Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Newbie - Beosystem 5000 reconditioning

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

tigerdog
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
tigerdog Posted: Mon, Jul 29 2013 5:39 AM

This is my first post here - I really appreciate the great resources on Beoworld.

I recently acquired three 5000-series components to use as period pieces in a classic Southern California mid-century Modern home.  Unintentionally, I seem to have acquired projects: a Beomaster 5000 that runs hot and shuts down, a Beocord 5000 cassette deck that whirs but doesn't open and a Beogram CD5500 that spins but doesn't read CDs.  I've found threads on all of these subjects and it seems capacitors and belts are the "usual suspects".

I intend to tackle the receiver first, then CD and tape as time allows.  I removing and replacing caps is within my skill level but I am not sure at all how to go about adjusting the trim pots on the receiver.  Is there a procedural writeup available?  Also, can anyone recommend a source for parts without scrounging all over the interwebz?

Long shot here, is there an enthusiast in the San Diego/Orange County California area who might be willing to guide me or a reputable service depot in the area?

Many thanks in advance.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Jul 29 2013 5:34 PM

Welcome to Beoworld, and good luck with your system.

The Beogram CD 50 was the CD player for the 5000 system.  The successor of the 5000 system was the 5500 series of components.  And just to add a bit more to the confusion:  there were two turntables.  The Beogram 5000 was a radial deck, and the 5005 was tangential.

Do you also have the MCP (master control panel) 5000?  Not sure the CD 5500 will work correctly as Peter alluded to in your other thread.

As far as a local repair shop - I don't know.  There are at least two places you can ship the equipment to if it comes to that.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Jul 29 2013 5:40 PM

The CD5500 will work fine - the inter component language is Datalink - the remote is just from the remote to the Beomaster. The 5500 is definitely the CD player to have - best CD player B&O made.

Peter

tigerdog
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
tigerdog replied on Mon, Jul 29 2013 6:25 PM

CD5500 is what I have.  It appears to be an early one since it does not have the second centering ridge in the drawer for CD singles.  It's good to know it will work with the Beomaster 5000; I hadn't gotten so far as to testing the units together.  

I do have the MCP5000 remote.  Other than a fracture in the glass in the upper right corner, it seems to work fine.  I was able to set the system clock and it appears to control input source, volume, tone and other functions just fine.

If I do end up needing assistance, are there preferred techs with whom forum members have had good experiences?

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Jul 29 2013 9:56 PM

@Peter - thanks for the clarification and correcting me.

I always recommend Benny Amina, and he has serviced BM1900, BM4000, BG4002, BC8004, BC4500, BC1900, CD X and some non-B&O for me.

Others have recommended Atlantic Systems but I have no experience with them.

tigerdog
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
tigerdog replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 10:54 PM

If I can find a working Philips/Magnavox player with the CDM-2 transport, can I cannibalize its parts to repair the B&O CD mechanism?  The photos on the contoraudio.com articles look very similar. 

Doug

tigerdog
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
tigerdog replied on Fri, Aug 2 2013 11:11 PM

If anyone is still following this thread, I'm happy to report multiple successes thanks to Beoworld!  I haven't done anything like this in 10+ years - I forgot how much fun a guy can have with a soldering iron and a T10 Torx driver.

The receiver is up and working - front panel inoperation was due to sticking/friction of the small plastic fingers that move to release the latches when the solenoid closes.  A bit of PTFE grease did the trick.

The CD player also appears to be working after replacing the infamous C2103.  My sincere thanks to whomever first discovered this as well as whoever suggested the Panasonic FM 47uf/25V substitution. The machine now reads track info off of both commercial and home-burned CDs.  One question, though:  since I'm already inside and have the parts, is it worth replacing the large filter capacitors on the main board and the filter caps on the CD control board, just because of age?

The receiver plays nicely but the heatsinks near the output plugs get quite warm, so in the long term, I expect I'll be replacing the trim pots and teaching myself to set quiescent current in the output stage.  

Next, can someone suggest the correct size (or better yet, a source) for the Beocord 5000 cassette deck drive belts?

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

For belts Dillen is your man.

tigerdog
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member

I've seen many references to Dillen on the forums.  How does one reach him/her?

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sat, Aug 3 2013 2:04 PM
tigerdog:

I've seen many references to Dillen on the forums. How does one reach him/her?

Just search for Dillen on using the search feature and click on his name to get to his profile. From there you can send an email with your question.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Aug 3 2013 3:31 PM

E-mail sent.

Martin

dazzyjay
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
dazzyjay replied on Sun, Jul 19 2015 10:52 AM

hi,I also have a beomaster 5000 that shuts down after about a minute of playing.I suspect because it is overheating as the heat sync gets hot very quickly.how did you resolve this issue?

thanks

Darren

tigerdog
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
tigerdog replied on Sun, Jul 19 2015 3:48 PM

Hi Darren,

I solved my issue simply by cleaning the heat sinks and re-terminating my speaker wires with new plugs, insuring no stray strands were shorting.  There are so many possible causes, it's difficult to say what might be your system's issue.

NickNike
Not Ranked
England
Posts 81
Bronze Member
NickNike replied on Sat, Aug 22 2015 10:45 PM

Dillen is your man. He knows exactly what to do and can supply the (inexpensive) parts. Fixed my 5000.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

If you want to do it the right way look Here and get yourself a manual, and get parts from Martin (comes with installation instructions)

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS