Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoSound 5 + LG OLED G1

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

mailgoe
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
mailgoe Posted: Tue, Feb 1 2022 10:47 AM

Hi

A friend has an existing BeoSound 5 System (BeoLab 5 Speakers) and an Avant 55 TV. He wants to replace the TV, and I advised the LG G1 (LG OLED65G19).

I know that the BeoSound 5 has an Aux input, so worst case I would just connect the TV Audio output to that. But what is the best solution, so he can also keep the BeoRemote One and control his TV Sources (HDMI1 IP TV Player and HDMI2 Apple TV) and Volume?

Thank you and best regards
Malte

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

‘The best solution’ was asked:

I know of no solution other than the Sound Center of a BV Eclipse or Harmony - alternatively a DIY solution with a BeoSystem 4.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Gaea
Not Ranked
South of Netherlands
Posts 72
Gold Member
Gaea replied on Tue, Feb 1 2022 12:41 PM

The aux input on the BS5 has a delay and not suitable for tv sound.

You’l need a B&O connection hub, BS Core or Hall Audio Streamer.

for example.

But I once heared that the Beolab5 need an extra connection?

Beosound 5 Encore, Beolab 3, Beolab 11, Beosound Balance Non GVA, H9i

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Gaea:

The aux input on the BS5 has a delay and not suitable for tv sound.

You’l need a B&O connection hub, BS Core or Hall Audio Streamer.

for example.

However, the person mentioned wants ‘the best solution, so he can also keep the BeoRemote One and control his TV Sources (HDMI1 IP TV Player and HDMI2 Apple TV) and Volume’.

How would you do that with a Connection Hub/Hall streamer?

And he has a Beosound5….I assume that this currently is (or was) connected to the BV Avant.

MM 

mailgoe
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
mailgoe replied on Tue, Feb 1 2022 2:02 PM

Exactly, the Avant 55 is right now somehow connected to the BeoSound 5, I will need to check how exactly.

My local B&O sales rep told me now I would ideally buy this device: https://www.designedav.com/en/product/almando-multiplay-surround-decoder-mk2-10

That allows me to connect the BeoLab speakers directly to the Almado device, and use the BeoSound Core as a source as well.

But I guess I cannot use my remote anymore, correct? Did someone of you ever use this device?

mailgoe
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
mailgoe replied on Tue, Feb 1 2022 2:02 PM

Exactly, the Avant 55 is right now somehow connected to the BeoSound 5, I will need to check how exactly.

My local B&O sales rep told me now I would ideally buy this device: https://www.designedav.com/en/product/almando-multiplay-surround-decoder-mk2-10

That allows me to connect the BeoLab speakers directly to the Almado device, and use the BeoSound Core as a source as well.

But I guess I cannot use my remote anymore, correct? Did someone of you ever use this device?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

mailgoe:

Correct - and that is the reason, why I did not mention that device.

There are some users here, who use or have experience with it (and their costumer service).

On the Almando site is is discontinued - it says that there will be a new version in february (which nowadays might not be correct).

P.S. For the control of the external devices mentioned he would have to rely on CEC and/or the original remotes….which may or may not work as well as the B&O PUC controlling.

MM

mailgoe
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
mailgoe replied on Wed, Feb 2 2022 10:11 AM

Thank you for all the help so far. I googled a bit further, which option do you think is the best:

Option 1:
LG TV - Headphone Out - Beolink Converter 1161166 (1611) - Masterlink to BeoMaster 5
According to this post there is no audio delay over MasterLink.
Pros: cheap, and keep as much as is as possible 
Cons: really no delay? 

Option 2:
LG TV - HDMI eARC - Almando - PowerLink to BeoLab 5
BeoMaster 5 - PowerLink - PowerLink Input Almando
Pros: seems to work out of the box
Cons: stuck to the Almando App and ecosystem, and Almando Decoder II not really available atm, "no B&O audio experience"

Option 3:
LG TV - HDMI eARC - Sonos AMP - Analog Line to BeoLab 5
BeoMaster 5 - Analog Line Out - Sonos Amp Analog In
Pros: keep the BeoLab speakers, and easy Sonos and AirPlay 2 compatibility, available, HDMI eARC
Cons: "no B&O audio experience"

Option 4:
LG TV - Optical Out - Sonos Port - Digital In to BeoLab 5
BeoMaster 5 - Analog Line Out - Sonos Port Analog In
Pros: keep the BeoLab speakers, and easy Sonos and AirPlay 2 compatibility, available, no HDMI eARC, cheaper than AMP (which is not really needed)
Cons: "no B&O audio experience"

lechatsurletoit
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member

Option 1 has no noticeable delay in my setup/ beomaster 5 + 1611 + 9 linked rooms

mailgoe
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
mailgoe replied on Wed, Feb 2 2022 10:38 AM

Are you using it together with a TV, or just an audio source?

lechatsurletoit
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member

With a Sony Android TV.

I use Spotify to listen to music via the TV and can control the TV with my phone from the Goggle Home app or by voice with a Google assistant.

I only have one TV linked, but can listen to it in every room, tough it only makes sense for music (Spotify/Youtube/Tunein).

I use my Beomaster 5 to listen to the radio, I only need to hit the play button on one of the IR eyes I have in each room or on a beosound essence remote in others, it's just so much easier than turning it on the TV then selecting Tunein and a station, or even doing via phone or assistant, then selecting "TV" on the beo4.

I barely listen to CDs anymore, but the sound quality is so much better. I love the looks of the Beosound 5 and hope I can keep it longer.

I don't know if connecting all my TVs, with multiple 1611 would work.

mailgoe
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
mailgoe replied on Thu, Feb 3 2022 11:41 AM

Ok, I bought myself a Beolink 1611 converter and will try like you mentioned.

I realised yesterday that there are currently 4 speakers in the system all connected directly to the Avant TV:
2x BeoLab 5 front and 2x Piega surround speakers.

How can I connect these 4 speakers to the BeoMaster 5? I read here that I can connect up to 8 speakers and also need to switch the settings on the Beomaster to the following:

"

In the BS5 menu, there is an “AudioMaster” submenu that needs to be selected as ON. There is also another menu just below it called “AM”, please set this to AM: 2 or AM: 6.

"

I guess that tells the BS5 to output the sound via the directly connected speakers instead of via the TV?

And one more question:
Right now my friend is using a Beolink Gateway, and I guess that is somehow providing the communication between the Beomaster 5 and Avant 55 and also the BeoRemote One. What else do I need to change, to make the remote at least control the Audio System (CD, Radio etc.) as before? Also I would probably need to change some settings, so that when I press TV on the remote, the Beomaster 5 knows to play now the Line In via Masterlink from the Beolink 1161166 Converter?

lechatsurletoit
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member

If you're playing the TV with speakers connected directly to the Beomaster 5, I can't say if you will hear a delay or not.

My speakers are connected to Beolink actives / passives or I have Beolabs 3500/2000, I do have 2 x 8000 directly on the Beomaster 5, but in a different room than my TV and it's not possible to tell whether there is a delay or not, they are too far apart.

My apartment is almost fully wired with Masterlink cables, each room having at least 1 socket, I added a Beolink Wireless in 1 room that wasn't wired with the transmitter in a room close to it. This setup is a bit different than yours.

If there is a delay, it will be small but would be annoying, on an android TV you can tweak some parameters to remove the delay.

Bottom line is that I don't have the answers to your questions, I can only make good guesses.

mailgoe
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
mailgoe replied on Thu, Feb 3 2022 1:19 PM

I will try now, I read from multiple people that there is no delay using the Beolink Converter.

But can you help me on my other questions:

• How can I connect 4 speakers (2x BeoLab 5 + 2x Piega) with 4 PowerLink connectors to the BeoMaster 5? It has only two PowerLink outputs?
  • After changing the settings of the BeoMaster 5 to Audio Master, do I need to change anything else so that the remote works as before regarding Radio and other Audio only sources?

lechatsurletoit
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Bronze Member

I think that if you use 2 Powerlink Y splitters it could work but you should ask steve@soundsheavenly.com 

I don't know anything about Piega loudspeakers, for sure they need to be active speakers otherwise you need an amp. 

In my setup, the Beomaster 5 needs to be set as AM and in option 2, all functions work as they should with the beo4 remote or the Beosound essence remote. Radio is always the default source so I need to hit the "TV" button on the beo4 to listen to the TV.

I would like to have the TV as a default in my system but I didn't manage this even when the Beosmaster 5 is not in AM mode, I thought that the 1611 would take over and be the Master but it's not the case, maybe I need to do it differently.

Most important, you should plug the Masterlink cable in the 1611 before you plug in the power source otherwise the autoconfiguration doesn't seem to work.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS