Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Vintage Beolit Thread

rated by 0 users
This post has 89 Replies | 5 Followers

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S Posted: Wed, Sep 3 2014 4:59 PM

Spent yesterday sorting out my Beolit 600.

It was in a very good shape cosmetically, with no damage at all and battery cover included. Sadly, there was no tuning string in it when I bought it. So having ordered the string from Martin I set to work!

If anyone is looking to do this then I'm sure it has been discussed before, but it is a real pain and takes patience. Martin's advice of masking taping each stage was really useful. Also remembering the process and the exact amount of turns is useful. This is contained in the service manual available on site. There isn't really an easy solution but be patient and you will get there!

The curry 400 is absolutely fine luckily, but I have got spare string if required.

Finally, has anyone found any cardboard tubing that is a good substitute for a battery cover? I need one for the 400! 

Thanks!

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Well done, it's an awful job. I use blu-tack to hold the cord while restringing or just to prevent it from unwinding if I need to disconnect a pulley for other work, etc. I find it easier and more secure than tape.

--mika

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Ben:

Finally, has anyone found any cardboard tubing that is a good substitute for a battery cover? I need one for the 400! 

Thanks!

Try cardboard mailing tubes.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Sep 3 2014 6:59 PM

Mika, Good idea. Will try that next time!

Soren: Thanks, I will have a look for one that fits 4xD Batteries in snugly!

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

I use my wife Devil to hold the string while I route it.

She's already quite an expert at it, having jointly done tens of restrings!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 10 2014 1:16 PM

Rare to see a curry Beolit in such a nice condition.
Very nice. Yes - thumbs up

Martin

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Really nice Beolits, both, the red and the curry one!

I would have the curry version in my collection too and ,more important, I would have also the red one for my wife. Sadly but all the red specimens to be found in the last time on the Ebay were not nice enough...

But I am sure, as always, it will come to me one day unexpected (as all my other B&O oldies which found their way to me in the last years) Smile

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Sep 10 2014 3:04 PM

Thanks Martin! Wink

Theo, I'm sure you will find one, they come up fairly regularly for sale but you sometimes have to wait to find a nice one! 

Jlloydmail
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Jlloydmail replied on Sun, Apr 12 2015 10:12 AM

Hello everyone

I've just joined, so excuse me if I'm not quite in the right place!

I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of the availability of Beolit 600/700 (1975??) antenna.

I bought mine new when I was 17 (All my summer earnings!!) - it's aerial is broken and it's generally battered but works a treat.

I bought another quite good condition recently (as I felt guilty for not looking after mine ) only to find it has had the aerial changed for a non standard one.

So there you have it - 1 Beolit 600 Black / 1 Beolit 700 White ..... no aerials !

Help or suggestions please

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Sun, Apr 12 2015 11:56 AM

Hi,

Welcome to Beoworld!

Good to see you found my old post. They are difficult to find to be honest, occasionally they come on eBay. Check eBay.de from time to time. They are lovely radios though so absolutely worth finding if you can. Of course the other alternative is to try and find another unit for spares/repairs.

You do need to become a silver/gold member to post wanted ads on here however. 

Ben

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Sun, Aug 16 2015 1:26 PM
A little update on this thread

recently found two more Beolit 600 models which will need work. One is this curry one with broken string and missing sliders. It is also missing the aerial tip. Hopefully I will find these eventually. I'm planning to clean the panels and do the tuning string when I have the time and patience.

The other is a lovely violet Beolit 600. Probably the rarest colour and something I've been looking for for a long time.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Hi Ben

Could you take a close up pic of the antenna knob and then with a vernier take measurements of top diameter, bottom diameter and height, Square4 send one to my son in Copenhagen, that one got lost in the Danish postal service, so now I will try to make one out of aluminum in my workshop, If you have a 505 even better, if not from the 600. Post here or mail me, thank you Smile

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 9:22 AM

Is it the same as from the Beolit 500?  I have one and can measure that if it's any use.

Dave.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Dave Farr:

Is it the same as from the Beolit 500?  I have one and can measure that if it's any use.

Dave.

I would appreciate that Dave, and a close up pic if possible.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 1:29 PM

Hi Soren,

just discovered one of our cats had used my tool storage box as a litter tray and pished in it!  Hence the delay whilst I cleaned the calipers.

Anyhow, pictures here with measurements in metric:

The top is very slightly domed (convex) and not perfectly flat.

Not the clearest of pictures.  From the peak of each 'ridge' it's 0.95mm from peak to peak for this groove.  I can't measure the depth.

You should be able to measure the thread size from your original antenna.

If you need anything else, just let me know though I'll be in the UK for the next week.

Dave.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Thanks a lot Dave thats just perfect, good pics

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Aug 19 2015 6:45 PM

Thanks so much Søren and Dave. Really appreciated, I'm currently away in Sweden until the end of the week which is why I've been slow replying. I should be in the UK at the weekend though so if you need anything do ask!

Ben

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Fri, Aug 21 2015 3:39 PM
Slightly separate but a massive thank you to Henrik (square4) from the forum for sending me a new aerial for my Beolit 800. It was previously completely snapped about half way down and now is looking and sounding great! Smile

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Sun, Oct 18 2015 10:11 AM

Getting back to these Beolits today, has anyone found an alternative for the little grey clips underneath the radio?

my purple 600 has, like many others, lost theirs and the previous owner has used some screws instead!

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Mon, Aug 14 2017 8:48 PM

Great thread Ben - I'm envious of your purple 600!

Having grown up with my parents 400 (which I still have) it's the most emotionally connected of all B&O products to me.

To that end the perspex slider has yellowed and have searched for any method to de-yellow it, are you aware of anything that does the trick? I've successfully made vintage Lego bricks less yellow by using a bath of mild hydrogen peroxide, oxy action powder and UV light but apprehensive about testing on an irreplaceable Beolit slider!

Dave

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Aug 30 2017 8:01 AM

MrRoast:

Great thread Ben - I'm envious of your purple 600!

Having grown up with my parents 400 (which I still have) it's the most emotionally connected of all B&O products to me.

To that end the perspex slider has yellowed and have searched for any method to de-yellow it, are you aware of anything that does the trick? I've successfully made vintage Lego bricks less yellow by using a bath of mild hydrogen peroxide, oxy action powder and UV light but apprehensive about testing on an irreplaceable Beolit slider!

Dave

Thanks Dave, good work on your cleaning panels!

Did you try the solution on the slider in the end? 

Ben

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Wed, Aug 30 2017 3:17 PM
Cheers Ben, yes I did after the result with the panels - and I also tried it on a preset cover from a Beomaster 3000. The slider is certainly less yellow but will need another go whilst the preset cover looks much improved.

The slider was pretty dull/scratched so I used Xerapol on it and has brought it up a treat! I can highly recommend it.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Tue, Sep 12 2017 8:53 PM
A belated thank you to both Henrik (Square4) and Theomaster for helping me to finally source a Beopower 600 for use with my Beolits. I've been listening to Radio 4 in the bedroom all evening on this one and sounds fantastic!

toptip
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
toptip replied on Thu, Dec 20 2018 1:04 AM

Hi,

I have a related query. My Beolit 600 is in near perfect shape, works and sounds great. It is just missing the three little plastic pieces (screws? plugs?) that hold the bottom slide in place (which in turn locks the front and back panels in place). I want to make some that look like the originals and I know what they look like from the outside. I just need to figure out how they attach on the the inside, that is, the battery compartment side.

I would very much appreciate a picture if anyone could send me one.

A Elam

NYC

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

toptip:

I would very much appreciate a picture if anyone could send me one.

here you can see what they look like, grey and black vesion:

BR / Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

toptip
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
toptip replied on Thu, Dec 20 2018 4:48 PM

Thank you very much. \

BTW, the battery pack of my Dyson handheld vacuum gave up the ghost the other day. After I bought a new pack, I figured out that the six 18650 Li-ion batteries in the old one were actually OK, it was the electronics that had gone bad. So I put two of them in a holder, for 7.8V in series. With a little sanding of its sides, the holder fit in the Beolit 600 battery compartment well. I am testing to see how long it will let the radio play. It clearly makes the Beolit much lighter. I will upload a picture once I figure out how.

toptip
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
toptip replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 8:25 PM

I wonder if anyone has just ONE of these to spare? I can then make a silicon mold and cast as many as need be, but need one to start with.

toptip
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
toptip replied on Wed, Feb 13 2019 8:25 PM

I wonder if anyone has just ONE of these to spare? I can then make a silicon mold and cast as many as need be, but need one to start with.

square4
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 241
Gold Member
square4 replied on Wed, Feb 27 2019 10:02 AM

Here is a part of my vintage beolit collection.

And i don`t think it`s fair that i have 5 beolit 1000 when Ben S really want one.

Normally i don`t sell out of my collection,but i have decided to sell one to Ben.

So if you still are interested in a beolit 1000 Ben send me a pm.

Henrik.

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Henrik,

that's really amassing collection of Beolit 1000s! Surprise

And very nice from you that you will offer one of them to Ben Thumbs Up

Best regards,

Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

toptip
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Bronze Member
toptip replied on Mon, Apr 8 2019 8:19 PM

And if "Ben" does not want it, I will be happy to take one.

square4
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 241
Gold Member
square4 replied on Tue, Apr 9 2019 4:13 PM

Hi toptip. 

Sorry, but Ben bought it. 

Henrik 

square4
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 241
Gold Member
square4 replied on Mon, Apr 22 2019 12:05 PM

Wednesday i got this beolit 1000 back from repair,it was one i bought in december and it was the meaning that Ben should have it but when i got it home it was absolutely not near like the in the pictures and the price went to high.It came with an broken antenna,an broken scale glas,one panel with teak veneer and one panel with palisander and the res of it was really not good looking.

Anyway ,as you know i chose to sell one from my collection to Ben and sed this one for a totally repair and here is some pictures of it.

priklep
Top 500 Contributor
Slovakia
Posts 103
Bronze Member
priklep replied on Mon, Apr 22 2019 7:34 PM

Hi squar4,

VERY nice looking Beolit. Is it real wood on Beolit pannels? Look sticker for me, beause it looks "ideal".

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Mon, Apr 22 2019 7:34 PM

Square 4, that Beolit 1000 looks wonderful, just like the rest of them. Lovely collection Yes - thumbs up

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Apr 22 2019 8:02 PM

Don't you have a goat skin one? I have a wood one but gace that to a friend but kept my black leather goat skin one. I actually prefer the sound of my  colour 700 and the simplicity of the 700 is also very attractive. I am afraid I am a heretic and have painted mine royal blue!!

Peter

square4
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 241
Gold Member
square4 replied on Mon, Apr 22 2019 10:47 PM

priklep. 

Yes, it is real veneer.

peter .

No i dont have a goat skin beolit, but i really want one. In 1-2 weeks i get another one in oak and it come with a beopower 1000. 

Henrik. 

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Really beautiful Beolit 1000 Henrik!

You're lucky guy Wink

Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

square4
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 241
Gold Member
square4 replied on Sun, Apr 28 2019 12:28 PM

Thanks Theomaster,and many many thanks for telling me about my new beolit 1000.It is a one in a lifetime buy.Here are some pictures.

Henrik.

square4
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 241
Gold Member
square4 replied on Wed, May 1 2019 2:53 PM

Here are some pictures of my BEO 610. I know that it is not a beolit,but inside it is similar to the BEOLIT 800 so i think it is okay to show it here.

Henrik.

Page 1 of 3 (90 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS