Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

This looks interesting

rated by 0 users
This post has 43 Replies | 3 Followers

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 8:48 AM

Probably the original cover has been damaged and seller used a acrylic sheet instead. Doesn't look to bad!. Made a cover for my Beogram 6000 a while ago!

Brengen & Ophalen

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
Cleviebaby replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 10:34 AM
Leslie:

Made a cover for my Beogram 6000 a while ago!

Leslie,

That really looks something very special indeed!

Cleve
Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:56 PM

Thanks "Cleviebaby"!

Have been watching your Ebay ad for the 2nd time and I must admit that the cover looks pretty neat! The only thing that doesn't look right is the bolt to keep the lid leveled. There must be another way Hmm Think I'm gonna give it a try myself, got enough record players to play with....

Brengen & Ophalen

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:09 PM

But surely dust will get in around the sides! The LP always seems to have a degree of static so act as a magnet for dust. I have had a special cover made for my 3000 Thorens as the normal one will not fit (12" arm) and this has a simple cut out on the side so the arm protrudes. It cuts out most of the dust but some still gets through. The simple sheet design looks lovely but I don't think it is very practical !

3000lid by mcevedy, on Flickr

Peter

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:19 PM

Peter:

But surely dust will get in around the sides!

The simple sheet design looks lovely but I don't think it is very practical !

My thoughts too.
Neat design and a good idea but I doubt it will have much effect.

Martin

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 8:34 PM

The cover and record player looks great Peter. I think I'm gonna give it a try making a new acrylic cover for the Beogram 6500 etc. (with sides)!

Brengen & Ophalen

minimarvel
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
minimarvel replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 10:38 PM

Many thanks, didn't see the other thread. Spoke to the seller. He is an industrials designer and it appears it's a bit more complicated than a picec of acrylic sheet. Many audiophiles have a similar type cover for their high end decks apparently

I am going to buy one and try. Very knowledgeable guy that has been in analog audio for ever Apparently

Thanks again for your help.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 10:41 PM

Great! Let us know and please post a picture! Can't wait.....

Brengen & Ophalen

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 5:33 PM

Wow Peter that one again...

I WANT ONE 

In the foolishness of my teens I declined a TD124 and have always regretted it bitterly. 

Shame there wasn't a Garrard Beogram!

Jacques

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 6:51 PM

It is not very B&O at all IMO, not sure that I even like this design, makes the deck look like it came out of Japan :(

I am convinced B&O intended the 400x series to be used without the dustcover, I cannot see why else they would have made the lid lugs counterbore! Also they look even more gorgeous without lid too!

I would like for Leslie to make an alternative liftable lid for that range of decks, I think it would make a nice alternative to the original hinged version!

Olly

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 7:56 PM

Has Leslie cleaned one of his closets out?

http://tinyurl.com/8c8r3ed

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 8:12 PM

=

Step1:
Also they look even more gorgeous without lid too!

That's right!

Step1:
I would like for Leslie to make an alternative liftable lid for that range of decks, I think it would make a nice alternative to the original hinged version!

Will give it a try but I'm still in doubt if I'm gonna use the metal/alum. plate on top!

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 8:15 PM

tamtapir:

Has Leslie cleaned one of his closets out?

http://tinyurl.com/8c8r3ed

Holy bagger (crap)! Not meBig Smile

Brengen & Ophalen

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 12:20 PM

Leslie:

Will give it a try but I'm still in doubt if I'm gonna use the metal/alum. plate on top!

Hmm yes I see what you mean. Make two versions :-P

Olly

minimarvel
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member

New Cover.....I am made up...;-)

What I didn't realise is you can set the angle the same as the old sloped cover also. I am really pleased with the look. Th edges are polished and all in all

I think it is a huge improvement. Better still I rang the guy directly and he gave me £10 off. 

I looked at making one myself but with all the parts it was not possible as a one off.

Very Pleased indeed...

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 11:23 PM

And larger..... (pictures)

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 11:51 AM

Looks okay and someway stylish but I prefer to have lid closed on all sides. It's a cheap solution though (moneywise). Soon I'm gonna make 2 versions, with and without the metal top plate.

Brengen & Ophalen

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 12:13 PM

Thanks for the photos.
It's a nice cover and it will of course provide some protection but I still don't think it will be very good at keeping dust out.
Time will tell, I suppose.

Honestly, I don't like the sloping look.
It looks broken.

Martin

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 627
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 12:34 PM

I think it looks awful. And the color makes it look like it has stood in a smokers home for 20+ years... No - thumbs down

- Dennis

bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Thailand 5560 miles from Struer
Posts 363
Bronze Member

it does not look sloped on the ebay ad, looks quite good there

minimarvel
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member

Yes the pictures don't really do it justice. The colour is the same as the original, and they really do look like they have been in a smokers room for 20 years, as most of them might have. The quality and thickness of plastic is much better than the original.

It is fully adjustable so you can have it flat or sloping. I only saw the flat setting and bought it as that, but when fitting it I realised you could set the angle as you wish. The original was sloping on mine so I set it the same to try, and like it. It matches the angle of the B&O equipment it was designed to be next to.

They also supply it in black and clear, but I liked the idea of being able to see through it especially as mine is black chassis. The seller also said they can make it in any colour I wished if I waited a little longer. They have a solid black version with a mirror top also that might be interesting?

In relation to the dust, I find most dust settles from above and being very flat, it is easy to clean with a wipe. One of the other things I noticed on the old cover when removing it is how dirty it was on the inside, especially in the corners. There was a film that was almost impossible to remove and I think this is one of the reasons the original cover looked so awful and dirty. This new cover, because it is so simple, makes cleaning a breeze; wipe both sides with a cloth and it's done.

There might be another argument in relation to dust that it enters the playing area whenever the cover is opened to play a record. The closed cover then traps the dust and so it accumulates. Having a cover with the open sides stops dust from above from settling and makes it far easier to dust whatever debris does get in and is not blown away by air circulation. I have noticed that many, if not all, of the high level and in turn, very expensive Turntables being still manufactured and sold around the world, do not have a cover at all. Look at the JA Michell Gyrodec. Incredibly detailed yet no cover, the only one being offered as an option just covers the platter. There must be a reason?

In reality the new cover does make the deck look much more modern and certainly appeals more to younger people as my 2 sons voiced. Might not be for everyone, but if we all like the same thing it would be a very boring world.

If you have a old Beogram with a scratched and horrid lid, what other choice do we have. I tried very hard to find a new one without luck, and it's not expensive in this day and age.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 1:25 PM

minimarvel:

If you have a old Beogram with a scratched and horrid lid, what other choice do we have. I tried very hard to find a new one without luck, and it's not expensive in this day and age.

Well said, although some people still like to have them original even when it's badly scratched or damaged Huh? I don't!

The pictures on Ebay however does more justice then the pictures you took!

Brengen & Ophalen

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 5:27 PM

It's plastic ?
I thought it was glass.

Martin

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 5:58 PM

Dillen:

It's plastic ?
I thought it was glass.

Martin

Huh?Huh? Are you serious? No, the one of Peter's is glass...................................

Brengen & Ophalen

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:25 PM

The one on the Thorens is perspex. Not sure glass is a great idea - heavy and prone to breaking.

Peter

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:33 PM

I know Peter.  I was just wondering if Martin was serious!

Brengen & Ophalen

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:43 PM

You really need skills to get a perfect result! I don't think I could do that unless I have seen someone doing it!

Brengen & Ophalen

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 7:14 AM

Thinking about the original lid and how it is supported, I can't help thinking how much
will this lid sag in 20 years ?

Martin

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 7:59 AM

In 20 years time? It doesn't!

Brengen & Ophalen

minimarvel
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member

Yep Glass would be nice, but too heavy for the hinges for sure. I checked something else also, the weight of the new cover is the same as the weight of the old one.

Looks like there has been quite a lot of thought gone into it.

After much deliberation I have adjusted it to be parallel to the deck also. It does look better this way.

minimarvel
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member

In 20 years I would hope not to be here to care.;)

On a serious note, the material used looks different than normal perspex, it doesn't bend much at all.

I would have thought that perspex would have bent with the weight but this seems to be very rigid, especially considering how it is mounted. They did say it was a special material. Is there such a thing as reinforced perspex?

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 4:31 PM

Much better now!!

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

minimarvel:

In 20 years I would hope not to be here to care.;)

On a serious note, the material used looks different than normal perspex, it doesn't bend much at all.

I would have thought that perspex would have bent with the weight but this seems to be very rigid, especially considering how it is mounted. They did say it was a special material. Is there such a thing as reinforced perspex?

Perspex is a trade name, and is an acrylic (PMMA) plastic, Polycarbonate is another type (trade name Lexan), PMMA is used for aquariums, windows, picture framing, among a lot of other uses. Polycarbonate is easier to form and is  not as brittle as PMMA, is used for complicated forms, but is not as scratch resistant as PMMA, therefore an anti scratch coating is used where necessary. Polycarbonate is stronger with higher impact resistance, and is normally more expensive,

The cover here is thicker than the original and this gives it the same weight. Acrylic or Polycarbonate, could be both, but I think the Polycarbonate will sack easier with time. Both types should have a scratch resistant coating if used as cover.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS