Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 8000 models

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

dug11
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
dug11 Posted: Mon, Apr 9 2012 2:45 PM

hi.

how to check what model of beolab 8000 i have?

there is only serial and model number under the power cable cover

serial: 10818630

model : 6802

thanks

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

You have Mk1 's produced in 1994/5

Regards Graham

dug11
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
dug11 replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 7:46 PM

many thanks for that.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 8:06 PM

Is there a chart somewhere on which s/n's go with which years and models? I looked under the product listings on the main site and couldn't find that info.

I need to get the s/n off of mine and check, I bought them in '97 or '98, can't recall specifically.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Jeff:
Is there a chart somewhere on which s/n's go with which years and models?

There are plenty of charts & lists, all different...

This I think is the most accurate serial number to year of manufacture correlation (covers most products).

As I recall, the Beolab 8000 models were specified down to a single serial number in the instruction leaflet that came with my spare tweeters and upgrade parts, and I have that paper in that famous place called Somewhere. I'll try and take a look tomorrow unless somebody else beats me to it.

--mika

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 7:25 PM

All right, I found the leaflet. These serial numbers don't necessarily correspond to the "marks", but rather to the different designs in the crossover and particularly the tweeter protection network. Anyway, something is different between the following serial number ranges:

1. - 10145230
  2. 10145230 - 14282364
  3. 14282364 - 16992475
  4. 16992475 -

The author of the document even included a time line, but still didn't manage to be unambiguous with the "lower than / between / higher than", so be wary if your serial number happens to be on a border Big Smile

--mika

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 7:54 PM

Interesting, thanks for posting this! I'm going to have to crawl down and look at mine this weekend and see what number they are, like I said I bought them in like late 97 or early 98. I've read that the early ones were more of a 3 way with the woofers operating over different ranges, then they went to the woofers being in parallel over the same freq range but I have no idea which mine are.

Jeff

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 8:05 PM

Jeff:
I've read that the early ones were more of a 3 way with the woofers operating over different ranges, then they went to the woofers being in parallel over the same freq range but I have no idea which mine are.

You're right there, that is explained in the service manual which I now had the sense to consult. Serial numbers less than 10145230 have a passive two-way crossover for the woofers. Speakers with serial numbers starting from 10145230 have ABL and two identical woofers in parallel.

I believe the pre-ABL version is the choice for folks interested in natural sound - this is not reflected in the asking prices, quite the contrary...

The first & second block of serial numbers in my previous post had the old style treble protection circuit, which apparently wasn't effective enough and it was easier to blow the tweeters.

--mika

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 8:12 PM

More good info! Regardless of which ones I have, I like the sound just fine...Smile And I appear to have managed to keep my tweeters intact. I was listening to them with my ear close to the speakers the other day just to check and neither seemed to be missing in action. Knock on polished aluminum of course.

Jeff

jimmydd
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
jimmydd replied on Sat, May 16 2015 12:32 AM

hi mika, any chance of getting an electonic format of the schematic of the 8000 circuit without ABL? I'm interested in comparing the non ABL circuit with my schematic with ABL.

cheers

jim

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS