Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Cleaning a Cona

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
Cleviebaby Posted: Thu, Apr 3 2014 8:05 PM
I have just bought a black Cona to complement my CX100s. They are a little grubby but have no scratches.

Any advice on the best way of cleaning them as I have no real idea of the material they are made from.

Thanks

Cleve
Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member

I've just used a very soft, new cloth and an anti-static furniture polish to good effect.  Someone must have a user manual with the B&O recommendation.

Dave

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice. Sounds sensible.

As far as the user manual is concerned, downloading it it was the first thing I did. It is, unusually for B&O guides, silent on the subject!

Cleve

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 11:46 PM

Yes,I looked at the user manual after I'd replied and it says nothing.  The first time you clean it, it may look patchy but it does get better if you apply the polish lightly and evenly - don't rub hard or you'll get dull patches.  If it's not been cleaned before it may be quite grimey.  I had to do mine as one of the cats curls up and sleeps in the top!

hope it works out.

Dave.

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

I had a white one.  It has a plastic finish and I once used a detergent (diluted Mr. Clean) to clean it.  I then applied a light coat of furniture (actually multi-surface) polish.

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
Thanks to you both for the advice.

I hope our ancient 'moggie' doesn't think it a suitable spot to curl up - she is huge and weighs 18 pounds!

Cleve
Professor David A Flynn JP
Top 500 Contributor
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts 116
Bronze Member

Cleve - read your query about the Cona.  I have used a various range of polishes especially on antique wooden finishes - this polish brings all wood up to a beautiful shine - called LIQUID GOLD, however, for cleaning materials especially odd materials, such as, tapestry, brocade, and stretch nylon finishes you can buy a product from LAKELAND or DUNELM MILL that will clean material without leaving it blotchy or discolour any part of it.  The name of the product escapes me at the minute, but if you ask some of the customer service can point you in the right direction.  The product you spray onto a dry cloth and just rub over in light sweeping motion - the dirt, grime just comes off.  Hope that this will assist you.  DavidLets have a Party !!!

Professor David A Flynn JP LM

Big Smile

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
Thanks David, but I'm not sure the products you describe would be wholly suitable for the Cona - it is made from some sort of plastic.

Really pleased to read elsewhere your very positive feedback on the site. I have been a member for some 5 years now and it has been an excellent source of advice and guidance.

The members are extremely generous with not only their time but with parts and even pieces of equipment.

There is a downside. You may find you have contracted the Beovirus - it's highly contagious and you seem to have started to present with symptoms of the primary stages of infection.

There is no known cure.

Cleve
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member

Cleve - tell me about it.  I think that this BEOVIRUS has already infected me.  I really can't believe how stupid I was to leave this Beocenter 2200 in the loft for such a long time.  My nephew is responsible as he was up noising about and discovered it.  Then of course, I thought that it wouldn't work and ended up buying the 4000 system from Ebay - that I am totally chuffed about - I have sound now coming from the drawing room and the living room - not at all the one time of course, but it could happen.  

Thanks for your advice and support much appreciated.

David

Big Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member

Cleve

Lakeland do a product that will clean a range of materials including plastic and would you believe it bakelite.  I was over this afternoon and the customer service manager said that they have a range of products that would suit you.

David

Big Smile

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
Thank you David, I will investigate my local branch.

Cleve
Chris
Not Ranked
Nottingham UK
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Mon, Oct 12 2015 12:12 PM

I know this is an old thread but since it is related I thought I would ask here, hope this is okay!

Hopefully I will be receiving a white cona soon. Apparently it is scratched and a little discoloured. This doesn't bother me too much as it will be living under my bed which I'm hoping the girlfriend will enjoy and make my CX100s look like they are amazing for their size if I keep the subwoofer a secret to the B&O naysayers (mad people)!

Is there a way to restore the plastic on the enclosure? Or does anyone know what type of plastic the cona is made from? Which would help me to find the appropriate product!

You know how we are though. If it can be improved, it will be!

Cheers for any help

Chris

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Mon, Oct 12 2015 1:50 PM

The Cona shell is made of the same black resin that was used as the chassis, frame or front baffle in many B&O speakers of the same era, and then painted black or white. So you would not be restoring the plastic, but the paint. Not sure if that helps!

--mika

Chris
Not Ranked
Nottingham UK
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Oct 13 2015 12:07 PM

Thankyou that helps enormously!

I can probably deal with the paint in a similar way to a car with any luck. Test an inconspicuous area first and all!

Chris
Not Ranked
Nottingham UK
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Oct 13 2015 12:07 PM

Thankyou that helps enormously!

I can probably deal with the paint in a similar way to a car with any luck. Test an inconspicuous area first and all!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS