Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab Penta MK3 restoration .... again....

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Christian
Not Ranked
Bassum, Germany
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Christian Posted: Fri, Sep 10 2021 10:43 PM

Hello experts!  

Two years ago I accidentally acquired a pair of relatively well-preserved Beolab Penta MK3s.  Since then, I've been happy every time I listen to music.  Last year I changed the mid-tone surrounds because the foam had decomposed into a sticky mass.

Now I have been quietly reading along in the forum and have come to the conclusion to work up the amplifiers and crossovers.  Since it will probably take me a long time to do this, I looked for another working pair of Pentas and finally found them last weekend.  The speakers are now disassembled, and I swapped the first two capacitors in the power supply. (I bought a complete set from Beoparts).

Despite being 25 years old, the old capacitors still have their printed value of 10,000 yF ... I am amazed! 

Now my first questions: Does it make sense to swap the power transistors now?  The amplifier is now disassembled, and the transistors MJL 3281A ISC and MJL 1302A ISC cost 30, - € ...not the world ...

And what is still to be done?  I have read about the improvement of the crossovers according to The_Bogener, but can not find any details! 

Can you help me?  

Regards 

Christian 

(Aunt Google translate the text)

david656
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Silver Member
david656 replied on Mon, Sep 13 2021 11:35 PM

Hi,

Congrats on your multiple pair of Penta speakers. I did a repair video that might help you/give you some thoughts for service repair in the future. https://youtu.be/psY_RV1NjHM

I replace all main board capacitors, the 2 large power supply capacitors, trim pots, OPAMPS and the 6 main power transistors. Links to parts used are in the description.

I replaced the 6 large transistors to show how to do it, but it seems to be an optional job in many peoples eyes. I believe as long as the ones you have are not faulty it isn't a necessary repair.

I will be doing a crossover video soon.

Hope the above gives you some helpful tips.

Bristol based B&O fan with a collection including the following: BC9500, Beogram 9500, Beosystem 3, BeoVision Avant DVD 32, AV9000, Beolab 3500, Beolab 3000s, Beolab 4s, Beolab 6000s, Beovox Pentas, Beovox 3000s.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS