Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The IKEA Uppleva TV

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Chris Townsend Posted: Fri, Apr 18 2014 5:25 PM

Just saw this advertised. I hate to say it, but should this not have been how the V1 was designed? Better features, and cosmetics you would expect from a company like B&O.

http://m.t3.com/news/ikea-unveil-new-uppleva-smart-tv-and-sound-system

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Second time this is mentioned on the forum - is that really new to you?

Those who know it and the V1 would not dream of 'comparing' them.

Here is a review from danish DR television - from april 2013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cALuHVDxqns&feature=youtube_gdata_player

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 5:54 PM

Over here in the US the big ad push lately has been by DirectTV touting a lack of wires as their new satellite boxes have wireless video. The guy shows a TV on the wall, waves his hand under it, and says, look no wires! Lost is the fact that if you hide the power wire in the wall as is obviously done, if they don't have TVs that work by magic, you can hide the other wires too. I wonder how many people will get these and get PO'd they still have the power wire to deal with?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 6:07 PM

This is better than the V1 ?

it reminds me of the Festival of Britain in the history books.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

As a design, yes.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

Thanks for the link Chris, this is the first time I have heard about this and its just what I am looking for! Finally someone gives us what we want! How is the picture quality though, that's the main question?

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

No idea. On holiday in Mallorca so I'll check it out in a week or so. First time I've seen it too.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 8:58 PM
I like IKEA they so understand their audience and never over stretch themselves like so many other brands who seemed to be on every street corner in the UK.

I really want to know what you Scandinavians drink to keep coming up with so many great designs.

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

ngnear
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 245
Bronze Member
ngnear replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 9:47 PM

The press release is from April 2012.

These TVs are now being sold off at drastically reduced prices here in Germany.

40" for €390

46" for €490

Tim

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 10:09 PM

"As a design, yes."

Chris , I do not consider this to be a good design , lacking the ability to change the viewing angle that is so useful on the V1 when wall mounted. Personally I find the style of the Uppleva quite sad and it's look  does not promise good sound . Still, it's cheap .

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The verdict in the review I mentioned above is: 'the furniture part' (the guide to assemple the stuff etc) is usual Ikea-worldclass - the 'technical part' is not a pleasant experience.

I would say: don't let Ikea marketing fool you.

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 10:51 PM

It will probably be a typical, cheap Asian LCD panel, probably with traditional tube backlighting. I wouldn't expect much out of it...Ikea is neat, but I find that most of their stuff I wish was say 25-50% or so more money and done better.

Jeff

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Sat, Apr 19 2014 12:38 AM
Is the v1 still being made??
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Apr 19 2014 1:16 AM

I think, from what I've heard, only the 32 inch V1 is being dropped because the company they buy the panels from stopped making that size. Which is too bad as I can think of a lot of places where a smaller set would be better.

Jeff

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

Correct. And the manufacturer of the V1 panels is Hanspree, who are an Asian company renound for making cheap outlandish TV's in the shape of footballs and fury animals!

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

Correct. And the manufacturer of the V1 panels is Hanspree, who are an Asian company renound for making cheap outlandish TV's in the shape of footballs and fury animals!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

What are you trying to say, please?

MM

JanB
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Bronze Member
JanB replied on Sat, Apr 19 2014 9:27 AM

The design of the V1 is perfect IMO. The design and quality of the IKEA Uppleva TV is just ridiculous. So no if B&O ever go that way, using panels from cheap chinese manufacturers and that sort of quality or design B&O will go out of business instantly. 

A friend of mine was "fortunate" enough to come home after a weekend out. His girlfriend surprised him with the IKEA The Uppleva TV. He's not happy btw. First hand experience of the The Uppleva TV makes me say that it is a piece of crap. The picture quality is one of the worst I have ever seen. Performance regarding sound is a joke. Smart-tv features are so slow it's basically useless. 

The idea of putting all these different features into one unit is good. The execution of the idea is an utter failure. 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Apr 19 2014 9:38 AM

The V1 picture and sound are very good and one is reminded when seeing the TV in a hotel or in other people's houses .

To put a cheap picture and speakers in a fixed viewing position in a particleboard piece of furniture is not B&O . Since wall mounting our beocenter 6 on a plasterboard wall I've noticed a positive effect on sound though. 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

Janb, that was my point. Putting all those features into one unit is a great idea. Like the Beocentre 1 used to have.

I see Geneva audio now do a stand with built in speakers and space for your boxes etc. Looks and sounds fantastic.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Apr 19 2014 12:30 PM

"I see Geneva audio now do a stand with built in speakers and space for your boxes etc. Looks and sounds fantastic."

thats the same price as a V1 but you have to add a TV ; it will be superior to a fibreboard piece of furniture and the TV will be able to turn . 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 11:58 AM

The uppleva is horrible. It launched almost at the same time as the V1. The V1 is a quality product with good design (good interface, user experience, sound/picture/hardware quality) and Uppleva is nothing of that, it is just cheap and bad.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

http://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/23135/

Incredibly cheap for a Television. They don't seem to have them in the UK at the moment.

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 10:47 AM

Chris Harrison:

http://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/23135/

Incredibly cheap for a Television. They don't seem to have them in the UK at the moment.

Looks good for a smart tv with 3D. The remote looks nice and simple... If it had a chrome finish it would not be too far away from the BC1 original remote.

Graham

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Sep 29 2015 10:55 AM

It is self assembly....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89taazMC6FE

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS