Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovision 8, streaming and HDCP

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Wordspace
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Wordspace Posted: Thu, Feb 9 2017 7:29 PM

Hello. My DVD recorder has bitten the dust, and I'd like to progress to video streaming from sources like Netflix. I have a Beovision 8/26 (2009 vintage). I'm thinking of using an Amazon Fire TV, connecting through the B8's HDMI port. My broadband download speed varies between 4 and 8, and I would link to the router via Ethernet rather than Wifi. Are these components going to be compatible, and how will I get over the HDCP restriction?

Please bear in mind I'm not at all tech-savvy, so please don't assume any more than the most basic of knowledge if you reply. Thanks.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi Wordspace and welcome to Beoworld.

That should not be a problem.

The HDMI interface is made for this kind of connection.

Always use wired for network, if you can.

Have fun with your BV8-26.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Wordspace
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Wordspace replied on Thu, Feb 9 2017 10:17 PM

Millemissen:

Hi Wordspace and welcome to Beoworld.

That should not be a problem.

The HDMI interface is made for this kind of connection.

Always use wired for network, if you can.

Have fun with your BV8-26.

MM

Thank you.

Am I correct to believe that this TV model is not equipped to deal with HDCP? If so, would a simple HDMI splitter overcome the restriction?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Wordspace:

Am I correct to believe that this TV model is not equipped to deal with HDCP? If so, would a simple HDMI splitter overcome the restriction?

What makes you think so?

And why would a splitter help (if help was needed)?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Feb 9 2017 10:43 PM

I think a simple solution for you is to use a decent HDMI cable and see if it works. The ethernet cable will connect to the amazon fire TV, and the HDMI cable will connect to the BV8 via the HDMI port. The only potential issue I see is if yo uwant to control the Amazon Fire TV with the B&O remote, you'll have to potentially take your BV8 to a dealer to update the PUC for use with the FireTV, as you can't update the PUC table on your own.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Feb 10 2017 1:25 AM

Sal:

I think a simple solution for you is to use a decent HDMI cable and see if it works. The ethernet cable will connect to the amazon fire TV, and the HDMI cable will connect to the BV8 via the HDMI port. The only potential issue I see is if yo uwant to control the Amazon Fire TV with the B&O remote, you'll have to potentially take your BV8 to a dealer to update the PUC for use with the FireTV, as you can't update the PUC table on your own.

My friend Sal is correct about possibly needing to have the PUC updated. We all cringe when we think about the need to send a BeoVision or BeoSystem to an authorized service center to be updated. It can be a little costly. $300 USD is not unusual for an update. Maybe less if you have a good relationship. Therefore, sometimes it's nice to look at solutions that can work WITHOUT the need for a PUC update. I have a BeoVision 8 at my law office. It didn't have much in the PUC when I bought it. However, a very nice little trick about the Apple TV is that the Apple TV can learn IR commands generated by devices that ARE in the BeoVision 8 PUC. This works beautifully. While not an Amazon Fire, the Apple TV can provide you with Netflix, Hulu, and just about anything else you need. I can attest that the BeoVision 8 HDMI has no problem with the HDCP with the Apple TV.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Feb 10 2017 2:46 AM

beojeff:

Sal:

My friend Sal is correct about possibly needing to have the PUC updated. We all cringe when we think about the need to send a BeoVision or BeoSystem to an authorized service center to be updated. It can be a little costly. $300 USD is not unusual for an update. Maybe less if you have a good relationship. Therefore, sometimes it's nice to look at solutions that can work WITHOUT the need for a PUC update. I have a BeoVision 8 at my law office. It didn't have much in the PUC when I bought it. However, a very nice little trick about the Apple TV is that the Apple TV can learn IR commands generated by devices that ARE in the BeoVision 8 PUC. This works beautifully. While not an Amazon Fire, the Apple TV can provide you with Netflix, Hulu, and just about anything else you need. I can attest that the BeoVision 8 HDMI has no problem with the HDCP with the Apple TV.

That's a great point! I always forget that the ATV has that feature!

Wordspace
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Wordspace replied on Wed, Feb 22 2017 7:41 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. Sadly, in spite of reassurances, with both the Amazon Fire Stick and Apple TV I was unable to see video from a GooglePlay streamed series. Instead I got the typical HDCP prohibition screen.

Interestingly, if I open my YouTube account on my iPad the purchased series is there. I link the iPad to the Beovision 8's HDMI port and it works.

Wordspace
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Wordspace replied on Wed, Feb 22 2017 12:52 PM

• What makes me think so? 
    I have already tried to view streamed material on the BV8, using my iPad and an Apple-supplied HDMI cable. The result was a screen carrying words to the effect that the device was not authorised to display the material. Unlinked, the material played without a hitch on the iPad screen. When I researched the problem on the internet, I read many posts in different fora which said that "older HDTV receivers do not have the capacity to deal with HDCP. Their HDMI was engineered before HDCP was introduced". Since the BV8 is now at least 8 years old, I assume it falls into the category of "older HDTV receivers".
  • Why would a splitter help?
    As I mentioned in my original post, I'm not at all technically savvy. However, my understanding (from reading the online fora mentioned in the previous point) is that HDCP piggybacks on the HDMI input. If one puts an HDMI splitter into the input feed, it separates the HDCP signal and sends it to null, allowing the streamed material to pass without interdiction.

I don't mean to be contentious – I asked for advice and am grateful for any advice that is forthcoming. I do want to add to the general fund of knowledge though.

Martyn
[Wordspace]

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS