Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

One or two CX100 as center speaker

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member
BeoLignage Posted: Wed, Aug 29 2012 12:09 PM

If I, with a non Beo 7.1 receiver, would like to use one pair of CX100 as front speakers and a second pair as center speaker, what to do?

If I then use a pair of speakers for the center channel I will have to connect them in series, and end up with 12 Ohm impedance (connecting them in parallel will yield 3 Ohm which is too low for the amp (min 6 Ohm)). I haven’t tried this but I fear that the sound level will differ, the calibration mic and program may handle it but I wonder if there is another way.

Does anybody know what the impedance of each driver in the CX100 are? I can’t understand how the CX50 has the same total impedance as the CX100 if the mid-range drivers are the same.

On the other hand if I use one single CX100 as center, I have one left over, and then one thought would be to use this one as single rear speaker, but I’m not sure how to get the “information” from both rear channels to the singel speaker. I don’t believe the amp is bridgeable, maybe again an internal wiring of the speaker could do the tric, again with an impedance issue.

Any suggestions

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 11:45 AM
It's generally not a good idea to have multiple center channel speakers. It will cause a smeared time domain response from the critical dialog channel - the center may be the most active speaker on a 5.1 setup. I have one of my home theater setups with 3 CX-100 fronts and 2 CX-50 rears that do a great job. You may want to explore using the other CX-100 as a rear center in a 6.1 setup, keep it as a spare, or sell it so someone else can enjoy a 3 CX-100 front channel setup.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member

The timing issue for wide speakers is of curse an issue and has been discussed in the forum before, when using two BL4000 or BL6000 as center. I also agree that the center is the most active speaker in most movies, and that’s also why I like to use two speakers. Less is more, may apply but I’m not sure at this time Smile.

What has not been discussed (as far as I have been able to find) is the impedance issues when using passive speakers in a HT set up.

Anyone who have details for the drivers in a CX100?

The receiver can be set to 6.1 and that is for sure a great set up as DMacri suggest. But it is not possible to have a 4.1 set up with R and L front plus front and rear center.

So how would it be possible to get use of the second CX100 for a single rear channel?

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member

...also, if you put the two CX100 on top of each other, lying down, so they almost form a cube, the time domain response would be as accurate as with one speaker(?)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS