Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

B&O amplifier performance.

This post has 87 Replies | 2 Followers

classic
Top 500 Contributor
Venø, Denmark
Posts 139
Founder
classic Posted: Sat, Nov 3 2012 4:22 PM

Many Beoworlders spend a lot of hours and money refurbishing the classic B&O products.

The normal “test” of all the effort is a listening to the sound quality, which is really ok and always needed.

Have you ever considered being able to measure the specifications and compare the specifications with the original B&O spec.?

I have for many years been using a system based on

PC

External soundcard – E-MU 0204 USB

And a very necessary interface for the soundcard – impedance converter on both input and output of the soundcard.

Software

Very technical but what can it be used for?

With this system you can measure the following specifications:

·         Frequency range

·         Distortion

·         Sensibility

·         Signal / noise level

·         Crosstalk

·         Damping factor

·         Output power

Why not use specific test equipments for these measurements?

Because the price of such equipment is very expensive – even if you find second hand equipment.

I have done the following:

·         I have bought the PC (of course), the USB soundcard and the software

·         I have designed, developed and build the interface / buffer test equipment.

The price level for the complete system is only a fraction of the price for dedicated test equipment.

The reason for explaining all this ……… perhaps someone would like to establish a very high performance test system for a relatively low cost?

If so – I would try to help.

I am not selling the equipment, but I would like to help by giving away the circuit diagrams, advises how to build a much more.

I can also supply the printed circuit boards and the alu front panel because I have already paid for the masks.

See some photo’s of my new 3.rd. generation of the soundcard interface / buffer.

Please contact me if you are interested in the project!.

/Frede

classic
Top 500 Contributor
Venø, Denmark
Posts 139
Founder

This is a top view of the test equipment.

classic
Top 500 Contributor
Venø, Denmark
Posts 139
Founder

This the PCB's and the Alu front panel for the equipment.

(You start from here Smile )

classic
Top 500 Contributor
Venø, Denmark
Posts 139
Founder

To day I have finish building this 3.rd. gen. interface / buffer and I have been testing the result.

I am really very happy about what i have gained by this new updated build. All the specifications of the test equipment have been improved quit considerable and my test of the classic B&O products in the future will be even more precise

The photo is of the build in RIAA amplifier, which means I can easily test any Beogram and get e.g. a frequency characteristic of the cartridge, measure the distortion af the cartridge and more.

/Frede

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 5:30 PM

A very generous and helpful offer Frede.

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:40 PM

This is very interestiing Frede and I for one would love to be able to measure equipment that I am working on without the worry of old equipment being out of spec :-)

Tell us more please!

BTW Have you considered software based wow & Flutter measurement? Would be superb as I am not sure my meter is up to scratch although the result I get suggest it is not at all far off!?

Olly

classic
Top 500 Contributor
Venø, Denmark
Posts 139
Founder
classic replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 6:45 AM

Step1:

This is very interestiing Frede and I for one would love to be able to measure equipment that I am working on without the worry of old equipment being out of spec :-)

Tell us more please!

BTW Have you considered software based wow & Flutter measurement? Would be superb as I am not sure my meter is up to scratch although the result I get suggest it is not at all far off!?

It is allready implemented. I have used the MKII of the soundcardbuffer for some years allready to measure wow, flutter and rumble on turntables and taperecorders.

The software for this is found here: http://www.audiotester.de/

(I actually suggested to the sofware developper to expand his software to be able to measure these specifications some years ago and as you can see on his webpage - he did. I also supported him to compare with the results of traditional testequipment)

/Frede

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

I must have done something stupid Unsure

But, respect for the amount of time it must have cost you to develope the circuitboards etc. 

Very interessted in the diagrams etc.

Did you finalize the project? As the pictures above shows us an unused switch and din-connector?

classic
Top 500 Contributor
Venø, Denmark
Posts 139
Founder
classic replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:18 PM

Beobuddy:

I must have done something stupid Unsure

????????????????

But, respect for the amount of time it must have cost you to develope the circuitboards etc. 

Very interessted in the diagrams etc.

Did you finalize the project? As the pictures above shows us an unused switch and din-connector?

Oh yes the procect is all finished by now.

What was missing on the photo's was the build RIAA preamp, it is in place and tested now.

/Frede

classic
Top 500 Contributor
Venø, Denmark
Posts 139
Founder
classic replied on Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:21 PM

If you are seriusly interested to build this project, please send me an email.

I am right now doing some work on the documentation.

/Frede

classic
Top 500 Contributor
Venø, Denmark
Posts 139
Founder

I have been testing the design and I am very happy with the results.Smile

The software for performing the test is: RightMark Audio Analyzer 6.2.3

The testsetup:

Test loop thrue:  Soundcard output -> Testequipment output -> Testequipment input -> Soundcard input.

So the result you see is the full system result!

/Frede

classic
Top 500 Contributor
Venø, Denmark
Posts 139
Founder
classic replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 7:48 AM

I have received a few questions regarding "what can be measured" with the soundcard and soundcard buffer ?

This is the parameters:

(I know because this is the parameters I am measuring on costumers products when I perform a full restoration)

FM receiver

Sensibility

Frequency range

Signal/Noise

Distortion

Chanel  separation

Crosstalk

Pilot tone suppression

You also need:  Signal generator  -  Radiometer re101 - Stereo coder Radiometer re SGH40 or similar

Software: TrueRTA - Audiotester

Amplifier (Power amplifier and preamplifier)

Frequency range

RIAA frequency response

Sensibility

Signal/Noise

Distortion

Chanel  separation

Crosstalk

Damping factor

You also need: Ground loop isolator (speaker output -> soundcard buffer)

You cannot measure:

Total output power (because the soundcard cannot handle voltages over 2v or less depending on the soundcard you choose)

This could be measured using: B&O Audio Monitor AM1

Loudspeaker

Frequency range

Sensibility

Distortion

You also need: Microphone - microphone preamplifier

Record player

Wow

Flutter

Rumble

You also need: A vinyl test record - one for wow and flutter and one for rumble

Software:  Audiotester

Cartridges - Pickup

Frequency range

Sensibility

Distortion

Channel  separation

Channel level difference

You also need: A vinyl test record for frequency range

Tape recorder - wheel to wheel or cassette

Frequency range

Sensibility

Distortion

Channel  separation

Wow

Flutter

You also need: Test tape for frequency range and for wow, flutter - if your tape recorder have separate heads for recording and playback you don't need a test tape for frequency range.

Software:

I am using......

TrueRTA - http://www.trueaudio.com

Audiotester - http://www.audiotester.de/

Test records:

I am using.......

wow - flutter:   B&O 3621016 - but you can use any test record with a constant tone of 3.16 kHz tesfrequency

rumble:  DIN 45544 Rumpel-Mess-Schallplatte

Frequency range: Brüel & Kjær Stereophonic gliding frequency record 20-20000Hz

Test tape:

I am using......

I have bought Revox test tape on the eBay

Test conditions:

I am using the DIN 45500.

Because this standard belongs to the classic products.

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member

Checking that all components fit into the box.

//Bo.
A long list...

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Bos00:
Checking that all components fit into the box.

You may have to squeeze  it a littleSmile

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member

Almost done, but i missed a few thing when ordering so I'll have to wait for those.

//Bo.
A long list...

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member

Testing the power supply.

//Bo.
A long list...

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is my start of the Classic Audio Tester project. I will try to just post some information on the project that hasn't been posted yet. I have between 80 and 90 percent of the parts in but it will likely be late January before everything arrives. The PCB parts, transformer, front panel and case arrived though so I started some of the mechanical work. Even though the boards, front panel and case all go together, there is some minor fabrication needed to make everything fit.

The front panel lines up perfectly with the mounting holes in case. However, the edges of the panel should be filed down (rounded) in order to fit properly in the case end cap. The main PCB also needs to be filed in four places so it will slide perfectly into the case. Some aluminum mounting brackets should be fashioned to secure the main PCB to the case. I used some angled aluminum stock to cut a couple of brackets.

My next step is to determine where holes need to be drilled in the case for my two mounting brackets.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is a before and after picture of fitting the main PCB in the case

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here are all the boards waiting for assembly.

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member

Getting closer.

//Bo.
A long list...

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 6:20 PM

Bos00:

Getting closer.

What did you do for your switches?  Were you able to find SPDT switches that fit the holes in the front plate or did you have to drill the holes bigger?  I haven't been able to find any switches with a mounting barrel diameter that small (4.7mm).  The smallest I found are 6mm so I got some of those but I was wondering if you found some smaller switches.

-sonavor

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 8:07 PM

sonavor:
What did you do for your switches?  Were you able to find SPDT switches that fit the holes in the front plate or did you have to drill the holes bigger?  I haven't been able to find any switches with a mounting barrel diameter that small (4.7mm).  The smallest I found are 6mm so I got some of those but I was wondering if you found some smaller switches.

No, I had to drill the holes slightly, to 6mm. 

//Bo.
A long list...

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 8:20 PM

Okay, thanks

-sonavor

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member

A little progress. Power supply and all relays and switches connected and working. Reaming is signal wires and grounding

//Bo.
A long list...

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 10:00 PM

So finally.

Testing

Result

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB
+0.01, -0.09
Excellent
Noise level, dB (A)
Excellent
Dynamic range, dB (A)
N/A
N/A
THD, %
Excellent
THD + Noise, dB (A)
Very good
IMD + Noise, %
N/A
N/A
Stereo crosstalk, dB
Excellent
IMD at 10 kHz, %
N/A
N/A
General performance

Excellent

//Bo.
A long list...

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 10:10 PM

Special thanks to Frede Kristensen for idea, design, instructions help & support.

//Bo.
A long list...

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

It is time for me to get back on track with building Frede's audio tester.  I got delayed when I thought I could do a Beogram 8002 repair while waiting for my audio tester parts.  Anyway, I have all of the audio tester parts so I am starting to work on it this weekend.  Mechanically I installed the two mounting brackets to the case for the main board.  I cut and shaped some angled aluminum stock with a small hacksaw and a file.  Next I drilled holes for the mounting points and tapped the holes in the aluminum with threads for the screws.  I used aluminum screws to secure the brackets to the case.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I finished up most of the mechanical work this weekend.  This picture is of the front and rear panels. I had to drill holes and cutout a section in the rear panel for the AC power recepticle.  On the front panel, I had to redrill the holes for the switches to make them larger.  I ended up increasing them to a quarter inch as that is the typical size for small toggle switches I can get.  The switches shown in the picture are some I ordered (6mm mounting hole) earlier...but I'm not sure I will keep them.  One of the seven switches broke so I ordered seven more (different brand - 1/4 inch mounting hole).  All of the metal cutting tasks should be over now so I can get to work on soldering components to the boards.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

It turns out I did have an extra toggle switch so I now have all of the components in place for the front and rear panels.  Last night I started soldering the PCB connectors for the main board and the large relay board. The large relay board to main board connectors took me a while to decide on - reviewing all of the pictures of the two, fully assembled testers.  I hink I have those ready to wire up (later).  The next step is to get all of the PCB components soldered in place.  Once that is done I will be able to do the wiring.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I managed to get some bench time this weekend and made a little progress. I have the Input Amplifier board done except for the grounding terminals.  The two Output Buffers are started.  I also have PCB edge connectors and component sockets installed.  On the Output Buffer I found a discrepancy with the schematic and the PCB regarding R15 and R16. The PCB and build example correctly show R15 as 68 Ohms and R16 as 6.8K ohms.  The schematic and parts list have them reversed (R15 as 6.8K an R16 as 68).  I installed them per Frede's example build.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I have most of the board components installed now.  I am short a couple of 2-pin board connectors (one for each RIAA PCB) and I don't have the jumper/test point PCB terminal posts installed yet.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I am finally ready for the board assembly and wiring everything up.  Here is a picture of the boards with the terminal posts soldered in.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Test fitting the boards in the case

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Another view of fitting the boards in the case. Here is looking more closely at the power supply and two output buffer boards. I will add the star grounding point next and start on the wiring.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I was able to put some bench time in this weekend and got the +-12 VDC power supply for the audio tester working.  The picture here shows the +-12 VDC measurements of the supply by itself.  In getting the power supply board wired up I discovered my installation of the main board didn't allow for enough adjustment.  There was a problem fitting the power supply board and the rear test panel. The AC power plug terminals stuck out too far (even when I bent them at right angles).  The fix for this wasn't too bad.  I realized I needed slots in my main PCB mounts that attach the board to the bottom of the tester case.  With the slotted holes I was able to adjust the position of the main board so everything would fit.  After adjusting the position of the boards, I ran the AC power ground wire to the star grounding terminal tab (green wire).  I ran one of the AC hot wires (red wire) to the front panel switch (through a connector).  The other side of the switch routes the power signal to one of the transformer input pins (white wire).  I connected the other AC hot wire (white wire) to the front of the tester and through a connector to the other transform input pin (white wire).  I used a connector for the wires from back panel AC input plug so it would be easier to take the tester apart if I need to.

On my 12 VDC power test, the on board blue LED that is next to the voltage adjustment trimmer doesn't illuminate very bright.  I used the same type of blue LED (in series with a 1K ohms resistor) for the front panel Power On indicator and it illuminates as bright as I expected. 

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is a better picture of the power signal wiring. The next step is to build the wiring runs from the front and rear panels to their respective PCB connectors. It is easier for me to solder all of those wires to the front panel locations without having the front panel mounted to the chassis.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is a picture that shows the underside connection of the AC active and neutral signals to the transformer inputs.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I started wiring the front and rear panel RCA jacks. I also added the shield wires on the jacks that where the shield wires go to the star grounding point. My wiring color scheme is red for right channel, black for left channel and green for shield wire that goes to the star grounding point.  I will use a different wire color for the RCA shields that go to the PCB signal ground.  I will also use some other wire color for the switches.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I found it a little difficult to determine the correct wiring for the Monitor & RIAA/Input switches to the relay card.  I believe this picture is correct now.  The relay control wires are connected to the Monitor Switch terminals that are normally open when the switch paddle is pointing to the output RCA jacks.  The relay control wires are connected to the RIAA/Input Switch terminals that are normally open when the switch paddle is pointing to the input RCA jacks.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

This picture shows more of the front panel wiring.  I connected the wires for the Input Buffer Gain Switch, Output Buffer Gain Switch and Calibrate Switch.  I also connect the left and right signal wires for the RIAA front panel RCA output jacks.  At the back of the tester I ran the left and right signal wires for RCA output jacks to the soundcard.

Page 1 of 3 (88 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS