Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoLab 5 allowable input voltage?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
Posts 168
Bronze Member
Doonesbury Posted: Sat, Sep 13 2014 3:28 PM

I currently have my BeoLab 5 speakers hooked up to an Integra  DHC-80.3 preamp through the line-out phono jacks.  The preamp has a rated output voltage of 1 V into 470 ohms with a maximum output voltage of 5.5 V into 470 ohms through the phono jacks.

I'm considering switching to a Powerlink plug with RCA input and 1/8" trigger at the speakers so the preamp will turn on the speakers via the trigger line.  I hope to be doing this with the surround and center speakers as well when I get them.

I believe the trigger line is to have a input voltage of 4.7 V.

What is the permissible input signal voltage for the BeoLab 5?  I don't want to "blow out" the input circuitry of these speakers.

D

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Doonesbury:

What is the permissible input signal voltage for the BeoLab 5?  I don't want to "blow out" the input circuitry of these speakers.

Hi,

The maximum input on a Power Link input is 6.5 V rms if it's a sine wave. This translates to 9.19 V peak.

However, if you're going to use the Power Link input on a BeoLab 5, you will also need to send it Power Link data so the loudspeaker knows the volume setting of the source. I honestly don't know what will happen if you try to use the Power Link input without Power Link Data.

Maybe one of the others on the list knows this. Steve - any idea?

If not, I'll ask around at work to see if I can find out the answer to this one.

Cheers

- geoff

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
Posts 168
Bronze Member
Doonesbury replied on Mon, Sep 15 2014 11:21 PM

Geoff Martin:

Doonesbury:

Hi,

The maximum input on a Power Link input is 6.5 V rms if it's a sine wave. This translates to 9.19 V peak.

However, if you're going to use the Power Link input on a BeoLab 5, you will also need to send it Power Link data so the loudspeaker knows the volume setting of the source. I honestly don't know what will happen if you try to use the Power Link input without Power Link Data.

Maybe one of the others on the list knows this. Steve - any idea?

If not, I'll ask around at work to see if I can find out the answer to this one.

Cheers

- geoff

I'm hardly a B & O audio expert, but your reply makes it sound like the audio levels into the BeoLab 5 are to be constant, with audio levels within the BL5 adjusted by another signal in the Power Link connection.  Is this correct?

If so how is one to use B & O speakers with a non-B & O preamp?

D

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Doonesbury:

I'm hardly a B & O audio expert, but your reply makes it sound like the audio levels into the BeoLab 5 are to be constant, with audio levels within the BL5 adjusted by another signal in the Power Link connection.  Is this correct?

If so how is one to use B & O speakers with a non-B & O preamp?

Hi,

That would be a logical, but partially correct assumption to make.

If you use the RCA Line input, then you can

• control the gain inside the loudspeaker using your remote control, OR
  • program a default gain in the loudspeaker and use your source to change the gain

If you use the S/P-DIF input, then you can

• control the gain inside the loudspeaker using your remote control, OR
  • program a default gain in the loudspeaker and use your source to change the gain, OR
  • control the gain inside the loudspeaker using Power Link Data via a Power Link input from a B&O master

If you use the Power Link input, then

• you must have a 5 V DC "turn-on" control voltage
  • you must have Power Link Data to tell the loudspeaker the current volume setting of the master
  • you also, of course, must have signal on the cable.

In the Power Link input case, the gain is actually changed in the source (the B&O Master), however, the signal-to-noise ratio of the BeoLab 5 is optimised for that volume setting using the Power Link Data input.

If you do not have Power Link Data coming in the Power Link input, you will get no sound.

You cannot use the RCA Line input and turn on the loudspeaker using a 5 V DC trigger on the Power Link input via a second cable. (we just tried this because no one here knew whether this would work or not...)

Note, however, that if your goal is to optimise your BeoLab 5 input for a line signal that is higher-than-normal, then you can change the maximum allowable input voltage of the RCA Line input from 2.0 V rms (the default) to 4.0 V rms.

Cheers

-geoff

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 10:54 AM

Løsningen er at logge den datastrøm et b&o produkt smider ud under opstart og skrive
en stump kode til en PIC (microprocessor), så den optræder som et b&o produkt.

Click here. - Sorry only in Danish.

/ Peter Pan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Yes - thumbs up

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS