Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 8000 - recloth frets for less than 10GBP

This post has 16 Replies | 3 Followers

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx Posted: Thu, Apr 3 2014 11:22 PM

I have just finished recovering the frets on my pair of BL8000 and thought I should share some pics..

I used a pair of 60 denier tights (pantyhose) - 40 denier is probably a marginally better match for the original fabric and was what I was going to use originally, but the ones I bought had a thicker reinforcement area near the top of each leg and would have been a little short if I'd cut this area off. 60 denier is still a very close match to the original fabric though and I'm very happy with the results.

Items required:-

ten 5mm x 5m rolls of double sided tape (2.99 GBP from ebay)

6.00GBP for three pairs of 60 denier tights (tesco)

A pair of scissors

(actually, the above is sufficient to re-cover three pairs of speakers, and one 5m roll of tape is sufficient if you are very careful about wastage)

1. Detach frets from speakers and remove existing cloth

Affix double sided tape to frame

Cut one leg from tights, remove backing from double sided tape, and slide the leg of the tights over the frame. I found it best to slide it on from the bottom of the frame leaving the toe of the tights at the end with hole for the LED - this means you have more fabric to work with around the top plate.

I then tied the fabric at the top to keep it in place whilst I worked and to ensure I had enough fabric at the end when it came to dealing with the top part.

Start cutting the fabric at the rear of the frame, starting at the bottom and press the fabric against the double sided tape as you go - this helps ensure the grain of the fabric remains square to the frame

Finally, remove the tie from the top, and maneuver the top part of the fret into place and the dress the fabric around it.

Trim off the excess fabric (cutting with scissors whilst stretching the excess fabric away from the line of tape results in a nice clean finish)

Reinstall the completed fret and you're done. Time taken approx 45 mins per speaker - and probably only 30 mins if you're not stopping to take photos Smile

Apologies for the poor quality photos, but taking them was a bit of an last minute decision - my digital camera wasn't charged and my mobile is in for repair so I ended up using a rather old camera phone.

Thanks and credit are due to Leslie for the inspiration of using tights for the re-covering.

Martin.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 8:15 AM
That looks like a beautiful job. Great work.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 7:06 AM

Perfect Martin, skills you have and that for less then a tenner.

Brengen & Ophalen

kl366
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
kl366 replied on Tue, Feb 26 2019 4:31 AM

This looks great! I’m trying to do this too, may I know where do you place the double sided tape? Just within the interior of the frame?

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Tue, Feb 26 2019 5:58 AM

Yes, all around the perimeter of the frame, on the inside, which is the same place that the original fabric is attached.

Best regards,

Martin.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Tue, Feb 26 2019 8:06 AM
Great job! I recently acquired a set of BL 8000 and I wonder how to remove the frets?

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder

Absolutely brilliant!  Top workmanship and a great idea. I never actually thought of putting a pair of ladies tights on some 8000's, so kudos for thinking of such a low-cost solution.

I'm not sure what the next step is for your 8000's after this.  What about replacing the iron bases with these? LOL !!

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Surely the speakers will be too close together to achieve the correct stereo spread!

Regards Graham

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Thu, May 2 2019 1:18 PM

did you also replace the acoustic foam?

samsp
Not Ranked
Posts 44
Bronze Member
samsp replied on Sun, Sep 8 2019 10:44 PM

Any recommendations on the type of double sided tape?

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Sep 8 2019 11:42 PM

I just used the tranparent craft stuff which usually has a red backing.

ed7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Bronze Member
ed7 replied on Mon, Sep 9 2019 10:51 AM

Yes excellent solution for the beolab8000 if you have a tight budgetBig Smile

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Sep 9 2019 12:44 PM

9 LEE:

Absolutely brilliant!  Top workmanship and a great idea. I never actually thought of putting a pair of ladies tights on some 8000's, so kudos for thinking of such a low-cost solution.

I'm not sure what the next step is for your 8000's after this.  What about replacing the iron bases with these? LOL !!

Unsure - Are they yours???UnsureUnsureErm..

Ban boring signatures!

Pti_pimousse
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Hi

great idea and result

well done

can you please confirm the size of pantyhose you chose?

thanks a lot

Pti_pimousse
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Hi

great idea and result

well done

can you please confirm the size of pantyhose you chose?

thanks a lot

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Wed, Aug 25 2021 5:43 PM

I just opted for the biggest size available. Too much fabric is better than not enough ;)

Pti_pimousse
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

😂😉 make sense

thanks a lot 👍

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS