Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Make Beolab + Playmaker Airplay 2 compatible

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

wwwlucas
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
wwwlucas Posted: Fri, Dec 17 2021 11:03 AM

Hi!

Right now my setup is this: Beolab 6002, Playmaker. Works perfectly. But now I have some Airplay 2 speakers in the room and I want the Beolab 6002 to join the Airplay 2 party. But how?

I do have an Airport Express with Airplay 2. But when I connect it to the playmaker (red/white to minijack cable), the sound on the Beolabs is very low (als when I put the 6002 in Line mode). Don't know why this is.

How do I make the 6002 speakers Airplay 2 compatible? Do I need a different cable between Airport Express and Playmaker? Buy a DAC: airport express to DAC to Playmaker?

Thanks for your responses!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

If only AP2 is needed there is another - and cheaper - solution.

Get a https://www.belkin.com/uk/speakers-headphones/speakers/soundform-connect-audio-adapter-with-airplay-2/p/p-auz002/

and connect that to the line-in of the Playmaker.

This also maintains the option of controlling the volume with a Beoremote (if prefered).

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

wwwlucas
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
wwwlucas replied on Fri, Dec 17 2021 11:11 PM

What's the difference with the Airport Express? Will the sound not be very low with this Belkin device?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Sorry I can’t tell - I’d simply try it out, if I was in your situation (there might be other similar devices on the market.

I just felt, that the Hall Audio Streamer (which I know well) is a bit expensive, if just AP2 is needed.

By the way - I do not understand the reason why the APE should have such a low sound output.

Are you sure that it isn’t just a matter of configuration of the device….usually people recommend that.

MM

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Sat, Dec 18 2021 1:49 AM

To get standard Line-Out voltage from an AirPort Express, I believe you must set your sending device (iPad running Spotify, or iMac running iTunes) to maximum volume when playing to the AirPort.  (iOS remembers distinct volume settings for AirPlay / internal speaker / headphone jack -- so you won't be blasting when you switch back from AirPlay.  Also, for AirPlay2, iOS maintains different levels on a per-device basis, so your max-vol setting for the AirPort Express doesn't mean you'll be destroying your BeoSound 1.)  

Evidence: On my BeoCenter 9500, if I set the front panel volume so that FM stations and the CD sound reasonable; at *that* given volume setting, to get the same perceived loudness from "Aux", I must use the iPad and AirPort Express (2nd gen.) at max.  (The same max-volume output is required, though I hesitate to mention it here,Whistle on a Bose LifeStyle 12 to match its FM and CD levels with an AirPort Express (1st gen.))

The Belkin SoundForm Connect is getting some bad reviews on amazon, also it's no longer at its $80 sale price, back up to $100.  Yes, many of the complaints are about the price, but there are enough about the connectivity to believe they have bugs yet.  The Hall Audio device also has an HDMI input so you can drive direct from your TV as an alternate source, which makes it worth its extra price in some setups.

wwwlucas
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
wwwlucas replied on Sat, Dec 18 2021 10:59 AM

Thanks for the responses!

Anybody experience with the Argon Solo? 

https://argonaudio.com/products/solo

wwwlucas
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
wwwlucas replied on Sat, Dec 18 2021 1:20 PM

I'm a fool!!!

I forgot to turn up the volume on the Playmaker, the ring on the front. Now I have my Airplay 2 setup for free. 

Now I'm interested in a DAC (connect via optical cable to Airport Express) to improve the sound quality. The search goes on.

Thanks for the responses!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

There you go Stick out tongue

I am not so sure that you’ll need to search much.

A serious examination of the APE shows that it actually is quite good for music.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/airport-express-audio-quality-2014.htm

Don’t trust those, who assume that it must be bad, because it is cheap and Apple-made.

Just enjoy the music…..now that the setup is working.

MM

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS