Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolit FM band not working.

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

NickNike
Not Ranked
England
Posts 81
Bronze Member
NickNike Posted: Sun, Feb 8 2015 11:58 AM

Hi, I'm new to the forum and pleased to find a place wher help may be on hand.

I just purchased a Beolit 600 and the FM band seems dead. The MW and LW work fine. Is this a common fault. I'm thinking of stripping the circuit board out and checking the switches. And help or advice would be appreciated.

cheers,

Nick

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Feb 8 2015 3:50 PM

Welcome to Beoworld !

Which version of the Beolit 600 do you have?
Are there no sound at all on FM, hiss, static - anything ?

Martin

NickNike
Not Ranked
England
Posts 81
Bronze Member

Many thanks for the welcome. My history with B&O goes back to 1960 and I intend on purchasing some more product from that period (bad case of nostalgia coming on) and it is great to find forums dedicated to such an amazing product. Nice to know there is the possibility of experienced back-up from here.

The radio just says Beolit 600. It has a 7.5 volt power socket and 3 wave bands. It is the slim type with the 2 plastic side shells that can be removed and has the tuning slider, like a slide rule. The circuit sheet in the little envelope is for a 700, as also is the instruction book that came with it. ??? I can only assume they ran out of 600 literature at the time of manufacture. I believe the functionality is the same. Only the external power sources are different. BTW, is it realist to buy an external power supply from say Maplin, one that switches to 7.5v and comes with a range of plugs?

The only ID I can find is the serial No being 240755.

I think it is now working. I was not used to the fact that there is no static noise between stations. It is absolutely quiet between stations. This is a bad area for reception (Mansfield) and I can only get about 5 stations. None of them seem very loud, but rotating the telescopic aerial makes a big difference. So I think the volume problem is more to do with signal strength.Is it possible to make use of an external antenna to boost the signal?  When I set the volume above the 8 position, it gets distorted. Is this normal? I was expecting clean sound up to maximum volume on what was very expensive item in its day.

Nick

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Feb 8 2015 5:42 PM

Beolit 600 and 700 are very similar. The Beolit 700 will run off mains too.
A 7,5V adapter would be fine, just make sure to get the polarity
right (negative center pin if my fading memory stills serves - check the schematics!)..

Any amplifier not able to distort within the volume setting range is badly engineered.
Keep the volume within clear sound and you'll be fine. Smile

Press -AFC to disable silent tuning and enable the pickup of weaker stations.

Martin

NickNike
Not Ranked
England
Posts 81
Bronze Member
NickNike replied on Sun, Feb 8 2015 11:05 PM

Many thanks for the information. I wonder why it has the 700 literature (circuit/ instructions) with it? Have you seen this before?

More importantly, any tips on cleaning it. I particularly want to clean the two plastic cover shells, and don't want to use something that will destroy the plastic.

cheers

Nick

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Mon, Feb 9 2015 7:56 AM

What colour are the outer panels? I cleaned mine with a damp cloth and some washing up liquid after you have removed them. I would not use anything abrasive and I would stick to something like washing up liquid. They have the potential to come up really nicely though.

This thread was mine and shows the results (also after a re-string). 

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/11778.aspx

Cleaning the metal panels on the top I used a very fine cloth to get into the grooves and get out the dirt that sits in there. You can make quite a difference with an hours work really. 

Let us know how you get on,

Ben

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Mon, Feb 9 2015 7:57 AM

Also, it is not that unusual to have the instructions for the 700. Many of these radios were very similar as Martin says and there are not noticeable differences between the two models you have.

Ben

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Feb 9 2015 8:27 AM

Or the panels, where the envelope with the schematics sits, originally came from a Beolit 700.

Martin

NickNike
Not Ranked
England
Posts 81
Bronze Member
NickNike replied on Mon, Feb 9 2015 11:38 AM

Good thinking. Although the instruction booklet is a 700 as well. ???

Thanks guys for all the input.

Those red covers look nice. Might get one Smile

Pity the prices are so high for 45 year old electronics.Crying

However.

I'm building a display shelf . I have a couple of the B&o wooden soldiers and some other artefacts.

So I might get another one of a different colour. Mine is black.

It's nice to find a forum full of helpful people.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS