Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab Penta 1 Crossover - Upgrade to version 2 worthwhile?

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

AndyF
Not Ranked
Inverness, Scotland
Posts 18
Gold Member
AndyF Posted: Wed, Nov 2 2016 5:19 PM

Just started an overhaul of my 30 yr old Pentas and have been trawling through old forums but not found a definitive answer to the above question. Given that the drivers are the same in both version 1 and 2, as are the quoted crossover points, I have to assume that the changes were made for technical reasons or sonic improvements. Anyone know if either or both apply?

I have already replaced the mid-range foams with Audio Friends' units - excellent fit, highly recommended, and have the cap and upgrade kit from Martin for the amps. I have just pulled the crossover boards (well, 3 of them so far as the fourth seems to be nailed in..) and all seem good with no burnt bits. Only noticeable item is a dented cap - bad form B and O...  Surprisingly all of the mid-range drivers' foams were intact, although very tired looking.

I'd appreciate knowledgeable comments before I order new bits but I don't intend to fit super duper foot thick caps, or replace speaker leads with hawsers to improve sound ; )

One thing I did notice - they seemed a damn sight heavier than I remember them being. Must be getting old. 

Kiwi
Not Ranked
Ohio USA
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Kiwi replied on Thu, Dec 31 2020 3:42 PM

Well now, after days of searching, i finally found someone who asked the very same question i have, and no one replied to him !!

Yay !!

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 322
Bronze Member

Hi there,

B&O changed the tweeter, so this might be the reason for the different crossover.

Regards Chris

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Mon, Jan 4 2021 10:13 AM
I think it was me that asked the original question and I never did find out.

The later crossovers have less components than the early ones and not all of the changes are in the tweeter circuit.

As usual the bean counters probably got involved to make production cheaper. How this alters the sound I have no idea... but since I swapped the tweeters in mine for high quality titanium domed ones I’ve been very happy with them.
Kiwi
Not Ranked
Ohio USA
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Kiwi replied on Wed, Jan 6 2021 8:00 PM

The Cap refresh kit for the crossovers are only good for the later crossovers apparently.

https://www.beoparts-shop.com/product/crossover-capacitor-kit-beovox-beolab-penta/

Why is there not one for the earlier units ?  I seem to remember reading about a certain caps value being unobtainable - Is this true, and therefore the reason?

I guess im pulling mine out to see what i have. They were built in '89, so theres a small chance i have the later boards. If not, i guess ill be looking for a pair of the later units and then upgrade those :(

Lee, what Tweeter did you go with and did you alter the C/over ?

Kiwi
Not Ranked
Ohio USA
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Kiwi replied on Fri, Jan 8 2021 12:53 AM

Yay, i have the later crossover boards  8006027F & 8006028F so the Beoparts kit will work for me.

Can anyone verify the quality of the components in this kit please ? Are the caps in the tweeter/midrange circuit Poly ?

Is there a better solution ?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jan 10 2021 6:18 PM

Polyester capacitors were used by B&O where it gave meaning to use them.
The kits from Beoparts-shop contains capacitors custom produced by one of the worlds largest component manufacturers specifically to match
the specs of the original capacitors.
They are the closest you can get to the original caps (when they were new)..

Martin

Kiwi
Not Ranked
Ohio USA
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Kiwi replied on Mon, Jan 11 2021 2:34 PM

Good enough for me. Ordered. Thanks Martin :)

AndyF
Not Ranked
Inverness, Scotland
Posts 18
Gold Member
AndyF replied on Thu, Jan 14 2021 3:31 PM

Not bad..  Activity 4 years after asking the question!   No matter - just wanted to say that the component kit from Martin was first class and restored the glorious sound I remembered from '86 when I first got them.  Try 'Little Neutrino' at a good volume level to appreciate their capabilities.

Kiwi
Not Ranked
Ohio USA
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Kiwi replied on Mon, Jan 18 2021 10:26 PM

Andy, Thanks for confirming the kit quality and the eventual result after install. I have the crossover kit on the way !

You did crossovers AND amps though right ?  

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I just installed the crossover kit from Dillon in my Beolab Penta MK2. I didn’t expect much difference, but holy sh*t Big Smile

This just sound so pleasing!

Can’t believe I haven’t done it before.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Kiwi
Not Ranked
Ohio USA
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Kiwi replied on Sat, Jan 23 2021 3:50 PM

Thats encouraging - Thanks Leo :)

Im still waiting on parts for my midranges. I want to hear them assembled with the 30 year old crossovers first, so i can hear the improvements with the new caps, and then again with the amp kit installed. Fun project !!

AndyF
Not Ranked
Inverness, Scotland
Posts 18
Gold Member
AndyF replied on Sun, Jan 24 2021 2:03 PM

Hi Kiwi. 

Yes I did the amp at the same time - full cap replacement kit, including a new chip from Martin (Dillen). I also replaced all the mid range speaker cones. Well worth the effort to keep these beasts in top trim.  Enjoy the fruits of your labours!

BigKev
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
BigKev replied on Mon, Oct 11 2021 10:23 AM

Hi Dillen - do you do upgrades to Beovox Pentas? And are you based in CPH?

Best, Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS