 15 2021 2:28 AM

Hello All,

My BS5 has the same problem.  It works fine for a couple of days and then and solid red light and becomes non responsive.  I presume the system has crashed.  I opened up the BM5 and cleaned up the dust and it would work for a couple of weeks and crash again.  Just wondering if I could preserve it by shutting down the system when not in use and re-boot again when needed? But how to shut it down?

Also if it is the hard dish missing a beat, can I replace it?

Thanks.

allenedmonds
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member

There must be a reason why these unit do not cost more then 800€ nowdays even with the ripper and a floor stand..sad they were such darlings when they came out

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS