Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Loose BL8000 RCA jack

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Gold Member
BeoFrederic Posted: Mon, Jan 3 2022 10:37 PM
Loose BL8000 RCA jack

There is ‘play’ in the RCA jack when the plug is inserted. Inserting the plug while the speaker is powered up instantly causes a *loud* power hum.

I’ve disassembled the cone. I expected to screw the jack to tighten and (perhaps) solder any loose wires, as shown in this video. https://youtu.be/RgeyUhknUms. However, my jack sub-assembly is differently constructed. I’ve attached a close-up.

The jack is like a crown, with 4 metal flanges pointing up and piercing the pcb board. The flanges are bent, apparently to secure the jack, but as shown they aren’t bent enough to stop the jack’s movement. There’s a gap of a few millimeters, which is what is giving the entire jack the ‘play’ when the plug is inserted. Pushing on the jack from the other side causes the flanges to wriggle a bit.

What’s my next step? Should I place a dab of solder at each of the 4 flanges where I’ve circled in the second pic? Will this secure the jack?

Thank you.

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Gold Member

Evidently this problem hasn’t happened often.  So I’ll reply to my own question, for the benefit of anyone who may chance on this issue  in the future.  

I soldered the 4 points as suggested above.  Doing so a) eliminated to play in the jack, and b) stopped the hum.  So far, the solder is strong enough to hold the jack in place.  Problem solved.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS